Recommendations for places between Florence and Sticky.? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry can't see how to change that title haha.
We are taking our time travelling through Italy with no agenda thinking to spend a month or two in Sicily (hopefully for good weather )
We are in Montagnano in Montespertoli now . (A lovely free spot high up in a valley overlooking vineyards )
Open to suggestions on where next.
We'd love to see Pompeii.
- not too bothered about Rome right now. (Florence was heaving over the new year's holiday and has put us briefly off ciities)
Any ideas much appreciated.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It'd be a shame to miss Rome - plenty to see there, but it's your choice. Camping Village Flaminio plus local train services worked well for us. If you go, be sure to see the Pantheon as well as the Colosseum.

Siena's not far from your current location - I thought it was a bit overrated myself but it's worth a look at least, especially the main piazza and the basilica. San Gimignano is picturesque - there's a dedicated MH camping spot just down the hill from there, assuming it's still open. For Pompeii and Herculaneum I'd recommend stopping at Sorrento and commuting by train. Also worth exploring the Amalfi coast by bus and ferry, along with the island of Capri. I wouldn't suggest driving the Amalfi Coast road in a MH - very winding plus hardly any parking. There's a campsite in Sorrento called Nube d'Argento which does the job for a stopover.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Pompeii is in a built up suburb of Naples, whilst Sorrento is a convenient base for other attractions (including Pompeii) and is a generally more pleasant place to stay. But, of course, each to their own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Siena was our favourite place when we toured Italy in the spring. It may have been because of the bank of escalators that take you effortlessly up to the main town from the station, or the fact that it was a sunny warm spring day and we spent most of it sitting, people watching, drinking and eating in a cafe on the Piazza del Campo. There is a large car park 5 minutes walk from the station that you can park and overnight on - mind you it is not cheap at 20 Euros, but we managed it for nothing because there was nobody there to take out money!

We too were overwhelmed by Florence. Not just the crowds, but the whole place was just too much for us to take in. However, I would recommend you go to Rome. There is a Sosta (Italian Aire) on the old Via Apia Antica which is quiet and yet very close to the city. Look for the Saliola Ford sign for a garage and drive in there. A regular bus stops outside and it is 15 minutes to the Colisseum. We spent 3 nights there and 2 full days in Rome and the Vatican.

You must also go to the Naples bay area. We stayed at the Nube D'Argento site in Sorrento. Very nice but not easy to access, especially with a large motorhome. Ours is a 7.5m long A class and we sweated a bit. The last 5 miles of roads into and through Sorrento are narrow and used largely by maniacs driving tourist coaches and scooters! And getting into and out of the site itself is steep and winding. The smell of burning clutch getting out was strong! We stayed a week there plucking up the courage to leave! Having said that it was a good base to see the Amalfi coast (take a bus or boat for that) as well as Pompei and Naples using the train, and, of course, Capri.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just outside Florence.. Look for the signs to the football stadium ;-)

As for Sticky. She has retired but I believe her daughter has taken over the act now !

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Wasn't sure about Sticky but next to Florence is Zebedee and Dougal
images (26).jpg

Deleted User
We visited Florence, Rome and Siena and whilst all are worth seeing the only one that I would return to would be Siena. Camping Colleverde is on a bus route into the centre but not cheap, we didn't find any reasonable sites that where cheap.

There is a free aire part way up the road to the Monastery of Monte Cassino if you are into WW2 history it is well worth a visit to the Polish war cemetery,memorial and museum, unfortunately because of heavy rain and time we did not get to visit the Commonwealth War Grave. The parking at the top next to the Monastery is not free, possibly €15 with no facilities.

IMG_2060.JPG

Free aire at Bagno Vignone, search on here will provide some info as others have been there.

Decent aire at Bracciano near to the lake, the town is worth a visit but the highlight for me was the aircraft museum on the lake, easy cycle ride, of the Italian Airforce at Vigna di Valle lots of seaplanes and a holder of the seaplane world speed record still holding from the 1930's with a monstrous V24 engine

IMG_2099 (1408 x 1056).jpg IMG_2100 (1408 x 1056).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_M.C.72

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Air_Force_Museum

We also spent a night on the car park outside the Etruscan Necropolis at Cerveteri, a huge place only partially excavated but if you like history well worth a visit.

Never got to see the ruins at Pompei, totally unimpressed with the surroundings and the site we stayed on, Camping Fortuna, the weather was bad and we left the next day after a quick visit and lunch in Sorento, won't be going back to either of those places either.

Some of the other sites near the ruins at Pompei are apparently OK, the one we stayed on was awful, 2 units on each pitch, shower that I could hardly fit into, empty pitches used as car parking for the ruins definitely not recommended.

Edit: just looked at your profile so some of that may not be of interest:) but may be interesting to some........or am i gender profiling?:D

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks that is brilliant advice. We love historical tourist sights but can't go in to museums as our dog can't be left as he How's!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I should have added that there's a free MH tolerant car park in Siena where you can stay overnight if you wish, near a stop for local buses to the old centre. Bus tickets have to be bought in advance at the Tabacchi.

Another spot worth mentioning is the walled hilltop village of Monteriggioni, near Siena, which might fill half a day. You can stop overnight in their parking area, which is more pleasant than the one I mentioned above, although it's more isolated.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I should have added that there's a free MH tolerant car park in Siena where you can stay overnight if you wish, near a stop for local buses to the old centre. Bus tickets have to be bought in advance at the Tabacchi.
We tried to get in that one, but on a weekday in April it was already full when we got there at about 11am. Mainly with cars. It was also very tight to drive around.

On the other hand this car park was nearly empty with plenty of room. Then a 5 minute walk to the station and use the escalators which start in the shopping centre opposite the station to get up to the old town without any effort. You could overnight in it but it was quite expensive. We did stay the night but did not pay anything because nobody was about to collect the money.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
We stayed at Casciane in murlo
Fab site but very hard to get out with motorhome on narrow steep streets.
The only bus to Sienna didn't get us there til 4pm so we didn't go. During school term though there is a 1.15 bus which would work better. Loved the site and and the village. Not sure what happened to Sat nav that day as we had to ask a car to lead us to a wider road. I think if you turn left out of the Campsite it would work better.sadly won't be going back there with the moho.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back