Recovery of older motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm trying to get some idea of costs and it has occurred to me that I need to look into whether it's possible to get European cover for older motorhomes, as that's what I'm going to be looking at. There must be a way of doing this, as there are a lot of older motorhomes about. I'm with the RAC in this country.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We have a 1991 Dethleffs Globetrotter and use ADAC (Partnerplus), about 97 euros a year. (Includes medical personal recovery to wherever home is plus many other benefits). No age limits. Up to 7.5 tonnes... Covers whole of Europe including all countries with a mediterranean coast too ... Can't fault it. :thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I changed to ADAC due to LIES told by other organisations,.......especially the sneaky ones that have a rider in their small print that says "the cost of any recovery will not exceed the value of the vehicle", It would cost in excess of £1000 to repatriate a MH from Paris to Brum, think of places you want to, and would possibly go, calculate the approx recovery, then look at the BOOK PRICE of your MH...........then chose ADAC. Some organisations also have differing views on what europe is, and partition in according to who is, and isnt in the EU, be carfefull out there.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks for that.

It's always useful to hear from people who have been there and done that. I took a chance a few years back when I took my Land Rover 110 to France for a fortnight, but wouldn't want to stay longer or travel farther without recovery insurance.

Do you happen to know how they feel about recovery from the Arctic Circle?:Smile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Vehicle recovery from wherever to wherever in Europe -

Personal recovery due to accident/illness, anywhere in world.

So Arctic Circle ....... :RollEyes:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks again.

I've already saved my £10 subscription from reading your posts and ticked off one more item on my checklist. Now I need to look round and hope my bosses don't decide I can't retire after all...

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
It's always useful to hear from people who have been there and done that. I took a chance a few years back when I took my Land Rover 110 to France for a fortnight, but wouldn't want to stay longer or travel farther without recovery insurance.

Do you happen to know how they feel about recovery from the Arctic Circle?:Smile:

The general rule with landies, if you find yourself broken down where they wont recover from,.....get a mate to tow it to where they will.......AHEM,..but i dod,nt say that of course:Blush:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I was sort of working on that theory in France...

I know someone with a 101 camper who once towed a 110 across the border into the next country when the owner drove it off a dune.:Smile:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Funny thing is (and i am still a landy enthusiast) for all the "expedition" cars, roof tents, big wheels, sump guard s etc.......landy owners travel MUCH MUCH less than motorhome owners. If you went on a landy forum now,there would probably be one or two people abroad...........on HERE however, the beggars never stay still:roflmto:, i count myself very lucky to have a foot in both camps.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. think you may find there is a different market now .full size expedition trucks . get loads down in maroc these days .gambia is a winter destination for many. . i,m normally in maroc or spain in my artic , my neighbour runs a MAN , friends in daf 45,s mercs . and the one thats here now. plus several from germany and holland . never mind all the others . you might very often get 20-30 trucks all get together for a party. some of us have been meeting up for years. mind there are quite a few landies ex ambulances as well and toyota landcriusers . i do like the tour factory land cruisers from germany.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have ADAC as well

While my RV is only 6 years old and most stop European breakdown core when the vehicle is 11 years old it does not overly effect me.. I have Safeguard that has the most comprehensive cover for my weight etc., But I also have as an extra ADAC that gives a lot more on top of the normal recovery.

recommend it.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back