Reduced fuel consumption and extra power (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I needed ( possibly wanted rather than needed) a new exhaust for my van. I realised that the off the shelf exhausts were poor quality and as my van is a motorhome the standard ones did not fit. The brackets were in the wrong places etc. I have had a number of custom stainless steel systems on cars but all they seemed to do was sound good, they didnt improve performance or MPG. I heared about a company called Vortex in Grays Essex and noticed that they had been in business a long time and offered a patented vortex system which promised to improve power and MPG. As a sceptical northerner I thought extra power and MPG were myth, we have all seen the so called magical MPG improvers sold on Ebay and at shows and snake oil comes to mind. The vortex company have a great website and supply systems for bikes, cars, busses, taxis, trucks and ships. I couldn't find any bad feedback on the web and after loads of research and putting it off I booked my van in and had the system fitted yesterday.

I thought I would let you know all the differences I noticed while driving home.

The system they fitted was designed to be very quiet has 1 vortex and 3 straight through silencers. They know exactly how many and what size silencers to fit to give you the sound level that you require. I wanted mine very quiet. They don't hang low down like the original one so wont hit bumps in the road like my old one did

My van is a 2.8jtd pulling 4.5 tons on a TAG axle luton motorhome body (brick on wheels).

On pulling away my van was quieter, smoother and had more throttle response. Right through the gears and rev range it was smoother and quieter, I could hear a slight extra rumble when under harder acceleration where before this would have been a louder courser roar that would drown out my radio and make talking on my Bluetooth hands free impossible. I can now use my phone on hand free at all speeds, this was not possible before. I used to have to louder and lower my radio on the motorway with speed which I now don’t need to do. On hills I have noticed a great improvement and once past the war zone of the M25 I put the van in 5th gear and it stayed there for around 200miles until I left the motorway near Leeds, this was not possible before. Overtaking slower trucks on hills used to be a gamble as sometimes they had more power than me and speeded up causing me to have to pull in behind them. On my trip home this did not happen and bearing in mind I never left 5th gear this is even more surprising.

My van feels like a newer vehicle, quieter smoother and less stressful to drive. It’s possibly safer to drive as I don’t have to keep messing with my radio or changing gears.

On my trip out I used 58.37ltrs of diesel and the trip was clear roads with very little wind. On my return trip I used 51.63litres but the trip was 2 miles longer and the weather was windy pretty much all the way, I also got stuck for a bit in traffic and the van was filled before they did the emissions test so some fuel will have been used for the tests and during the exhaust fitting.

No negatives at all a great system and great people to deal with. Both knowledgeable and friendly.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
A ballpark figure would be helpful. Certainly sounds interesting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi Jezport,sounds like they have fitted an excellent system ,anything to save fuel these days is a bonus .the big question how much LOL.cheers.H.:thumb:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The full system from manifold back including 1 vortex 3 silencers is £900+vat.
Prices start from £675+vat.
The system is all in 304 grade stainless steel and has a lifetime guarantee.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I forgot to mention that they tested emissions before and after as proof that the engine runs cleaner through the new system.

I have left the print out in my van and will enter the figures later.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The full system from manifold back including 1 vortex 3 silencers is £900+vat.
Prices start from £675+vat.
The system is all in 304 grade stainless steel and has a lifetime guarantee.

Plus £140 in fuel to get darn sarf and back ? :ROFLMAO: A dear do I'd say :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Plus £140 in fuel to get darn sarf and back ? :ROFLMAO: A dear do I'd say :ROFLMAO:

I could have used one of their franchises nearer but wanted to see their HQ and meet the man who invented the vortex.

I also stopped there overnight for free so that should please some funsters :Smile:
I also got my " I drove the M25 and lived to tell the tale" badge. 4 people died there in 3 different crashes.yesterday :Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks very much for the information.

Very interesting indeed.

The sort of thing I would have had fitted three years ago without batting an eyelid but...

...will I live long enough to make it financially viable?

Now I am a struggling old age pensioner I have to be so careful with money...:Cool:

JJ

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
you spent about £154 in fuel to get that fitted then the cost of the exhaust against another make, how many miles will it take to recover the cost?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
you spent about £154 in fuel to get that fitted then the cost of the exhaust against another make, how many miles will it take to recover the cost?

Does it actually matter? Jezports obviously loves his van and is a happy bunny now he has had it fitted.

Just read his post and see the pride he has in it.

Peter

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Does it actually matter? Jezports obviously loves his van and is a happy bunny now he has had it fitted.

Just read his post and see the pride he has in it.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

The fuel savings promised were the icing on the cake. The rest of the improvements I have experienced are enough to merit my investment.

Some people spend over 2K on a satellite system when a £50 suitcase system still does the job. its their choice. I could have put a lower standard exhaust on my van but wanted better so bought better. I m happy with my choice.

You are all welcome to take a look at it at Peterborough.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And your happy! Thats what matters.

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
I haven't been a member of this forum for very long so forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions. But, it seems to me that the the negative or positive response people get to posting their upgrades or purchases are directly related to how much it cost. To be more precise, and it's a subtle but important difference, how much they were prepared to spend in spite of the relative benefits.

We all love the posts where somebody reveals how they fashioned from nothing a far less expensive alternative that works just as good. Who doesn't like to save money. But when someone wishes to spend a lot of money on something that's important to them, that interests them, they're often on the receiving end of negativity. As soon as I see a post posing the question......"how much?"....or..."ball park figure"?? I wince as for sure, if it cost more than a night out at the flicks in 1977, I know what will follow.

I for one will never answer the 'How much' question again. Indeed, I am reluctant to post anything regarding upgrades that cost significant sums of money. It doesn't mean your wealthy and stupid because you buy something that within the life expectancy of your van, has no clear monetary return. It simply means you have the money to do it and it gives you pleasure. My hydraulic levelling jacks cost a fortune relative to the yellow ramps that used to frustrate the shit out of me (...."tosser...???") but I can tell you there is nothing that gives me more pleasure than pressing that button and watching six tons level itself out (...."six tons?? why does he need one so big?"....). Ok, there are some things that give me more pleasure, but thats for another post. On another forum.........!

Good on you for spending the money on an exhaust that gives you so much satisfaction and who cares if you never get a complete return on your investment! You already have. The return is not simply recouping the cost, if it was, who the hell would even buy a van in the first place? The return is the subtle, warm glow when you feel the choice you made works. And if it only works for you, who cares.

And yes, I know, a forum is there for all to post their opinions. But there is a difference between an opinion and a veiled......"pfah! I wouldn't be a stupid as you...." Come on, thats not an opinion, thats a jibe.

Anyway, I've just looked out of the window of the van and the sun just made itself known so I'm orf up the spiral staircase at the back of the van to chill out in my roof top spa pool and watch a bit of telly on me pop-up 92" plasma if the winds not too strong............that is of course, if nobody minds?..........:Cool:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I like to know how much someone has paid and what the advantage or disadvantage and other people's opinion positive or negative
It allows me to make informed choices
But don't put people Down at the end of the day it's about what you want and can afford to spend
I want a motorised sat dish can't afford it yet so it's a 10 bob spike and a £20 dish but I will be watching tv
I did not think I could have afforded to go to morocco next year till I read some of the posts on here and I may have decided we could not go without the comments I have read

So there

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
I like to know how much someone has paid and what the advantage or disadvantage and other people's opinion positive or negative
But don't put people Down at the end of the day it's about what you want and can afford to spend
I want a motorised sat dish can't afford it yet so it's a 10 bob spike and a £20 dish but I will be watching tv
I did not think I could have afforded to go to morocco next year till I read some of the posts on here and I may have decided we could not go without the comments I have read

So there

Couldn't agree more..........:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I haven't been a member of this forum for very long so forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions. But, it seems to me that the the negative or positive response people get to posting their upgrades or purchases are directly related to how much it cost. To be more precise, and it's a subtle but important difference, how much they were prepared to spend in spite of the relative benefits.

We all love the posts where somebody reveals how they fashioned from nothing a far less expensive alternative that works just as good. Who doesn't like to save money. But when someone wishes to spend a lot of money on something that's important to them, that interests them, they're often on the receiving end of negativity. As soon as I see a post posing the question......"how much?"....or..."ball park figure"?? I wince as for sure, if it cost more than a night out at the flicks in 1977, I know what will follow.

I for one will never answer the 'How much' question again. Indeed, I am reluctant to post anything regarding upgrades that cost significant sums of money. It doesn't mean your wealthy and stupid because you buy something that within the life expectancy of your van, has no clear monetary return. It simply means you have the money to do it and it gives you pleasure. My hydraulic levelling jacks cost a fortune relative to the yellow ramps that used to frustrate the shit out of me (...."tosser...???") but I can tell you there is nothing that gives me more pleasure than pressing that button and watching six tons level itself out (...."six tons?? why does he need one so big?"....). Ok, there are some things that give me more pleasure, but thats for another post. On another forum.........!

Good on you for spending the money on an exhaust that gives you so much satisfaction and who cares if you never get a complete return on your investment! You already have. The return is not simply recouping the cost, if it was, who the hell would even buy a van in the first place? The return is the subtle, warm glow when you feel the choice you made works. And if it only works for you, who cares.

And yes, I know, a forum is there for all to post their opinions. But there is a difference between an opinion and a veiled......"pfah! I wouldn't be a stupid as you...." Come on, thats not an opinion, thats a jibe.

Anyway, I've just looked out of the window of the van and the sun just made itself known so I'm orf up the spiral staircase at the back of the van to chill out in my roof top spa pool and watch a bit of telly on me pop-up 92" plasma if the winds not too strong............that is of course, if nobody minds?..........:Cool:
I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU. WELL PUT.:thumb:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I posted the info on this product because I wanted other members here to see a real unbiased owners report on a product that makes a lot of claims. I chose from a large number of manufacturers because of vortex having a top reputation and their staff being knowledgeable and friendly. I have fitted custom systems before and have never seen such a difference after fitting. I thought members should be informed about a quality item.
By the way, you can pay far more vortex are not the dearest by far.

Last edited:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Lose the negativity...

I am also new here and have noticed this " so your a rich idiot/more money than sense/bragging" style responses to what some might perceives to be expensive upgrades... What gives? if it doesnt suit you, move on, dont "flame" the poster.

I enjoy reading product reviews and real life experiences, I have learned loads about the "game" and whilst i cannot afford this level of investment, its deffo on my "wish list" as I might want to save for it.

So thanks for the insight, keep it up and to everyone post your stuff up, inexpensive or not, it helps the newcomers like me and i am sure it helps others make more informed decisions later.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

So there

Could not have said it any better. :Smile:

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I spend thousands on my other half over the years but the look on her chubby chops makes it all worth it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Cos she's worth it.:winky:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Slideshow
http://s478.photobucket.com/user/jezport/slideshow/Vortex

Vortex

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Jez

Take no notice of the whingers on here, you're happy with your system and the benefits you've got from it, so enjoy it.

Many people spend loads of money on souping up their campers, attaching booster systems to try to increase the efficiency and/or speed, and you've managed it by just installing something that is a necessity and will last a long time in the process. :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Very interesting, be nice to see longer term if the mpg benefits continue. I like the effects on noise in the cab, what price do you put on that?
There is another cost to be is counted, what a standard system would have costed anyway, so maybe the additional cost of the Vortex system is the element to look at when considering a purchase.
I hope you can give us a longer term report at some stage, as I bet quite a few will be considering this system now.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My next long run is to Peterborough and back. If anyone wants have a look at my van we will be on stand 127A

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back