LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi George, I am interested. The current situation seems that the fuel derogation finishes 01/11/08

As usual the rules are stupid, no red diesel will be allowed in use after that date, so this means that people with larger tanks are going to half to finish using it before this date, which means that the suppliers will have to switch over to it way before this date. Also, in another bit of Government incompetence, there has been no official answer to the questions posed like "OK so I go to the Channel Islands, and have to fill up for the return trip, As the channel Islands will continue to use red diesel, ignoring Brussels, what happens when I return to a UK port? Will this be allowed? If not what are the official proposals?

As usual an ill thought out, money grabbing left wing tax to grab money. It is great to see the current raft of Ex ministers (Blair’s boys), taking up there Board seats and Directorships on huge salaries, (Former trade minister Ian McCartney has been appointed as an £115,000 a year adviser to US engineering giant Fluor who make and decommission Nuclear power stations) Two months ago hosting meetings, this month

No doubt, there will be some who question why boaters should not pay the duty on fuel, but given that a percentage of the duty is pay for the up keep of the roads and the highway services, and the fact that every boat in the country has to pay to be moored or stored (there is no free public parking as there is for cars) and the only real emergency service is run by volunteers on donation and membership, the question really has to be, what will we get for the extra tax? Free marina’s? free use of the rivers and Estuary’s? free moorings? Of course not.

Over 500,000 immigrants flooded into the UK last year, and about 400,000 emigrated! I wonder why? I know that we need Polish builders, but do we run the risk of building loads of houses, for no one to afford as all the skilled workers and professionals have buggered of to a land that is free? The Government keeps looking, desperate to raise levies and tax on anything that they can.

Remember: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others!

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
While on the road this week in my truck i noticed that the Customs and Excise men were out checking for vehicles using "red diesel" since the recent price hikes in fuel costs
as if anybody would stoop so low :RollEyes:

I would never be tempted to do. I once work for a transport company that had trace elements put in both it's red diesel and normal diesel so it could easily prove that it fuel was stolen from their company tanks. Aparently some drivers borrowed the occaisional five gallon to get them home, then some got greedy.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
It will be interesting to see how the Customs officials deal with traces of red found in tanks of vehicles which were previously entitled to use red. From experience for the last 12 months Vintage Tractors have not been allowed to use Red, but even filling with white, the red dye can still be seen, it seems to stick well to all surfaces. I now carry receipts endorsed by my local garage that I have put white in my tractor.

D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
It will be interesting to see how the Customs officials deal with traces of red found in tanks of vehicles which were previously entitled to use red. From experience for the last 12 months Vintage Tractors have not been allowed to use Red, but even filling with white, the red dye can still be seen, it seems to stick well to all surfaces. I now carry receipts endorsed by my local garage that I have put white in my tractor.

D

The trace elements I speak of were not colourants. They were added to normal white diesel. Interesting you say that Vintage tractors can no longer use red.
Is this the same for all tractors, or just tractors no longer used on a working farm. ?

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
The trace elements I speak of were not colourants. They were added to normal white diesel. Interesting you say that Vintage tractors can no longer use red.
Is this the same for all tractors, or just tractors no longer used on a working farm. ?

Zozzer,

Currently working farm tractors can still use Red, but if they are used on a Charity Road Run, Carnival or Ploughing Match they should be on white. If I take a Vintage Tractor to turn hay in a field for Agricultural use I can use Red.
If I want to mix my own Tractor Vaporising Oil for the older Petrol / TVO Tractors I now need a licence from Customs to allow me to put Central Heating Oil ( Kerosene ) in the mix.

The law is an Ass as usual.:Eeek::Eeek:

D

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
red diesel

This link, Link Removed , will tell you all you need to know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Spare a thought for the poor boat owners! Diesel on a marina costs only about 0.39 per litre at the moment. The EU has forced the UK government into banning the sale of red diesel for marine use.

With petrol on sale at about £1.30 a litre, it is anyones guess what "Normal diesel will end up costing on a marina.

No fun when you think that a medium sized boat can hold 1000 litres!

Tell me about it. My boats tank holds 350 Ltrs and uses 7Gals an hour flat out. That's pretty economical for a Diesel boat as well. Not so long ago it was 22p a Ltr, now it's 50p. It's now up for sale. Can't afford to do everything. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back