Refillable gas system -- what did you fit and why?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by normanandsue, Jan 8, 2014.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

I am intending to fit a refillable gas system and have settled on 2 refillable 11Kg bottles with an automatic regulator to switch between bottles.

There seem to be several systems; which systems have Funsters used and why did you choose it?

Norman

2. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

twin 11kg Gaslow with auto change over and external fill point

Fitted free by dealer and with a good discount

easy to fill, just drive up to LPG station and fill (like diesel)

Cheaper gas than Calor

No waste

No worries about running out

:thumb:

3. mick noe

mick noe Funster

gasit same as gaslow but a little cheaper fitted myself easy :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Hi Norman,

I have 2x11kg Alugas cylinders fitted with an automatic changeover. I chose Alugas cylinders because of the weight.

I originally fitted only one with a calor 6kg as a backup. However I found that during the winter I used one cylinder with 5 days because even on hookup our water and heating was from gas because the boiler has no electric element. So I had a second fitted to give me longer between fill and also because breaking into the calor meant considerably more expensive gas. I can fill one 11kg alugas for about half the cost of a 6kg from calor.

If I was going top fit Steel cylinders I would fit a Gas-it system because it is much cheaper than gaslow system for the same thing. Except the bottles are red not yellow.

Obviously there is an initial outlay but the system can be transported between vans if I change or has a sale value should I no longer want it.

Hope this helps.

John

5. Mel

Mel Funster

Twin LPG Gaslow with auto chngeover
    Why Gaslow? I got it cheap from a friend in the UK.
    Had it first on our caravan then transfered twice onto mitorhomes.
    I am very happy with the system but I understand Gasit is the same but cheaper.
    I did have a problem with the regulater in France and damaged it trying to fix it
    Gaslow replaced it without ever asking for the old unit and posted it to Belgium.
    So for me top class service.

Mel

6. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

We have 2x 11Kg Gaslow, but opted for a manual changeover so we know when we are 'half way' through our gas. If I was to order one again I'd probably go for GasIT - same but cheaper as far as I can tell.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

2 x 11Kg Alugas with manual changeover. As John says, lower weight.

We can have one or both bottles open at the same time. Normally we have one bottle open and open the other when we are away whilst the first is getting low. It's no hardship to check the level every so often (I usually do it at the same time as emptying the Thetford cassette).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Alugas for me.. chap was extremely helpful, sold me only what I needed and no more.. worked out £140 cheaper than Gaslow ( and Gaslow people just came across as sell sell sell.. not really interested in what I needed or wanted )
    Had the system in for a few years now.. Love it to bits and reckon it has MORE than paid for its self

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The thing abut a refillable gas system (as with solar panels) is that it isn't all about cash. The real value for us is in allowing us more flexibility on how we use the van. I haven't tried any accurate costings but it's worth it :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

I can recommend autogas 2000! I got an alugas 11kg bottle with external fill point fitted in October. Then to save messing on with a spare calor I went back to them and got a steel bottle as well. The rv steel bottle is great value and works with the light alugas bottle as well. We decided to fit the extra bottle ourselves and autogas 2000 were great! I got good advice and they answered all my questions.... I'm sure I will have more!!!!

The good thing about getting the system fitted by someone who has a no site lpg pump means they can show you how to fill up and what to expect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

2 x 11kg Alugas cylinders for the weight saving and fitted a Gaslow auto changeover valve which I only use on those rare occasions the in service bottle is getting very low late at night or in poor weather. Absolutely magic win win all the way, no more struggling to change bottles after a few glasses of red.

And despite those claiming they never pay for themselves absolute tosh, savings start once fitted and easily sold on fleabay should the worst happen.

One of my best ever accessory purchases :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Gas-it for me. Two reasons:

1. They are cheaper than the competition,

2. They are based close to where I live.

I elected not to have an automatic changeover as emptying one bottle signals "fill up" time while still having a full cylinder left to use.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I can see that, but the advantage of automatic is that you don't run out at an inconvenient (middle of a cold night!) time. The change over valve goes from green to red so you still know when the first one has emptied.

For me it's all about convenience :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Had Alugas system with external fill point fitted to previous van with 1 x 11kg cylinder (fitted by Dave Newell). Chose Alugas because we were very tight on payload on this van. When we changed to our current van we had the Alugas cylinder swapped over and then just had to pay for another external gas point to be fitted.
    We also bought all the various different filler connections for Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

refillable gas systems

Hi, we went for 2 x 11kg Gas low, fitted by Edgehill Motorhomes where we bought the van. I'd only ever heard if and seen Gas low up to then so didn't shop around. Its a personal choice, but I prefer manual changeovers and don't find the checking of the cylinder level a chore. I always fill up when one is empty. Reasons for fitting?
    Running costs obviously but that wasn't the main reason.
    No longer having to lug heavy cylinders around, or hope they have one in stock when you need one.
    Plenty of places you can fill up, home and abroad.
    High quality cylinders and pipes.
    I can't see us ever switching back.:thumb:

16. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

We went for one 11kg bottle from Gas It. Fitted it with the help of Bob and Jane. Very helpful at Gasit only sold us what we needed. We store the van so it's been invaluable. I have also done the figures and it has nearly paid for itself.

Sonja

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

I went for 2x11KG Alugas bottles from Auotgas 2000 Ltd & fitted them myself. Great customer service, great system & they give a discount to 'fully paid up' funsters. Also, as I had purchased the system from them they gave us a discount on the euro adaptors I purchased a couple of months later. :BigGrin:

18. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I went for a 2 x 6kg Gaslow system with auto changeover which is very good. Just changing it for a fixed LPG tank but only because I got a brand new unwanted tank and fittings at a very good price. Needless to say, I now have a very Gaslow system in very good condition up for sale........

19. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Gasit 1 x 11Kg bottle system .Reasons :

Gasit customer service was very good .Fair advice on what was best for our requirements . No attempt to try and sell us what we didnt need.

Cost ( at the time ) for the kit was a fair bit cheaper than Gaslow .

20. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Chocks, I have an Eberspacher heater so no problems with running out of gas during the night heating wise. "Fridge wise", not sure how long that would last.

Did I mention I was paranoid?
    :Wink:

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2