Recommendations for on the move quick charging? (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
*sigh* I wish you knowledgable business folk were closer to where I live!

I'm begining to suspect that when the technician at the caravan place I took my MH to, isolated the vehicle battery from my habitation (there was no switch we could see to force the habitation area to use the leisure battery) he's disconnected the charging side to my leisure battery.:Sad:

Which would partly explain why I had to borrow someone's generator at Stratford to get through the weekend! :Blush: and yes I am going to get a solar panel when I've saved up enough money! This junketing around the country is expensive! :winky:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
*sigh* I wish you knowledgable business folk were closer to where I live!

:roflmto: This is why Van Bitz owns a campsite http://www.cornishfarm.com :winky:

Don't let anyone talk you into a solar panel until you get your electrics sorted out. At best it could mask your problems over the Summer months and at bring you up dead stop when the cold part of the Autumn hits!

Cheers

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
EVEN a 100 amp relay is only around £20 quid so it still beats spending £220 on DC to DC charging thing ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Yes, but does that 100 amp relay amplify the voltage to further increase the charging current?
Also, does that relay in conjunction with the alternator, provide a proper charging curve?

The answer is no!

I'll stick with my Sterling A-B charger. It maintains my traction battery beautifully!:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
B2B charger.

When your engine battery is fully charged the alternator all but shuts down, until something draws power (lights etc) which is why normal split charge isn't too brilliant over a short journey time.

In basic terms, a B2B fools the alternator into thinking the engine battery is discharged so it whacks out loadsa amps to charge the leisure battery very fast.

I have seen the adverts about those, just wondering if it fools the alternator into charging more to the leisure battery ,will it over charge the engine one at the same time?

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Our old RVs have a much simpler method for charging all batteries. A switch gives you the chance to use just the engine battery, or all your batteries at once. While its main function is to utilise the leisure batteries to help starting, or isolate them if they are flat, it doubles up as a choice for charging engine battery or all batteries while you are stood or travelling. It also works the same method with a solar panel. so simple. Just replaced our solenoid for £20 from ebay. They have differing titles for different jobs, but the same solenoid. You need to make sure it can handle from 100amp to 300amp surge.

Link Removed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
let's assume that my answer to the original question was based on what the OP was asking.
He would like a quick(er) way to charge his batteries whilst driving as he believes his current charging system inadequate.

Let's rule out the possibility that his batteries are knackered or his charging system is. Although of course on examining the problem this is likely, but let's stick with the original question....

I have given, a tried and tested solution not just by me but by many others. The Sterling set up, whether it be B2B or A2B is the way to go. Not only is it effective, it's more than adequate for most peoples usage.

My system is simple, very simple. So let me share it and then tell you how much Ive used it and tested it.

First-
I have a good 80w solar panel, on a good day and I mean good, I can get approx 5-8amps but more like 1-3 in the uk. So simply put, I am replacing that per hour out of what I use.

I have 3 leisure batteries, not the best but relatively new, and waiting to change them to two quality traction batteries, in total 330amps.

I have a 50amp Sterling Battery to Battery charger, taking power from the alternator and dumping it straight in to the leisure batteries to recharge them. Not only that, but it's fitted correctly using an additonal relay which allows it to monitor the battery bank correctly, shutting off solar panel input and fridge usage whilst travelling.

I have LED bulbs and a NASA battery monitor.

I have a 1800w inverter that powers sockets & microwave when not on hook up using Techno's excellent diagram posted on this forum.

I also have a 1000w top quality Honda Genny (more of that in a moment).

This set up works-
Yes you can use Terry's ideas or the 1000 others that people do. The advantage of mine is it's simple. It involves the correct installation of a B2B or A2B charger, the correct installation of a solar panel and also the correct choice of batteries. Then, if you wish for power, a suitable inverter for your needs.
I am sure Eddievanbitz can install all of these things for you and the answer will be.

You never have to worry again.

I have tested my system probably better than most funsters. I have 2 teenage lads and we ski. in 10 days, I never needed to worry about power, despite short days in the alps, kids using laptops and phone chargers and me having microwave porridge every morning. my van was ran for approx 1 hr every other day in the morning, and towards the end of the holiday, every morning.

Honda Genny? I have never needed to utilise it other than that holiday because the B2B ensures my batteries are FULLY charged when I go for a weekend -5 day beak. Chester food festival, freezing temps, 5 days, no need for additional power supplies.

So you can try as many other alternatives you like, you can try messing with alternators, changing wires or whateverelse you want to do, but you have to accept that that is because you want to play with your van.

If you want the result that works in an instant, use the set up that I, Jon, and many others I know swear by.

Now get your wallet out and book in to Eddies for the fitting.

It works. :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I have seen the adverts about those, just wondering if it fools the alternator into charging more to the leisure battery ,will it over charge the engine one at the same time?

No it wont.

Simple answer.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I agree with you Haggers ALMOST ::bigsmile:
I have never ran out of power yet! but simply have a single 110 amp hr L/B that is charged via hook up and a 7quid (at the time) twin relay with a decent wire connection to the L/B ::bigsmile:IT WORKS FOR US :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Based on the OP's question, I agree with Haggers and others that the Stirling (or CTek) B2B charger must represent the best option. I have often considered one (particularly back in the days when they cost about £100) but so far, our usage style has not required one. Just one word of caution, which I don't think applies to the OP's van, Mr. Sterling himself has noted that the B2B can cause some issues if you have a Schaudt Electrobloc charger / 12V management system, but I believe they can be overcome without difficulty.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Mr. Sterling himself has noted that the B2B can cause some issues if you have a Schaudt Electrobloc charger / 12V management system, but I believe they can be overcome without difficulty.

Actually it was us that first requested that the sales blurb be amended to make the point that if a B2B is fitted alongside a factory fitted ammeter, the ammeter will no longer be accurate. That is the only real issue.

The B2B pumps in 50Ah that is going as the name suggested battery to battery, ergo not through the ammeter. Consequently when that charge is the used inside the motorhome, the discharge IS measured through the ammeter.

As the charge didn't go through the ammeter, the consequent discharge through the ammeter makes the "brain" believe that the batteries are dangerously low and alarms sound!!

Simply fitting a Victron type battery computer (Circa £160) eliminates such problems.

Simple

Eddie

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
sterling is definitely the right name....have you seen what they cost....Ill get up in a minute when I recover a bit.:roflmto:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
sterling is definitely the right name....have you seen what they cost....Ill get up in a minute when I recover a bit.:roflmto:

Paid £88 for mine, new and unused from Ebay, fitted it myself with Jon doing the relay job.

Spose im lucky, but anyone using a professional service wont be disappointed.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
What is involved in fitting a Sterling B2B charger?

Is it a simple DIY job?

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have a fairly convention system where my one 110 Ahr leisure battery is charged via a bog standard split charger relay, the Sargent 240V power management system and a 80W solar panel. I also have a Battery Master to trickle charge the engine battery when the leisure battery if fully charged.

I am not wishing to discuss the merits or demerits of this system - what I would like to know is what modifications are needed to the system if I fit a Sterling B2B charger.

1. Do I need to remove the split charger supply?
2. Do I need to remove the battery master?
3. Anything else?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have a fairly convention system where my one 110 Ahr leisure battery is charged via a bog standard split charger relay, the Sargent 240V power management system and a 80W solar panel. I also have a Battery Master to trickle charge the engine battery when the leisure battery if fully charged.

I am not wishing to discuss the merits or demerits of this system - what I would like to know is what modifications are needed to the system if I fit a Sterling B2B charger.

1. Do I need to remove the split charger supply?
2. Do I need to remove the battery master?
3. Anything else?

No, plug the split charge fuse.
No.
No, just make sure you use the correct gauge cable for the distance intended.

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back