Recycling laser printer toner cartridges (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Does anyone do this? More precisely...is it possible with cheap non-OEM toner cartidges?

I used to buy OEM toners for my trusty old HP LaserJet, but the prices started to get silly. However you were able to send back your old cartridge for free and HP would process it.

The last cartidge I tried was a cheap one from Amazon at about a third of the price. It's finally run out and worked just as well as the HP one but where can I recycle it? I've checked the recycling envelopes that I've picked up from places like the WWT and they seem to only want OEM or unused ones (who's going to return one of those unless the printer itself has broken?).

Has anyone found a company that takes these things?

Do I just have to bin it? :Sad:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I built up a collection of about 30 of these, mostly HP, for 2 different machines and sold them on ebay for quite good money. One or two were unused but out of date for a printer that had given up the ghost but the job lot went and the bidding was brisk on the last day. Obviously went for re-filling. :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't use anywhere near as many cartridges (toner or ink) as when we had the business so it's a long time since I recycled any but I think some charities take them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not and answer to the recycling but.....

When i had my business we had a colour laser that we used a lot...
I used to self re-fill them regular.
You can buy kits that have like a soldering iron with a ring to cut a hole in the cartridge, bottles of the toner and a rubber bung to re-seal the hole...

Saved my a fortune :thumb: ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Not and answer to the recycling but.....

When i had my business we had a colour laser that we used a lot...
I used to self re-fill them regular.
You can buy kits that have like a soldering iron with a ring to cut a hole in the cartridge, bottles of the toner and a rubber bung to re-seal the hole...

Saved my a fortune :thumb: ::bigsmile:

Yes...I took a look at re-filling the cartridges. I kept reading about how you need to be careful and not spill the toner because it's a nightmare to clean and dangerous to your health.

Not a problem for most people I suspect, but I'm a bit of a DIY disaster area and I can just picture the scene :Doh:

I don't use anywhere near as many cartridges (toner or ink) as when we had the business so it's a long time since I recycled any but I think some charities take them.

No, I don't use many inkjet/laser jet cartridges/toners and it's been a while for the laser. It seems like there are less recycling options now, but I'll keep looking and maybe try eBay like Rolfarris suggested.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back