recomendations for mid range electric folding bike? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I know this has been mentioned before but just come back from local m/home show at Stafford.Was initially hoping to bring an E-bike back but even more confused as to which one to choose! Dont want to spend over £700 and needs to be a folder so I can put inside van back of passenger seat.Has anyone had one for a while that they can recommend especially the spares situation.The one I fancy is the E-ranger Stowaway but not met anyone with one so far....Reguards Chris.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
We bought one last year at Newbury for Mrs N. Great little machine. The only thing I have had a problem with is the wiring to the front light is very fine & snapped off the connector when folding the light down. Not a lightweight at just under 20kgs without battery. Mrs is very happy with it. I bought the Overlander & love it!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Might be just over your budget, but the Kudos Secret is a good little folder. We have 2 Kudos bikes, a Safari and Mrs A has a Tempo ( Kudos are only a few miles from where we used to live) had them almost 3 years and nothing has gone wrong with them, batteries still perform as they did when new.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Mine is a pro-rider E- wayfairer I bought it second hand off eBay, Halfords serviced it and replaced gear and brake cables for me for £50. It has a throttle handgrip and I planned to buy it new but they couldn't get re-stocked before the new legislation came in. I had waited three months for re-stocking, not happy. Halfords returned it to me looking almost new and I am thrilled with it. The bike is light but the battery makes it feel heavy. A good sturdy bike which was recommended to me by another Motorhomer.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Mine was £300 + £50

?

Deleted User
Did i not see two for sale with spare batteries on this forum?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have 2 the same as hammie. 15kg without the battery. Prorider seem good to deal with for spares. My chain guard broke recently, it's the only flimsy thing about the bike. Battery gives good mileage.
Don't let the battery lie uncharged for long periods.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Whats this new legislation you mention-dont want to buy an unsuitable bike?

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
AS Bikes, Coventry. They were at the Midlands show.
We bought two electric folding bikes off them 2 years ago.
Had no problems at all.....and when we visit them at a show we always
give them the positive comments/views people make as we go around on them.
Have a look at their feedback on the web site....its amazingly good.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a E-ranger Stowaway, and would second the issue with the front light wiring but not a biggie easily fixed. We also had an problem with the battery light not functioning as it should, the battery was replaced there and then, this was way out of warranty. When we wanted a certificate of conformity then they sent it through nice and quickly, asked about disabling the throttle control, they explained how and if we take it along will do it for us (not bothered doing it but wanted to check). So good service before and after sale.

It is really my wife's bike so I do not use it much but when I do, I find the front suspension a bit soft, maybe this could be hardened, but then I weigh 100kg and Jacqui does not so for her it is fine. Folds down easily can pop it in the car boot so all in all happy with it, we also looked at and tried AS bikes and some others cannot remember why we chose eRanger, but no regrets. You should definitely try them out and preferably on different surfaces and gradients.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Whats this new legislation you mention-dont want to buy an unsuitable bike?
E-bikes cannot have a "throttle only" setting in future. That is, bikes bought after the legislation came in.

In order to comply bikes must be "pedelec". The motor cannot run unless the pedals are turned. Running on twist grip throttle alone will not be allowed.

This law is current in many EU countries. The U.K. were originally looking for an exemption as they felt it discriminated against people with handicaps and the elderly, but have had to come into line.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
So most E-bikes currently being sold dont comply as they have 3 settings-one is power only?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
So most E-bikes currently being sold dont comply as they have 3 settings-one is power only?
I am not the expert on this. Someone will be along soon with the definitive answer, but I think that new bikes that don't conform can still be sold for a while.

However, in Spain in particular they are already illegal. Some people have resorted to fitting a screw into the throttle to avoid it turning.:confused:

All I am suggesting is that, if you are in the market now, it makes little sense to buy a bike that cannot be used legally in parts of Europe now.

I know I don't fancy my chances trying to explain to foreign Police Officers that " I know it's illegal now but it was legal when I bought it so it's OK".

I appreciate that may be the legal position but I can do without the hassle so bought a "compliant" model.:)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am the proud owner, as is my wife of two AS bikes. These are
our second and slightly more powerful bikes than the first two second hand AS bikes we had before.
One important factor about AS Bikes is the owner and designer Peter. His word , his support and his availability at most Motorhome Shows is invaluable.
As of January this year, it is not legal to have a throttle control on this type of bike, however much they cost. Although I was told by another electric bike dealer at Stratford Show that nobody would bother you about it (???). In Spain the fine is I believe €900 for using a throttle.
I love our electric bikes even with their 15mph maximum speed, although using power assist with one battery they still manage a decent 25 miles+. We have learnt to only use power on hills going up which extends the power. In Spain they helped us climb the steepest hill up to 1 in 4 which we were delighted with. So far, after 5 years riding them, the only problem has been adjusting the gear selector as I imagine the cable stretched and Peter fixed that for us.

Alan

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
We have 2 the same as hammie. 15kg without the battery. Prorider seem good to deal with for spares. My chain guard broke recently, it's the only flimsy thing about the bike. Battery gives good mileage.
Don't let the battery lie uncharged for long periods.

Did I meet you in Bath then?

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015

In January the legislation changed but my understanding of the situation was that in UK grandfather rights would apply to bikes bought before the change. Pro-rider said if I was going to Spain I could phone them and they would guide me through the disabling of the throttle (temporarily). I am very grateful to the Motorhomers who let me try theirs in Bath campsite. £350 and I LOVE IT! I understand you just need to disconnect a wire to disable the throttle.

StephenH

Free Member
Mar 9, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
would definitely recommend an All Seasons Ecompact, best value for money in the folding ebike market, saw them at the NEC the other week and my review on ebikeclass.com gives you the lowdown!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I am the proud owner, as is my wife of two AS bikes. These are
our second and slightly more powerful bikes than the first two second hand AS bikes we had before.
One important factor about AS Bikes is the owner and designer Peter. His word , his support and his availability at most Motorhome Shows is invaluable.
As of January this year, it is not legal to have a throttle control on this type of bike, however much they cost. Although I was told by another electric bike dealer at Stratford Show that nobody would bother you about it (???). In Spain the fine is I believe €900 for using a throttle.
I love our electric bikes even with their 15mph maximum speed, although using power assist with one battery they still manage a decent 25 miles+. We have learnt to only use power on hills going up which extends the power. In Spain they helped us climb the steepest hill up to 1 in 4 which we were delighted with. So far, after 5 years riding them, the only problem has been adjusting the gear selector as I imagine the cable stretched and Peter fixed that for us.

Alan
Nobody in Spain will ever ever ever get prosecuted under this EU-wide ruling.
Really.
The Spanish Police system doesn't work that way.

Your Policia Local officer is a local townhall council employee; not a member of any regional or national "proper" Police force.
S/he left school at 16, has lived in that village all their life, has never had any legal training at all.
He has not the foggiest idea that somewhere in the depths of the EU an obscure regulation has been passed, and that he might one day ever have to closely examine the operating system of an ebike in order to determine it's legality.
It simply isn't an issue on the radar of anyone here in Spain, and never will be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back