Red Blue Yellow crimps BEWARE (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think you will find that accredited crimping tools used in the ESI do not have multi jaws (red, blue and yellow) within the same head. In the ESI you would have three separate crimping tools. Crap crimps and multi headed tools make for bad connections end of.
I'm sure you are right but in my life I have never seen this applied to insulated crimps and never seen an individual tool or head for each colour

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I thought it said "red blue yellow chimps beware":D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
New bag different seller quoting BS numbers same price
Rock solid I fail to separate them.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i prefer the non insulated connectors and with the right crimp tools you can make it all look like a proper factory loom . not like bodged up back yard job .
is there a vehicle manufacturer that uses then coloured connectors coz i havent seen one yet.
Totally agree. Plenty of the correct sort here:

Broken Link Removed

................ and on eBay.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Totally agree. Plenty of the correct sort here:

Broken Link Removed

................ and on eBay.
yes , have used them but when i had my garage we normally bought them off lucas . used the lucar plugs etc on the looms . or the german company worth. liked their bits and pieces sometimes they were the only ones had the right bits .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We get through a number of crimp tools a year, just wear them out or the jaws crack.

The oldest (CTT) ones are still working fine, the newer, cheaper ones are not nearly as good. We use a lot of bootlace ferrules as well, we buy them in 10,000 at a time as they are just used for all small wiring going into terminal blocks with screw clamps.

For larger conductors we use an hydraulic crimping tool with separate jaws giving an all-round hexagonal crimp, that has done a lot of work and it still good, it covers 16mm to 125mm cable, we use it a lot of the bigger stuff which gets wired up with 50mm cable.

We have a selection of uninsulated crimps which we nearly always solder.

I don't see that many 'nasties' as we buy commercially, usually JST (Japan Solderless Terminal Co) or other branded product, but I agree with Andy on the quality of some of the cheaper stuff being sold.

Peter

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
On a slightly different subject where do you guys/gals buy your battery terminals and cables, from? is there a good online store? I'm thinking of buying a Hydraulic crimping tool and battery cable lugs, and making them myself.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I use this seller for quality 35mm welding cable . I see no benefit in price in using anything smaller.
Broken Link Removed
I also buy 35mm lugs on ebay and I have a hydraulic crimping tool with a full set of dies for a very modest price.
When the die faces meet the crimp is complete as with many crimpers calibration is complete tosh.
With welding cable being so very many fine strands you will find that to achieve a secure crimp you will need to use 25mm dies on 35mm lugs as it compresses so much more than regular electrical mains distribution cable.

Edit
Unless you're working for the MOD or building a nuclear power station this will be more than sufficient for you, lets keep it real
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's not a tool issue
Any ratchet crimp tool is good enough for these small terms
Personally I use this which is as good as anything made at any price (y)
View attachment 71600 View attachment 71601

Now you have gone and done it. I am now not happy with my multi-crimp tool anymore... Off shopping.

Depending on the job I rarely solder my crimps. The only place I will solder is if there is no vibration after installation but then you don't actually need it. I am concerned that in a situation where the cable may vibrate and the solder has run up the cable it may fracture. You are basically turning a multi-core into a solid core. The cantilever effect on the end of cables can also be magnified by this. You also run the risk with new lead free solders of overheating the insulation and causing structural or electrical weakness. The old lead solder was great but the new stuff can be problematic even for old hands. If I am installing outdoor or where moisture or other contaminants are likely to be an issue such as in a boiler cupboard I use self amalgamating tape over a crimp. This is just my opinion and I am sure everyone has their own. Providing you are happy with the results that's the main thing.

If I am soldering two cables together I will use the the technique I learnt on my apprenticeship which was a variety of joins and splices. I will then solder and heat shrink. However I think the last time I did that was over 15 years ago now...

Just got a nice big crimping tool off ebay to do my 35mm cables for the new batteries. Did a really nice job and I could swing off the cables after....

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use this seller for quality 35mm welding cable . I see no benefit in price in using anything smaller.
Broken Link Removed
I also buy 35mm lugs on ebay and I have a hydraulic crimping tool with a full set of dies for a very modest price.
When the die faces meet the crimp is complete as with many crimpers calibration is complete tosh.
With welding cable being so very many fine strands you will find that to achieve a secure crimp you will need to use 25mm dies on 35mm lugs as it compresses so much more than regular electrical mains distribution cable.

Edit
Unless you're working for the MOD or building a nuclear power station this will be more than sufficient for you, lets keep it real
Broken Link Removed
Thanks for that. What you using to cut this 35mm welding cable? looks a good price too.
Just been searching for them 35mm lugs they are not cheap, or am i looking in the wrong place? ebay that is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I use cable shears
Lugs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5X-35mm-x...-Eye-192920-/181385731887?hash=item2a3b6e9f2f

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Because we use crimping lugs in fair numbers, we buy bags of 100 of sizes from 6mm up to 50mm, and have a few up to 120mm.

Cable we buy a drum at a time, 100 metres of orange welding in 35mm or 50mm.

Cheaper for the quantities we need, but we often have offcuts we can help out with.

It's amazing how little the hydraulic crimpers are now, albeit probably not for full-time commercial use. Our kit was £470 over 10 years ago, never failed us yet and does a lot of hard work. We also have a hand ratchet crimper that takes the same die set as a backup.

Peter

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
for lugs many of mine i get from durite . never had a problem with them.
DO they durite, have a website? maybe google might help,just me being lazy lol

I think you might need to give me a link, not sure whats going on Durite says they dont supply direct to retail users.

Last edited:

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks, Andy, just out of hospital after a heart operation. All OK, just recuperating from the operation. Put a bit of a crimp in our work on the Mercedes this summer though.

Peter
All the best with your recuperating peter.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Durite usually supply through retailers, they don't have their own retail outlets.

Electrical wholesalers like Endmondson Electrical, Newey & Eyre and others will sell insulated and copper tube crimps and tooling over their trade counters.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
On a slightly different subject where do you guys/gals buy your battery terminals and cables, from? is there a good online store? I'm thinking of buying a Hydraulic crimping tool and battery cable lugs, and making them myself.

For a one-off job it's probably not worth buying the tooling.

If you know what you need in cabling and lugs, let me know and I'll see if we have some offcuts we can use up.

Peter

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Peter, Both them Electrical wholesalers are close by me I'll give them a look. Thanks for the offer, but i'm unsure at the moment how much i will need, I can however lay my hands on a crimper, so the tooling wont be a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back