Recommend a good quality compressor (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
As the title says could you recommend me a good quality compressor to add to the kit in my van.

Must be able to deliver up to 100PSI or more and not burn out like the cheapo models I have used.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Have a look at the Ring RAC900 - seems much better than the cheaper Ring models. Had mine about a year and no complaints so far!

Reactions: f6c

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I have a decent compressor bought from Costco a few years ago. It will provide over 100psi.

But !!

In order do do so, it use a lot of power. much more than any of my sockets are happy providing. Really needs to be connected directly to battery with substantial clips / cable.

It's fine for topping up car tyres, but if you need to pump up from low pressure a large MH tyre to 85psi, make sure you wear gloves when handling the compressor / connectors - it will get HOT!

I have used my stirrup-type bicycle pump to top up high pressure tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've just ordered one of these
Should arrive in a couple of days and I'll let you know what its like. Its only for backup in the camper and as I only run 60ish psi in my tyres it doesn't really need to go much beyond that and will only be used occasionally.

D.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Should arrive in a couple of days and I'll let you know what its like. Its only for backup in the camper and as I only run 60ish psi in my tyres it doesn't really need to go much beyond that and will only be used occasionally.

D.
I'd like to hear your assessment on it because it's something I'd consider carrying. An approximate size would be handy too. Like, would it fit in a shoe box size. Cheers

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No worries, I'll try to remember to give a review on this thread when it arrives and I've tested it.

D.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654

D.

Hi,

I have one of these, or very nearly an identical one. The only difference I can see is that my pressure gauge is incorporated in the connection to the tyre valve and not on top of the compressor itself.

I was very pleased with it last year travelling around France. It was invaluable with my leaky valves etc and combined with tyrepal was great. It will provide the inflation required but remember the cylinders are small so it can take a while(but significantly better that the usual little single cylinder job). As you can see in the picture it has crocodile clips not a cigarette lighter type plug so you will either need to change them or have reasonably easy access to the battery. With Helen the combination of the flexible hose and the power cable I was able to reach all four wheels, though it did mean coming through the habitation door to get to the rear nearside (LHD).

Many are suggesting the Ring compressor which I may look at, if it is heavier duty than this but this has been perfectly adequate for my 3.5/4.25 bar needs.

As an aside I strongly recommend the Tyre Pal, mine is the solar powered one (battery back up) and for those with flashy wheel trims who would have difficulty getting the valve sender on the usual short stem valves ask your tyre people to fit long stems and you will be alright (99% of the time).

One small niggle to consider is the attachment to the valve. It is not the usual clip on type but you have to screw it on and screw it back off which takes a few seconds longer.

The other thing, I never trust the built in pressure gauges and use my own dedicated mechanical and electronic ones.

Hope I have not killed the thread.

Clive

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years

D.
I have that one as well, a good bit of kit. The croc clips can't be changed as a cigarette socket could not supply the considerable power required to run it.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Ignore this first bit, left in because I was typing while Ranger was typing and I agree with him, read my last couple of lines which were the first of two edits (this the second)

Hi,

Yes, no problem at all. Simply get hold of a cigarette lighter plug, remove the crocodile clips, observe polarity and connect to relevant contacts in plug.

One small note of caution, if the plug has been robbed off of something else you may need to change the incorporated fuse (if such fitted in plug) to a higher value.

I did not need to change as I could easily access the battery terminals. On more recent vehicles than mine (just about everything else on the road) you will probably find in your engine compartment there is a positive terminal to attach a jump lead and of course the negative can go to any of the exposed bolts/nuts etc on the body shell. Both my cars have their batteries totally inaccessible under the floor in the back (Volvo), so there is provision at the front. If you manage to flatten my batteries you can't even get into the back to get to them, so I guess you will have provision at the front or easy access to the motorhome's starter battery.

I am sure I have made that as clear as mud now!

All the best Clive

Other post arrived as I was typing this out and I concur, if possible stick with the crocodile clips!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@Cleve, are the crocodile clips easy to change to cigarette lighter plug please?

As @Ranger has said, don't do it!

The unit referred to in the first hyperlink had a potential 'draw' of 30A and the unit referred to in the second hyperlink draws 20A!

Ian

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi Ian and Ranger

I completely agree with you and the crocodile clips should not be exchanged for the cigarette lighter plug. Simply DONT do it.

Good sound posts by you both. Thank you

Clive

OP
OP
urban_biker
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Thanks for all the advice. I've got my eye on a £30 ebay item similar to the one Dave is getting.

There seem to be a lot of them on there at a similar price with variations on the same design. Seeing as I am impatient I already ordered one so will also review on this thread.

According to EBAY "POWER FULL 25HP PERMANENT MAGNET MOTOR DRAWS 15 AMPS TO A MAXIMUM OS 30 AMPS." So I'll be attaching it directly to the battery with the engine running!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Well it arrived this morning, I'm a bit busy but here;s a first impression. It appears to be pretty well made and has a reasonably solid feel to it. I've just done a quick first test on a car wheel (205/50/15) and it inflated from completely flat to 29psi in three minutes. It doesn't sound cheap and tinny like some of the basic single cylinder jobs do, it has a deeper more solid noise but is not excessivley noisy. I will do a more thorough review when ?I get time to evaluate its performance more. The built in gauge is almost accurate as it indicated 30psi, the one missing pound may well have leaked during disconnection. The tyre valve connection is a screw on type so a bit fiddly but once connected it is a good connection.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
A bit more, I tried it over lunchtime on my motorhome (215/75/16) tyre, fully deflated first then used the new comp to reinflate it. A whisker over 15 minutes to take it to 75psi, the compressor itself was barely warm (22 deg C), the hose to the tyre valve was a bit warmer (30 deg C) and the wiring was warm (31 deg C) temps checkedc w3ith an infra red thermometer. Overall I think this will be fine for occasional use, topping a tyre up or even reinflating after dropping pressures to get out of soft ground for example. For £30 I say its good enough and good VFM.

D.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

D.
That is the same firm I got one from in early January
When you get it David, comparing it closely to the picture.
The type in the picture is fine, what I got is close but different.. And I really dislike the type I got cos the connection from the compressor to the air line was very poor indeed.. I kicked up a stink.. They admitted it was different but that was it. Had to report it to eBay to get the matter resolved.. Not good.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
That is the same firm I got one from in early January
When you get it David, comparing it closely to the picture.
The type in the picture is fine, what I got is close but different.. And I really dislike the type I got cos the connection from the compressor to the air line was very poor indeed.. I kicked up a stink.. They admitted it was different but that was it. Had to report it to eBay to get the matter resolved.. Not good.

John, mine is exactly as advertised, even down to the 25 HP motor. To be serious it is exactly as shown in the advert, the quick coupling on the air line is fine and works well, if I had to find fault it would be the screw on valve connector which is a pita with short valves and wheel trims, already making plans to replace that bit.

D.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
John, mine is exactly as advertised, even down to the 25 HP motor. To be serious it is exactly as shown in the advert, the quick coupling on the air line is fine and works well, if I had to find fault it would be the screw on valve connector which is a pita with short valves and wheel trims, already making plans to replace that bit.

D.
The one I ordered had a steel or brass coupling coming off the compressor head that the air line connected straight too.
The one I got was like yours with a rubber connector coming off the he'd, that was held in place not with a clamp but one of those pathetic Spring ring type things.. They last a little while but once they have got hot and cold a few times they sometimes blow off ...

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A bit more, I tried it over lunchtime on my motorhome (215/75/16) tyre, fully deflated first then used the new comp to reinflate it. A whisker over 15 minutes to take it to 75psi, the compressor itself was barely warm (22 deg C), the hose to the tyre valve was a bit warmer (30 deg C) and the wiring was warm (31 deg C) temps checkedc w3ith an infra red thermometer. Overall I think this will be fine for occasional use, topping a tyre up or even reinflating after dropping pressures to get out of soft ground for example. For £30 I say its good enough and good VFM.

D.

Hi Dave,

Well I trust your review 100% and have ordered one of these little compressors today, fingers crossed...(y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you're not planning on using it to respray your motorhome. For topping up tyres or occasionally pumping one up from flat I think it will do the job well.

D.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you're not planning on using it to respray your motorhome. For topping up tyres or occasionally pumping one up from flat I think it will do the job well.

D.

Hi Dave,

Compressor arrived this afternoon, one of my tyres was indicating it needed topping up so out I went, couldn`t have been easier, connected the compressor to the battery with the crocodile clips, fitted the air line to the tyre and switched in on.
The tyre fitting is a bit fiddly but something to get used to, well impressed with the little compressor did exactly what it says on the tin, £29 well spent I`m thinking.

Thanks for the recommendation.(y)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm interested in this little guy as liking what i hear for the price of it :)
But i have a question what are the dimensions of it ?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I'm interested in this little guy as liking what i hear for the price of it :)
But i have a question what are the dimensions of it ?
It's roughly 26cm long 10cm wide and 14cm high.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back