Red Kites today (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Finally saw some of these Red Kites that everyone is on about today.
What elegant creatures they are and very beautiful :thumb:.

Well worth a visit to Jim's campsite if you love seeing wildlife like this.

Just watch out for the RAF flying below you as they can make you jump and spill your coffee :ROFLMAO:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Certainly a success story on the re-introduction.
Lots and lots on the M40 corridor around Marlowe.
We have seen a few around the Surrey area and two days ago we had a pair circling above our house.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Certainly a success story on the re-introduction.
Lots and lots on the M40 corridor around Marlowe.
[HI]We have seen a few around the Surrey area and two days ago we had a pair circling above our house.[/HI]

They do that as you get older Graham :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Driving from Forest Row to Stafford a couple of weeks ago along the M25/M40 we saw a number of large birds of prey. Too far away to see what they were but they were a great sight to see.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Driving from Forest Row to Stafford a couple of weeks ago along the M25/M40 we saw a number of large birds of prey. Too far away to see what they were but they were a great sight to see.

Essex girls :Smile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There are so many round here they are becoming a problem. Several now in Oxford city, we have 2 regulars here, 1 mile outside the centre. People are feeding them, in spite of being warned not to, and they are becoming more aggressive. However, the crows often see them off!

Driving down the M40, in a spot near High Wycombe you can sometimes see 30 or 40 circling together over the motorway. Often see dead ones on the motorway too...

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Finally saw some of these Red Kites that everyone is on about today.
What elegant creatures they are and very beautiful :thumb:.

Well worth a visit to Jim's campsite if you love seeing wildlife like this.

Just watch out for the RAF flying below you as they can make you jump and spill your coffee :ROFLMAO:

There's normally at least two circling above our house (near Reading). They're probably the most common bird in the sky (presumably the others are hiding).

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
They do that as you get older Graham :roflmto:

Just read that as I was about to take a mouthful of coffee.

I did laugh.

I know its true Jim. I was in London on saturday and a young lady on the tube stood up and offered me her seat.:ROFLMAO:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Just read that as I was about to take a mouthful of coffee.

I did laugh.

I know its true Jim. [HI]I was in London on saturday and a young lady on the tube stood up and offered me her seat[/HI].:ROFLMAO:
Saw one in Corby last week.

images

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Chinnor cutting ? M40,used to love going through there,the sky was full of them;
Tea Bag

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We have loads overhead in Thame :Smile:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
When you see them flying they certainly are very graceful.
But you won't see how very colourful they are until they get close up.

There are a number of feeding stations around notably Grigin farm and another one near Llandeilo.

Been to that one, think it was a fiver a head to get into the hide.
You park in a pub car park a few hundred years away and walk down the lane to the hide. As you do so the birds are gathering, usually 50 or so, and fly patrol along the hedgerows, usually with 10 ft of you. Then you really see the colours.

Peter

Ps they always feed at the same time in the afternoons, 2 pm in winter and 3pm in summer.

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
love red kites, theres a café in stokenchurch where every lunch time they bring out the scraps left over from breakfasts, its called Chris's café , they put them out in the car park and the kites swoop down and take them, they must be able to tell the time as they know exactly what time to turn up, there must be at least 50 of them there everyday.

Cotswold falconry centre has a black kite and a yellow billed kite they fly every day, they also have two red kite chicks who they will be flying next year.

I live near potters bar in Hertfordshire and we get them here so they are definitely spreading out, lovely to see over the back garden.

oh and misses tiggywinkles animal rescure centre in thame has a load of them wich are being reabilited to be released back in the wild, if you want to get up close to them that's the place to go

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbIwgy87PRs"]Tiggywinkles - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
l
oh and misses tiggywinkles animal rescure centre in thame has a load of them wich are being reabilited to be released back in the wild, if you want to get up close to them that's the place to go

Tiggywinkles - YouTube
They won't let you go anywhere near the animals so that they don't become accustomed to humans.

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
They won't let you go anywhere near the animals so that they don't become accustomed to humans.

as you can see in the video above, you are only feet from them, that's a lot closer than you would get in the wild.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
as you can see in the video above, you are only feet from them, that's a lot closer than you would get in the wild.
I've taken a few animals there and always been kept away :cry:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When you see them flying they certainly are very graceful.
But you won't see how very colourful they are until they get close up.

That's the two things that surprised me the most. They took off from a tree near me and they were not only huge but colourful and beautiful.

Then their grace in the air stunned me. Not a single flap of the wing and within 5 minutes they must have been 1,000's of feet in the air. You could see them catching thermals..

Started to rain now so no more watching :Sad:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For those who haven't seen one this is the best picture I could find online and even this doesn't do them justice.

Milvus_milvus_R%28ThKraft%29.jpg

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I was out near Pateley Bridge last year and cruising gently on the bike when one took up position on my left and kept pace for over a mile. It did it without effort. Truly amazing and spectacular.

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
when I was out flying my paramotor one summer down near newbury I had two buzzards come and circle around me for about ten minutes, think they must have been curious, they fly with such ease :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back