Recommendations for Outside Light

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Craig Rogers, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I'm looking for an outside light as part of me would like one, however, the other part of me doesn't like the idea of an outside light switch on the panel that just does nothing but turn a relay on in the distribution board! :Doh:

Although we've got a Fiamma awning, I don't want one that fits to the awning supports as I'd like to use it even when the awning isn't out.

Tempted by an LED one, but will it be bright enough? If anyone has any recommendations, that would be great!

Thanks all! :thumb:

2. jezport

jezport Funster

Modern LED ones are very bright.

3. Craig Rogers

Thanks Jezport,

It's not so much the brightness with LEDs, it's the temperature that can be the issue when lighting up a large area.

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Bright enough !!! Oh yes.. In fact we had the opposite problem after fitting an LED outside light

Was asked to turn it off by neighbouring van as it was too bright !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Craig Rogers

Now that seems like the one for us! :Rofl1:

What one is it?

6. reader

reader Funster

We replaced the bulb in our awning light at the end of last year with an LED into an adapter to fit the light. Its been fine and uses a lot less power than a bulb

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

8. keith

keith Funster

As you will see from my sig. we live on a camp site and one problem that I see time & after time is people leaving the outside light on, even on the short summer nights we get up here in Scotland.

Many vans I'v seen have no indication inside that the light is on - so it gets left on all night draining the battery, if you'r not on EHU.:Doh:

Using LED's it should not be a problem though.

9. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

With outside lights the problem is it attract the mossies, so you are best getting one with a sucker on it and mounting it on your neighbours van side. Attch a piece of invisible fishing twine to it and if the neighbour drives off the sucker will be pulled off and you retain your light.
    The good thing unlike poor ole Jaws is that the neighbour wont complain cos the light is on their van...they will however have a sleepless night working out which switch they need to throw to switch the light off...plus their van will stink of mossy spray not yours...simples

no no its ok...stop ...omg im blushing with all the thank yous I can hear coming my way....

10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Craig
    LED 100% :thumb:.................on our new RAPIDO there are either 4 X 5 amp but more like 10amp Halogen bulbs in the outside strip light....we kept catching the switch as we came in and out of the motorhome Hab door, also we did forget turn it off a few times after we been out with the dog....our batteries was discharging at a rapid rate and our two 110amph batteries was soon going into the red.. when it gets down to 12v we get a red warning on the panel... we would then realise we had left the outside lights on..sometimes we would catch the switch during the day and did know we had put them on...I have took them out and put 4 leds and now not even showing a discharge when switched on, as the solar says it is putting in more than is coming out, even in the dark!!... "Yes" its says charging at 1.6 in the dark with lights on..on the Rapido panel!!:Eeek::Doh:
    do you believe all what is says in the papers!
    Mel

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  11. Heyupluv

To true Keith, I know the problem, our switches are right at the side of the grab handle as you enter the van ,either your hand or as your clothes brush past... you switch the outside light on most times times:Doh:......

Mel

12. Craig Rogers

Cheers all.

The CBE control panel we have has an outside light switch with an indicator to show its on, so shouldn't have an issue with leaving it on overnight.

13. Heyupluv

Craig our control panel has a touch sensitive button and a light to say the lights are on:Doh: but on ours it means any of the lights interior or exterior are on:Doh::Wink: also it was the same on my other last van:Doh:

Hopefully yours is just for the outside only.

Mel

14. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

there you go just a click away
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-C...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2eb8ed8c3f

15. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

park nere a lamp post works for me:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

That's okay but if your dog misses the lamp post it ends up pi**ing on your van.:Rofl1: