Recommendations for A frame fitters please ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Mine runs from a 7pin. The RVi brake unit operates from the towed car 12v socket and reacts to inertia from towing vehicle slowing which also carries a wireless remote control unit indicating set up, braking level and allows testing while moving.

Larry I saw that set up on one of the links above. Or at least I think I did I may be confused. Is that the one where you have to position a box with a clip that connects to the brake pedal and relies on a radio signal ?

I think I would prefer a hard wired brake set up with no boxes or devices to set up. Not saying there is anything wrong with them but less risk of user error.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Larry I saw that set up on one of the links above. Or at least I think I did I may be confused. Is that the one where you have to position a box with a clip that connects to the brake pedal and relies on a radio signal ?

I think I would prefer a hard wired brake set up with no boxes or devices to set up. Not saying there is anything wrong with them but less risk of user error.

Yes it does clip over the brake pedal but the brake unit is activated by the slowing motion of the car not the wireless link.
The wireless unit in the m home cab lets you know all is well and allows a test while moving.
These units are in common use across the US.
The overrun wired units work fine but can prevent any attempt to reverse. .

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Ours is a simple 7 pin socket no need for any more it only has to power the lights. A standard towbar is all that is needed and yes 2013 it must be type approved but is a separate thing altogether from an A-frame

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For what it is worth, The Unibrake system is fully electronic and works using the servo system in the tow car. No elastic bands, overrun brakes or anything. Not cheap but very good indeed and adjustable from the MH cab

Quite liking the look of the "unibrake" but cannot find a hint of the cost of the complete ready to tow set up... Could you give us an idea ? PM if fine if you prefer ..

I would prefer one of the systems with the lighter weight A frames. That said the caratow kit looks good but I cant work out how the braking system works, It looks like the old mechanical type rather than the newer type electronic ones.

One thing is for sure this business is very complicated indeed. Or at least it is to me and I consider myself to have a good mechanical understanding ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you got all these replies and not one question or laugh about legality. That some sort of record I think, this site aint what it used to be.

anyhow, I had mine done by towtal, was about £900 brake pedal connected via a cable with a little catch poking out the front, very pro job.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
buy a trailer, may not be what you want, but its a cheaper option

and it does not do any damage to the towed car

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
you got all these replies and not one question or laugh about legality. That some sort of record I think, this site aint what it used to be.

anyhow, I had mine done by towtal, was about £900 brake pedal connected via a cable with a little catch poking out the front, very pro job.

Well I did request in post 1 that we do not discuss the legality of these devices and am grateful that so far it hasn't come up.

The Towtal is still in the frame.... See what I did there :) it's just me getting to understand how the brakes work . I get it that it's an overrun system and have not ruled it out.

Just trying to get as much input as I can as all the places that fit these kits is miles away from home. Like 2 or 3 hundred miles..

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well I did request in post 1 that we do not discuss the legality of these devices and am grateful that so far it hasn't come up.

The Towtal is still in the frame.... See what I did there :) it's just me getting to understand how the brakes work . I get it that it's an overrun system and have not ruled it out.

Just trying to get as much input as I can as all the places that fit these kits is miles away from home. Like 2 or 3 hundred miles..

Evesham to Chesterfield 100 miles :)

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Going to see Alan of Car-a-tow at Peterborough, he is great to talk to on the phone, good information and a gentleman.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Going to see Alan of Car-a-tow at Peterborough, he is great to talk to on the phone, good information and a gentleman.

Alan Bee and his son Andrew who run that company are really nice chaps.. They take the time to explain things and don't confuse the issue with constant diatribe. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back