Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I just read a reply from one funster to another about motorway lanes and which one to use...

So for once a serious bit of info and to all those who know it already im sorry, there are loads of people who Dont know and perhaps this may help as we get something lodged in our brain and we think we are right till that day at court.

So traffic lights, when to stop when to go.

Simple really when you know.
Green is go, Amber is Stop.

If you do not stop at amber the law allows only one excuse, to avoid an accident.

The red light is the moment when you commit an absolute offence if you cross it. The law allows no excuse whatsoever for crossing a red light and you are lawfully required to cause an accident rather than cross through a red light.

If you are a hero and you do cause an accident NOT to happen...how will you prove it...you cant and your licence will be endorsed.

To be picky the only time you can cross a red light is if the traffic lights are not lawfull.

The motorway lane one is easy too the neaside or left lane of the three is for 70 mph and this is the only lane you can use ...unless...you are overtaking a slower vehicle, if the middle lane has slower vehicles too then you can move to the outside or right hand side lane.
In any event when the vehilce has been overtaken then you are rquired to safely move back to the left or nearside lane asap.

UNLESS...lol...you are on a designated section of motorway that is lane controled such as on the m25 near the m4 junction, and in that case you pick a lane and MUST stick to it unless overtaking. It is quite lawful to drive a slow moving vehicle in the outside or right lane. It just doesnt FEEL right doing that so we all adopt the left or nearside lane.

Ok that was for info only and not a shuv down ya throat thing....I hope it helps if ya were eva confused about that especially the traffic light.... scary really that you can get endorsments for jumping an amber light without a lawful excuse....if a Mr Plod observes you accelorating to make the amber light before it goes red when you could have safely braked, its 3 points and a fine.
and also would clear the national debt.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
near, but not 100%

I just read a reply from one funster to another about motorway lanes and which one to use...

So for once a serious bit of info and to all those who know it already im sorry, there are loads of people who Dont know and perhaps this may help as we get something lodged in our brain and we think we are right till that day at court.

So traffic lights, when to stop when to go.

Simple really when you know.
Green is go, Amber is Stop.

If you do not stop at amber the law allows only one excuse, to avoid an accident.

The red light is the moment when you commit an absolute offence if you cross it. The law allows no excuse whatsoever for crossing a red light and you are lawfully required to cause an accident rather than cross through a red light.

If you are a hero and you do cause an accident NOT to happen...how will you prove it...you cant and your licence will be endorsed.

To be picky the only time you can cross a red light is if the traffic lights are not lawfull.

The motorway lane one is easy too the neaside or left lane of the three is for 70 mph and this is the only lane you can use ...unless...you are overtaking a slower vehicle, if the middle lane has slower vehicles too then you can move to the outside or right hand side lane.
In any event when the vehilce has been overtaken then you are rquired to safely move back to the left or nearside lane asap.

UNLESS...lol...you are on a designated section of motorway that is lane controled such as on the m25 near the m4 junction, and in that case you pick a lane and MUST stick to it unless overtaking. It is quite lawful to drive a slow moving vehicle in the outside or right lane. It just doesnt FEEL right doing that so we all adopt the left or nearside lane.

Ok that was for info only and not a shuv down ya throat thing....I hope it helps if ya were eva confused about that especially the traffic light.... scary really that you can get endorsments for jumping an amber light without a lawful excuse....if a Mr Plod observes you accelorating to make the amber light before it goes red when you could have safely braked, its 3 points and a fine.
and also would clear the national debt.

You are near Harry but not 100%... have not got the time to dig out Wilkinson Road Traffic Offences this morning.. but from memory you are not 100% on the ATL's

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 ... the 2002 regulation exempts fire ambulance and bomb or explosive disposal, natonal blood service or police purposes.... for those that have Wilkinson's... 1/468 section 6.26 0n driver offences signs an signals Book one - text provides all the details

Bob

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
If the amber light is illuminated, a vehicle must stop, unless it has already passed the white stop line or the vehicle is so close to the stop line, that coming to a halt might cause an accident. If the red light is showing, then you must stop behind the stop line in all circumstances.

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/traffic_lights.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
There is a defence

If the amber light is illuminated, a vehicle must stop, unless it has already passed the white stop line or the vehicle is so close to the stop line, that coming to a halt might cause an accident. If the red light is showing, then you must stop behind the stop line in all circumstances.

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/traffic_lights.htm

From memory there is a defence if your car is pushed over the line by another car.

Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Seems amazing that they have changed the Highway Code so much since I learned to drive. Well I'm assuming they have, as hardly anything it said I had to do, is now observed by drivers, generally!

And I still have flashbacks to the time I was coming home from work and a woman (had to be a woman didn't it? - disgusts me) pulled off the hard shoulder in front of me on the M6 from a standing start - no attempt whatsoever to accelerate on the shoulder first, didn't look, just stuck her indicator on and pulled straight out. I was in the inside lane and the middle and outside lane were already occupied by vehicles going faster - I just had nowhere to go! - but fortunately everyone else saw her too and made me a gap ......

I worked in Newcastle-u-Lyme and lived in Kidderminster. For about a month after that, I travelled everywhere cross country and wouldn't go on the motorway at all !

OP
OP
harryoxford2

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
You are near Harry but not 100%... have not got the time to dig out Wilkinson Road Traffic Offences this morning.. but from memory you are not 100% on the ATL's

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 ... the 2002 regulation exempts fire ambulance and bomb or explosive disposal, natonal blood service or police purposes.... for those that have Wilkinson's... 1/468 section 6.26 0n driver offences signs an signals Book one - text provides all the details

Bob

I was gonna go into the exceptions but thought..hmm this is gonna get complicated....
interestingly if the emergency services go through a red light and cause an accident they are still open to prosecution for other offences like due care and higher offences.

I love the law.....you just think you have got a handle on it and then is a whole new section on buts ifs and exceptions and exemptions.

I remember a programme on a greek guy with tv in his car he was boasting he never stops at lights and had suffered the consequences at court on a couple of occasions.
His wife and family and especially daughter were disraught at his view of traffic lights and ignoring them,
he was showing off with the tv crew in the car going through anything and everything and took a left at red and promptly crashed into a pushchair with baby in it,
he jumped out to be confronted by the mother pedestrian...it was his daughter and he had just run over his grandson whom he adored.

It was brilliantly stage managed and a brave stunt woman dressed in identical clothing to his daughter and pushing an identical pram with a baby dummy had walked out in front of the guy. His daughter ran forward from the background and the stunt double disappeared into the crowd unnoticed by the guy.
He was unconsolable...he broke down in shock and even when his daughter presented his unharmed grandson at the scene and confessed it was a set up to show him how dangerous his practces were it still took the guy forever to register what was being said......

he stopped going through red traffic lights.....

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
A month after my seventeenth birthday I took my test .... so about four years ago (!) and one of the questions he asked was "What can you do when the light is on amber that you can't do when it is on red and amber?"

The answer (but I suppose you legal eagles will say he is wrong :Smile:) was 'obey the following signal.' It was deliberately asked to confuse but my instructor had warned me about this b*****d asking it if you hadn't lost any points so far.... I passed by the way.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Copper pulled me over and said what were those things at that last junction you crossed?
I replied "You mean the traffic lights", "Yes" says the copper "What comes after amber?" I say "Don't know, normally f%&ked off by then"....

Sorry I know this is a serious subject, but couldn't resist.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back