Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We went away for Dec and Jan.I knew that the batteries would go flat in that time,so before we left I disconnected the earths on both the engine and leisure batteries. The van is SORN at the moment but we are going to start using it from the beginning of March.What I would like to know is that once the batteries are both reconnected and hooked-up will both batteries charge up.
Oops forgot to say its a Bailey Autograph 765.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Should do via the split charge circuit but may take quite a few miles doing so.
If possible it would be worthwhile putting both on charge for a day to top both up first as there will have been a little natural discharge even disconnected..

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Quote. What I would like to know is that once the batteries are both reconnected and hooked-up will both batteries charge up.

Hooked up , I guess you will be connected via the hookup lead that should fully charge all you batteries in 24-48 hours

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Quote. What I would like to know is that once the batteries are both reconnected and hooked-up will both batteries charge up.

Hooked up , I guess you will be connected via the hookup lead that should fully charge all you batteries in 24-48 hours
Just reread that bit about hook up.
If it's on hook up why disconnect the batteries at all.
Just leave the charger running, if its a relatively modern van it should have a smart charger capable of maintenance.
As for charging both batteries, that depends on what control panel is fitted.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
If your batteries were well charged before you disconnected them you should be very worried if they aren't in almost the same condition when you re-connect. I was pleasantly surprised recently when I re-connected my battery (which I thought was pretty naff) after being disconnected for 4 months and to my surprise it fired up immediately as if it was freshly charged. That is a battery that I wouldn't trust leaving it connected for much longer than 1 week!

So you should be OK

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
One of the most useful modifications to our van was the fitting of an isolator switch to the leisure battery. They are cheap and well within the capability of any owner who can rewire a plug to fit. It saves a lot of messing about to "get at" the battery and stops the slow discharge when the van is parked for long periods. When we reconnect the leisure battery into the system it has virtually the same charge in it as when it was disconnected.

The Tincas

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
One of the most useful modifications to our van was the fitting of an isolator switch to the leisure battery.
Agree, excellent piece of kit. I fitted one to my Mothers car that she has at her villa in Portugal, it gets left for long periods of time, and she lacks the ability to use a spanner. :D
The battery is never flat when she arrives back at it.

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Thanks for the replies,the reason I asked was that the handbook that came with the van didn't mention whether the engine battery would charge when connected to the mains hook-up.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
I have the ability, via my tracker, to monitor my engine battery. Currently in storage its indicating 12.97v as against 14.30v when being driven. What value should I need to visit the MH to give the engine a run to keep the battery in a healthy condition?

Thanks Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back