Recommend us a scooter or motorbike please.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles and Motorhomes' started by Armytwowheels, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

After much deliberation, swinging back and forth between Smart Car, quad, motorbike and scooter, we think that maybe, just possibly we have decided on a scooter to accompany us on our travels.

Our thinking has developed this way as we want to avoid towing if we can, or extending the length of the van with a rack. After a resuffle, aka chucking a lot of old crap out, we think we have enough room and more importantly weight carrying capacity for a scooter.

We went from this-
    image.jpeg

How many shoes?!
    image.jpeg

To this. We still have to fit our two MTBs in but think with turning the handle bars we will manage this with the scooter.
    image.jpeg
    The spare wheel has been taken out and moved forward into the double floor just behind the front axle, the bracket the wheel was on weighed almost as much as the wheel it's self, so fingers crossed we have shifted enough weight off the back axle to allow for a scooter.

The big question is which scooter or small motorbike?

It will have to be second hand and over 125cc but not too beefy or we will have weight issues. We have set a budget of £1,000. Doable or not? If a motorbike it will need to be fairly low as I will be riding it also and I am a bit short in the leg department!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

The trouble with scooters over 125cc is the weight most are heavier than a small motorbike.
    We carry a 650cc Kawasaki Versys in the garage 215kgs and keep thinking we'll change it for a scooter. If we do we'd prefer something over 125cc as well but most are very bulky and virtually the same weight.
    Currently looking at Honda SH125 & SH300 but struggle to find one under £1500.00. Love the bike but a scooter would make more sense but very difficult to find one that suits our needs as we do like to tour on the bike and small scooters not very good at that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. SandraL

SandraL Funster

For us the choice was dictated by weight on rear axle. We had 120kg left so its a 125 scooter at 109kg plus box hats etc =120kg. Sym Symphony 125.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Armytwowheels

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Power to weigh the best buy would be the last of the Japanese two stroke 125's

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Get a KTM,you know you want to.;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Armytwowheels

They are good for two up are they? Don't think so! Also don't think my feet would touch the ground. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Great 2 up,it is a bit tall though.The wee honda looks interesting but small wheels.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

No contest - get a good Honda ANF 125 - sadly only second hand now. Light, a step through, 17" wheels, low insurance and tax and I get about 140 mg out of mine and up to 60 mph on a good day and a following wind! Two up? Dunno about that as I've never done it, but it hauls my considerable bulk around with ease!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

I have a Honda PCX 125,it is about 120kgs but will tow it on a trailer but would fit in there I reckon,before had a Dylan 125 which was brilliant,would get to 60 two up eventually with two big en's on it and Would just manage 70 with only me :D.
    Fill up once a fortnight and easy maintenance Dylan may well be in your budget!good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

My cousin uses a Honda vision

• Like Like x 1
  13. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

The KTM Duke 390 is only about 139kg, but not sure if they've been out long enough to pick up a used one for your target budget...

http://www.ktm.com/gb/naked-bike/390-duke-2016/

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigtree

bigtree Funster

15. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Hi from miserable wet roadwork blocked UK

Hope all is well with you two. My fourpennorth as follows:-

While a trail bike type would ride better and cope with the roads better the limititaions tend to be the width of the handlebars ( making it more difficult to get in the garage) and the reduced stowage making it more difficult to leave your gear and get your shopping in.

I would also second the call for as big a wheel as you can find and proper suspension. We used to have a kymco 125 which was light and slim and easy to get in but had a smallish seat so could get a bit wearing on a longer journey and had small wheels so felt like a shopping trolley.

None of them ride like bikes, they all seem to have the wind up torque acceleration and you never sit on them the same so they dont handle like bikes.

Im not going to offer a suggestion as there are a lot of models out there I dont know about but I have ridden a few over the years and I think our Aprilia sportcity 300 is as good as you get for the biggest thing you can fit inside, but its heavy at 150 to 170 ( depending who you believe).

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/aprilia/sport-city-300/2008/

way too heavy but I would like to have a go on the honda invicta though because it has a dsg box.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/integra-2014/overview.html

Hope this helps

Jon

btw. I am thinking that next Morocco trip I might find a way to take a quad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

Looks the same size as our garage in our motorhome and we carred a Honda 125 motorbike not bad two up only had to take the mirrors off, now us a trans alp 650 with a hydralift (WORKS WELL IF YOU WANT A BIGGER BIKE)lots off posts about good and bad I am well in the good camp

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Armytwowheels

Yes I thought the same about small wheels, but we will make an effort to see one in the flesh. The scooter recommended by SandraL has 16" wheels and gets good reviews, a bit over our budget but we might be able to stretch that a bit!

18. CherryPirate

CherryPirate Funster

I

19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Sandra and Colin,

We have just bought an almost new ex-demonstrator Suziki Address, for a bit over your budget @ £1400. It is 108cc but will carry us both at 50mph at a push, so plenty of go in it. Automatic so just twist and go. It's dry weight is 97kg and we can push it up the folding ali ramp we bought into the garage.

Very pleased with it so far.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Armytwowheels

That looks good too. I am going to have a lot of bikes on my short list at this rate!!