LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would not recommend that someone joins a club and then goes on to pay a pound into the over inflated pocket of a national charity boss...
So you never pay into any charities then? For me charity begins at home. I pay cancer and fogs trust monthly....All I'm saying is ..If we can recruit mote members here then each member is worth £14 more to Jim than nothing so why not £1 to charity for the effort in recruiting the member

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
So you never pay into any charities then? For me charity begins at home. I pay cancer and fogs trust monthly....All I'm saying is ..If we can recruit mote members here then each member is worth £14 more to Jim than nothing so why not £1 to charity for the effort in recruiting the member

Sorry (and I mean that).............. I've never understood why Cancer Research should be a charity.......... either it should be Government funded or funded by one of the very wealthy pharmaceutical companies........... who might (or might not) find a cure............ when it pays them to...... how cynical can I be ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry (and I mean that).............. I've never understood why Cancer Research should be a charity.......... either it should be Government funded or funded by one of the very wealthy pharmaceutical companies........... who might (or might not) find a cure............ when it pays them to...... how cynical can I be ?
I sorta agree but whichever charity...I'm a keen fundraiser...I will go knocking on200 or 400 or so MHS at an event..If I know there's a podsibiliyy of something in it for a charity and not just a business...I know I'm not asked but would you go recruiting for free? I'm aiming at a win win here..

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
:LOL:Lol Gerry you are probably right!!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I sorta agree but whichever charity...I'm a keen fundraiser...I will go knocking on200 or 400 or so MHS at an event..If I know there's a podsibiliyy of something in it for a charity and not just a business...I know I'm not asked but would you go recruiting for free? I'm aiming at a win win here..

.........nobody's ever knocked on my van door...........:whistle:..........:crying::crying:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Jim will have a marketing budget. The £1's will effectively be coming out of that budget which may mean cutting costs in other areas of marketing. Only Jim can decide whether this idea fits his needs. I am sure he has seen this thread and if he thinks it is a good idea and will benefit his business he will take it up, if not he won't.

A suggestion has been made and now it should be left to Jim. It doesn't really matter how many members are for or against it. It is not our business or our money.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
How many posts are there on the forum where a member has said they joined because of ...............??
Who joined because of you Vlad?
I don't know Andy ,who joined because of you ?
what can I say ,I joined this forum after stumbling across it on an internet search and in all the time I've been here I've met good people and had good advice both on line and off including from yourself .
I've recommended this forum to a good few people I've met on my travels and know of a fair few who ha e signed up .
Now I know some Funsters like to big it up and feel like they're a bit special but I'm not one of them .Id like to think that people that joined through my recommendation joined to ask for advice from a friendly knowledgeable bunch. I've never had an ego so wouldn't like to say that so and so joined because of me.however I'm sure there are those out there with there little black books telling them that will listen that they've brought X amount of people to the forum.,

If I recommend this forum to another, and they join there could be a way to clarify this and a charity could benefit .
Seems to me that the old guard are closing ranks ,how dare you suggesting such a thing Sandra .

Vlad

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
[QUOTE="Encantador, It doesn't really matter how many members are for or against it. It is not our business or our money.[/QUOTE]
Very true and maybe so but maybe you think like that cos you don't make the effort in recruiting newbies???? It's not our business but it could be a better incentive of recruiting newbies if something went to A charity..A bird in the bush and all that....

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't know Andy ,who joined because of you ?
I've already said earlier. So again how would it be managed. I don't know of a single post on the whole forum where someone said they joined because of memberX? so that will raise a whole pile of nothing

I'm sure plenty of people have come to FUN on my recommendation BUT I don't ever recall anyone actually saying they joined because of me. So how would this be managed? As I said Jim already gives to charity so why complicate things

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I've already said earlier. So again how would it be managed. I don't know of a single post on the whole forum where someone said they joined because of memberX? so that will raise a whole pile of nothing
You must have selective reading then :LOL: I wouldn't care which charity it went to so long as it went to one.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You must have selective reading then :LOL: I wouldn't care which charity it went to so long as it went to one.
But theres no evidence of any personal recruitment so which charity would you give the grand total of nothing to?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
But theres no evidence of any personal recruitment so which charity would you give the grand total of nothing to?
How can you say it's a grand total of nothing! Is that cos you don't make any conscious effort in recruiting newbies!. I'm not getting into any personal arguments here. Jim is a great leader yes but like any other business feeback be it good or bad is invaluable and I for one xan say what I think!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Maybe the £1 could be held over until 1/1 for example and then members vote for one of two specified charities and that one gets the dosh.....or just one charity is supported for an entire year which changes the following year. Just thinking out loud here. However, it's Jims money we are spending here.....might be wiser to let him spend his own in the way he sees fit!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
How can you say it's a grand total of nothing! Is that cos you don't make any conscious effort in recruiting newbies!. I'm not getting into any personal arguments here. Jim is a great leader yes but like any other business feeback be it good or bad is invaluable and I for one xan say what I think!
Of course I make an effort but how can I prove it? how can you prove that people joined because of you? I raised over £200 at Chester by bothering no one and everyone got goods for their money.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sandra i think its a good idea, my opinion doesn't matter though its Jim that has to like it. I understand what you mean about recruiting people either by word of mouth or a flyer on their windscreen, that kind of exposure i'm sure would cost Jim a fortune. How would it be managed well im no computer expert but how about when someone joins they have a tick box with several answers to the question Where did you hear about fun, if the tick box from a current member Jim could donate a £ to a chosen charity by the fun members.

@Techno As for seeing people say they have joined because so and so told them I have seen loads but please dont ask me to prove it as I have a life and wont go searching through old threads to prove a point.

As I said it doesn't really matter what i think its what Jim thinks that matters and I certainly wouldn't fall out with him if he said no to the idea.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I raised over £200 at Chester by bothering no one and everyone got goods for their money.
But did that equate to new members?Your going off the topic!

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
[QUOTE="Encantador, It doesn't really matter how many members are for or against it. It is not our business or our money.
Very true and maybe so but maybe you think like that cos you don't make the effort in recruiting newbies????

And you know this how exactly?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sandra i think its a good idea, my opinion doesn't matter though its Jim that has to like it. I understand what you mean about recruiting people either by word of mouth or a flyer on their windscreen, that kind of exposure i'm sure would cost Jim a fortune. How would it be managed well im no computer expert but how about when someone joins they have a tick box with several answers to the question Where did you hear about fun, if the tick box from a current member Jim could donate a £ to a chosen charity by the fun members.

@Techno As for seeing people say they have joined because so and so told them I have seen loads but please dont ask me to prove it as I have a life and wont go searching through old threads to prove a point.

As I said it doesn't really matter what i think its what Jim thinks that matters and I certainly wouldn't fall out with him if he said no to the idea.
And you think they will join the dark side because of me so no £s :(

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
It's not if it's newbies he might not have had:-(

But it is. If you recommend a restaurant to someone and they go and eat there, are you saying that part of any money paid for their meal should go to charity, because they are new customers that might not have eaten there?

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

At last the light bulb moment ! Jim could link recruitment by members .
It can't be too hard to put something into place so the grand total of something could go to charity,and as you've implied the people you and others have drawn to the forum could have benefited others.
Try to focus on the positives .

Vlad

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
When we talk about Fun & how great the members, forum & rallies are other motorhomers always think that we must be on commission! The fact that we don't benefit makes our claims more convincing :)
Can also see that if a charity benefits from members actively promoting Fun resulting in more new members joining then that seems like a win all round.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And you know this how exactly?
I don't. ..Don't you see the ????
But it is. If you recommend a restaurant to someone and they go and eat there, are you saying that part of any money paid for their meal should go to charity, because they are new customers that might not have eaten there?
If you take the effort than going to personally place a sticker or whatever in their windscreen then yes but hey I can't see you walking very far :LOL:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
So when we all pay our subs we are forsed to pay a £ to some charity we may not want too....?

Or would it be a tax on newbies...? Or Jim...?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So when we all pay our subs we are forsed to pay a £ to some charity we may not want too....?

Or would it be a tax on newbies...? Or Jim...?
I think you have missed the point of the thread ...it's about recruiting NEW subscribers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back