Recommend us a scooter or motorbike please. (1 Viewer)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
We've been using one for just about a year and it works well two up. Loads of space for beer and wine and will happily do 80mph two up. We usually keep the speed down as the gear we wear is not as protective as when on the touring bike.

Allan

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
We've been using one for just about a year and it works well two up. Loads of space for beer and wine and will happily do 80mph two up. We usually keep the speed down as the gear we wear is not as protective as when on the touring bike.

Allan

80mph - crikey !!! I start getting nervous if I get up to 45mph on my 125 Honda PCX. You must have a powerful scooter !!! I also have a Carthago and it just about fits into the garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Allan
Only ever got 70. With the wind behind

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

Allan

The storage capacity for either riding gear or shopping/alcohol/take aways was an important part of our selection process. ;)

Only ever got 70. With the wind behind

I'm a fairly robustly built chap and on a test ride managed to get an indicated 70mph, into a head wind, before being forced to ease off due to traffic. That said, top speed is not really a major driver, we wanted something fairly low weight to cart about on an Easylifter Hydratrail which can also go 2 up fairly competently for visiting places of interest or shopping etc. Will also maybe use it locally when at home for errands.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
80mph - crikey !!! I start getting nervous if I get up to 45mph on my 125 Honda PCX. You must have a powerful scooter !!! I also have a Carthago and it just about fits into the garage.
The Veapa is a 300cc single and fits in the garage of my Carthago ctourer after I remove the mirrors and topbox. It's a tight fit but it I don't need to compress the forks to make it fit.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I should have added that the fastest I've had it is an indicated 85mph but no idea what that true speed was. But as @RowleyBirkinQC said top speed is not really relevant. It easily keeps up with traffic while two up and it has enough power to be safe.

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
I guess you have bought now so any advice from me is out of time. On the off chance you have not I would advise that I have moved from motorbikes to scooters about 3 years ago and would not go back. However scooter choice is about fitting the scoot to your particular needs as there are many models and manufacturers to choose from. It can get confusing. Everyone will have different views about what scoot and what manufacturer is better but the important thing is to consider what you will be using it for. The problem with the SH models is that you have to have a top box as storage under the seat is very limited. A top box adds height and length. Engine size and power output has to match your intended use. If you are doing two-up journeys pillion seat and foot peg set-ups vary. A 125cc scoot will manage 2-up duties OK as long as you are not considering long journeys across hilly terrain. Then it can be quite tedious. However if your main objective is to enjoy the views and arrive safely a 125 is fine. Bigger wheels are more stable than small wheels but much depends on your riding and likely use. For most routine jaunts to get from MH to shops or for a moderate speed trip using A roads rather than highways a 13" wheel will be fine. If your combined weight is heavier than average and you intend making longer trips you will need to think bigger capacity. Bigger scoots in the maxi-scoot range are heavy beasts and I would imagine anything approaching Maxi will be a bad choice for your MH garage. A Vespa GT250 or 300 is a nice scooter but in your price range you are not going to secure anything near its prime. Vespas are made of pressed steel and rust can be an issue. Body damage is difficult and costly to repair. Take your time and think carefully about what you need. Choose function over form. My wife and I both have scooters. I have a Piaggio BV350 which has big wheels enough power to give a motorcycle-like riding experience, good under seat storage and ABS brakes. They cost £4700 new and your budget will not extend to that. My wife has a Piaggio Fly 125. It is light, has enough under seat storage for waterproofs or a bit of shopping and will take 2 in relative comfort at a reasonable pace. Somewhere between £1000 and £1500 should secure a good one. If I was looking for powered 2 wheel transport to put in my MH garage this is the kind of scoot I would choose.

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Oops! Just read the posts on this page. The PCX125 is a good choice and much like the Piaggio Fly 125. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oops! Just read the posts on this page. The PCX125 is a good choice and much like the Piaggio Fly 125. Enjoy.
Hello and thanks for all the thought put into your response anyway. Yes we have now bought a scoot and on the whole are very happy with it. Enough storage for a good shop and nippy enough for us to negotiate the busy streets on London, which we did today!!

In rural situations though we are finding it a bit limited, but that is the compromise we have had to make as we really do not have the spare weight carring capacity to get anything bigger.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
The trouble with scooters over 125cc is the weight most are heavier than a small motorbike.
We carry a 650cc Kawasaki Versys in the garage 215kgs and keep thinking we'll change it for a scooter. If we do we'd prefer something over 125cc as well but most are very bulky and virtually the same weight.
Currently looking at Honda SH125 & SH300 but struggle to find one under £1500.00. Love the bike but a scooter would make more sense but very difficult to find one that suits our needs as we do like to tour on the bike and small scooters not very good at that.

Just traded in a SH125, it weighed about 125k, I now have a SH300 weighs 169k and its bloody briliant, extra weight gives it a more stable feel and the extra 160cc makes it a pleasure to ride especially overtaking ect, I am a Honda fan !!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just traded in a SH125, it weighed about 125k, I now have a SH300 weighs 169k and its bloody briliant, extra weight gives it a more stable feel and the extra 160cc makes it a pleasure to ride especially overtaking ect, I am a Honda fan !!

Another convert eh!!
Currently in Sicily with ours used it in the mountains 2 up no problem pulls like a train. And now I'm getting used to it it corners pretty good as well. Flies along on the motorway again 2 up at 70 mph so keeps you safe. My only criticism is the fuel tank range which is a bit low so I carry a gallon spare in the big top box.
Loving ours so much easier to get in n out than the 650 Kawasaki.

Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
Derbi Terra Adventure 125cc - 115kgs 17bhp - pulls 2 up (I am not little) with luggage up to about 65mph and weighs about 115kgs. Remove mirrors and screen in 1 minute and load on my own up a plank into the garage.
Terra_Adventure125_Wh_2_WEB.jpg

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Another convert eh!!
Currently in Sicily with ours used it in the mountains 2 up no problem pulls like a train. And now I'm getting used to it it corners pretty good as well. Flies along on the motorway again 2 up at 70 mph so keeps you safe. My only criticism is the fuel tank range which is a bit low so I carry a gallon spare in the big top box.
Loving ours so much easier to get in n out than the 650 Kawasaki.
Yes you are right I have to be careful I do not run out of fuel

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yes you are right I have to be careful I do not run out of fuel

Mines OK for up to 100 miles cruising 2 up just, but in the mountains less. If we plan to go exploring in the mountains which is our thing we put a gallon can in the top box.
Works for us.(y)(y)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have just uprated the rear springs on our PCX to adjustable ones. Haven't tested them yet but hope this will improve the handling and comfort when two up.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have just uprated the rear springs on our PCX to adjustable ones. Haven't tested them yet but hope this will improve the handling and comfort when two up.

Took a while to get the SH right for us as well especially coming from big bikes. Small wheels are never gonna be as good as full size at least the SH has 17" so not too bad. A big Givi top box with a back rest helps.

20160526_201359.jpg

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes we have added a back box with back rest too. The next thing will be clip on screen, not done the research yet though.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yes we have added a back box with back rest too. The next thing will be clip on screen, not done the research yet though.

The screen is a Givi and it's adjustable up and down, was already on the bike it's fantastic makes for a much nicer ride.
Also use it as a mounting point for the satnav which I power from the side light. Because we go so far off the main track we need the satnav.

Attachments

• 20161120_111534.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The screen is a Givi and it's adjustable up and down, was already on the bike it's fantastic makes for a much nicer ride.
Also use it as a mounting point for the satnav which I power from the side light. Because we go so far off the main track we need the satnav.
Is it a universal fit or designed for the SH? Fancy one of those for my Suziki Address. Don't have a screen because I would need to take it off to get the Address into the motorhome garage

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Is it a universal fit or designed for the SH? Fancy one of those for my Suziki Address. Don't have a screen because I would need to take it off to get the Address into the motorhome garage

Not sure as it was already fitted it's a Givi so it should be easy enough to find.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Same as mine literally takes a couple of minutes I have to take it off as well.
Just 4 small 8mm bolts.

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
To resuscitate this thread...
SH300 still seems the best MH/scoot combo ??
Probably inside the A class MH garage.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Some time in our murky pasts Jenny and I have hired various scooters on Greek Islands and never had one bigger than 80cc. We had a 50cc one for a day once and it lugged us about quite well, a combined 21 stones or so. (OK in all honesty non of them are going to wrench your arms ot of their sockets).

Looking at the published weights for a lot of these scooters they are at least as heavy as my Blackbird, heavier in some cases, so not a lot of weight saving to be made really. So I think that for myself to take the bike away with us I might as well buy a trailer and get a towbar fitted.

If its only to do a bit of shopping or a little local touring I don't see the need to go as far as 300+cc myself.

My grandson has a 125cc Chinese traily style bike (looks a bit like a kwacker) I keep thinking to myself that would be plenty good enough as a shopping bike for us.

That’s exactly what I did,another trailer.
With racks you could be worrying about overhang and weight on the rear axle.
As I get older find it harder to load.No worries with trailer,seems safer and easier to strap down.
I actually have two now,a three bike trailer and a side loading one.
This is great for a little Suzuki Address 125,That has big wheels but dimensions a little small for two big’ens so took off the top box and Andrea has a rucksack for shopping.
Use a Sym 300 Cruisym on the big trailer,easy to load as auto and will take us anywhere,sorted now.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
To resuscitate this thread...
SH300 still seems the best MH/scoot combo ??
Probably inside the A class MH garage.

Don't forget that a Flair has a taller garage than many, an SH300 is just a bit too tall for our Arto, whereas our Aprilia 300 will go in...just.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back