Recomendations on isle of Skye? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Heading over to Skye on our Scottish travels. Has anyone any recomendations as to where to stay?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Heading over to Skye on our Scottish travels. Has anyone any recomendations as to where to stay?

Campsite on the beach at Glenbrittle Estate. Absolutely beautifull. Peacefull, stunning views, great swimming (if you're daft enough like me!:ROFLMAO:) and right at the side/foot of the Cullins.
I.M.H.O, far FAR better than the one most people go to oppsoite the pub on the mainroad, (Sligachan ... IV47 8SW ) just before you turn down towards Glenbrittle. Unfortunately for that place, the main road across Skye can get very busy with heavies and they echo round the hills spoiling what should be a peacefull place.

Link Removed

Last edited:

Dingray

Free Member
Dec 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
CB
Exp
Since 2000
Camping on Skye

Can recomend this site:-

Kinloch campsite
Dunvegan
IV55 8WQ

Phone 01470 521 210
Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Outdoorgirl

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
staying on Isle of Skye

Hi , Its outdoor girl, when we stayed on Skye we favoured two sites, one was just the other side of Portree just as you drive out going north. The other was right at the top where the Ferry port to Harris is. The camp site is literally right beside the Ferry port.
Its basic but makes a good base. If you go to Skye, dont forget to go to the Sea Eagle centre. Good luck on your travels.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
We stayed on Skye last April on a lovely wee site near Dunvegan castle cant remember its name will bi in my log in M/H if you need it let me know it was about 5 min walk to the small town and had lovely views. The owner was a great old guy sitting in his office when we arrived with a few campers having a dram what a job.

If your getting the ferry to mainland and looking for a wildcamping spot as you drive past the ferry terminal road goes to single track but not to far along on the right you will see a small dirt track only goes about 100yards uphill given you great views we stayed there night before the ferry with 2 other mh's when you arrive park at bottom of hill and take a walk up if other mh's are there better to reverse up so your facing out.

Gerry

Dave'N'Mags

Free Member
Apr 17, 2009
Funster No
Hi

Id say it depends largely on what you want from the site.

If you are simply looking for a central base from which to explore the island, and dont intend to spend too much time actually on site, then IMO the Slighachan Campsite, across the road from the Slighachan Inn takes a lot of beating. Unles the showers etc have been updated pretty recently, the site itself leaves more than a lot to be desired, but its an ideal location. The pub does decent bar meals, is very family friendly (even had a free to use Wii for the kids last time we were there), and seems not to know when to close.

If however, you want a quiet place to say, then Staffin Bay, up in the north wil fit the bill. It does sometimes get pretty busy, but its generally ok. Not much round about, not even a pub, but its a beautiful area - as is all of Skye!

Enjoy!

Mags

:thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I'm not so keen on Skye because I prefer to wildcamp. Mull for me but I've given you a 'bump' anyway.:winky:

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
We've used the Dunvegan site which is pretty good, plus it's quite close to the Three Chimneys if you want to treat yourself to a fanstastic meal (there is a local taxi driver with a nice Merc who'll run you to and from the place).

At Easter this year we decided to give the new C&CC site a go and it's also very nice indeed - the toilet blocks are brand new and just about the nicest I've used.

original.jpg

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Try the North side of the island at the Quarang, well worth the visit, and a place to wildcamp half way down the the road on east side a big car park next to the cementry, and views to the mainland. Also nice place right on the side side of the loch, is ORD watch the otters swimming by, :thumb:by the side of Loch Slappin:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back