recipes ,for a 2 burner hob ??? (1 Viewer)

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
oohhh get you ??:ROFLMAO: not nice is it people havn there opinion is it ? dnt like it do ye ? i think you shud just keep your own opinions to your self as many people have stated in the PMs to me ? its enough to make anyone not come on the site ? thanks not lookn for a reply so dnt bother ????:Angry:

Dont understand what you are saying with the dreadfull spelling and the awfull Liverpool accent

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I have replied, now what are you going to do about it? Tell your mummy? PM all your pals to complain?

Go away and steal someones hub caps or whatever you you do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
I have replied, now what are you going to do about it? Tell your mummy? PM all your pals to complain?

Go away and steal someones hub caps or whatever you you do
ooooooooooooooo ?i have replied, now what are you going to do about it ???? hahaha FREAK:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: is that the best you can come up with FREAK ? hiding behind your computer givn threats out ? steal hub caps haha FREAK :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
get a life a wife or a dog or what ever you FREAKS get up to in your spare time ?? bye bye FREAK ????? thanks again:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
skillet is rubbish. takes too long and wastes gas. pressure cooker far quicker n cheaper to use. tryed them all skillet /drypans etc came back to what my grandma swore by.keeps all the goodness in the food. ask most chefs every commercial kitchen as one atleast.

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
skillet is rubbish. takes too long and wastes gas. pressure cooker far quicker n cheaper to use. tryed them all skillet /drypans etc came back to what my grandma swore by.keeps all the goodness in the food. ask most chefs every commercial kitchen as one atleast.

Hi Alan

Naa. Microwave anytime:ROFLMAO:

Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
hello i need some help ? recently jus purchased a talbot hobby ? but the problem is that i only have a 2burner hob and am tryn to think of things to cook that dosnt need an oven apart from the genaral things that ye can cook ? any tips or even a recipe that will come in handy coz when i go on my trip to europe i will be doin most of the cooking in my van to save money so all hands to the pump as they say and help or i mite starve :ROFLMAO: thanks keith

Hi Keith

You could try a steamer tescos do them for about a tenner.

But please dont ask about Generators for god sake!:ROFLMAO:

Ant&Debs

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could ask about filling your english gas bottle, breakdown recovery abroad
half a pound of two penny rice,half a pound of treacle ,
thats what makes the money go round,
pop goes the weisel

cheers alan

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Cooking...

Delia has some great recipes for the Motorhome

Eating with the seasons has never been easier! - from Delia Online

There are some great receipes in her Cheat Cook Book which are very tasty such as Goulash which we have made on the hob and its very tasty. Some of the receipes can be made from Canned food or fresh, just follow her tips and get very high percentage meat content 80%+ cans. We got the book very cheap from the http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/

N&K
All hail Queen Delia :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
I didn't think anyone used these things anymore Alan, not seen one around for years. My family had a huge one that we did potatoes in, as a child we all stood back in squinty eyed excitement and waited for inevitable explosion when it was opened, potato all over the ceiling :ROFLMAO:.

My old dad would never throw it away and insisted we used it, I notice he never opened it himself though.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have been using our pressure cooker for years and swear by it. Just a small tip, instead of having to take it outside to let the steam out when releasing the pressure (so that it doesn't end up in the motorhome), just put it under the cold tap for a few seconds, then let the pressure out, easy peasy - try it and see the difference, if you haven't already.
Great for one pot stews.

Nigel and Pamala

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Keith and a belated welcome to the site, it was nice to meet you in chat. Please don't judge us all by the response of a few. Back to topic, the one thing I missed only having a hob was the ability to warm pies etc. then found a plate on top of the frying pan which is then covered with a saucepan lid makes a great oven to do the job. I can live well out of a frying pan anyway, boiled fried, stewed, or steamed. gives you loads of choice. Pressure cooker, double skillet, cobb (do look that one up using google) if you have not come across one already, Could be a BBQ, bread oven, or roast a joint, great and definately on my to get list. (If anyone has an unuwanted cobb for disposal please do let me know) with a saucepan and frying pan the list is endless,don't forget pasta and rice. Omlette, rissoto, fish dishes, curries stews, chilli beans, spagbog etc.
Corned beef fried in batter, very filling and tasty. So cook away and enjoy, and don't forget fresh fruit. No need to go hungry at all. If you use a hookup why not get a breadmaker.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi haaamster, pressure cooker is a must .i was in the army ctering corp we used great big pressure cookers .most commercial caterers use them .as you travel the world they popup all over the place. i still use my grans. as well as a new stainless one. the old ones are usually ally. not too good they say today,causes alzimers. too late for me. they also make good big pans for boiling crabs etc. they arent very expensive and last for years.
off thread i also use a kelly/volcano kettle another bit of use full kit. boils water inabout 1to 2 minutes. look them up on google. cheers alan.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
hello i need some help ? recently jus purchased a talbot hobby ? but the problem is that i only have a 2burner hob and am tryn to think of things to cook that dosnt need an oven apart from the genaral things that ye can cook ? any tips or even a recipe that will come in handy coz when i go on my trip to europe i will be doin most of the cooking in my van to save money so all hands to the pump as they say and help or i mite starve :ROFLMAO: thanks keith

Chicken can usually be found in every Supermarket and you could take or buy en route jars of sauces ie curry or even take with you some packet sauces and rice. Pasta is another quick and easy meal, again with sauces.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi all.....we have 4 rings on are cooker plus oven and very really use them we use a cobb good bit of kit, a cadac, and a 2 burner gas/grill we bought from aldi run of a small calor bottle as you can see we like to cook outside.:thumb::thumb:

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
hi haaamster, pressure cooker is a must .i was in the army ctering corp we used great big pressure cookers .most commercial caterers use them .as you travel the world they popup all over the place. i still use my grans. as well as a new stainless one. the old ones are usually ally. not too good they say today,causes alzimers. too late for me. they also make good big pans for boiling crabs etc. they arent very expensive and last for years.
off thread i also use a kelly/volcano kettle another bit of use full kit. boils water inabout 1to 2 minutes. look them up on google. cheers alan.
Hi Alan I got a steamer for now from tescos today so i'll try that first.

Thanks
ps. Hope your granny doesn't want her pressure cooker back :winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
cooking

Hi Keith
I think you are worrying over nothing, all what the funsters have said before me I endorse...in our motorhome and it is not the top of the range just a basic normal motorhome we have three gas burners and a oven/grill...BUT I love cooking outside on a single burner (then you don't have all the fat and steam all over the kitchen area) buy what Jim suggested a wok, fantastic for the van ( that is what the Chinese use all the time 1 wok)...and the meals from the wok are endless....one meal / dish you could try......we cook is... (uncooked) Fresh Prawns fried in garlic/chili butter & black pepper on a plate of fried rice

fried rice,
Cook/boil the long grain rice for eight mins in water drain and rest for 6 mins...after, just run your fork through to separate...

Then cook finely diced veg, onion, red and /or green pepper, diced mushrooms, with a pinch of chili powder? (depending how hot your like it) in some cooking oil or sesame oil or nut palm oil about 1 table spoon of oil, cook until there is still a little crunch in the veg's

Add the cooked rice to the cooked veg's,into the wok and shake in some soy sauce depending how strong you like your soy and fry for about 5 mins...keep tossing the mix of rice and veg.....then keep warm...use the same wok, add some butter, puree/or chopped garlic, pinch of chili powder, black pepper fry, for about two to three mins (do not burn) on a hot heat ...

Then add in your uncooked peeled prawns and toss in the butter / garlic mix for about two to three mins until all the prawns have changed colour from translucent / green to a orangey / pink (don't cook to long or the prawns will be rubbery) put some fried rice on a plate with prawns on top and drizzle some of the butter / garlic / black pepper sauce on top.......Mmmmmm
from Mel in France....

only one problem!!!Keith if my wife and I smell the dish you will see two people walking towards you (with there plates) good luck, bon appétit,
also we have a small watt electric chip fryer and also a chip pan, if on a site with electric out comes the fryer, if no electric out comes the single burner and then we are cooking on gas ...and because we to used to have a fish and chip shop ...fish and chips many times ...or battered prawns or breaded prawns....now look what you have done ..I am feeling very hungry
I also I cook crepes/pancakes, omelets all in the wok even use it for frying cook battered fish in it endless what you can cook, chips in a wok...we also have a cadac BBQ ..5 in 1
Hope I have helped you in a little way

Last edited:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Don't know why but i can't access page 6 here.

I don't know if this helps but we usually cook and freeze a chicken and a piece of beef before we go. We then put them in the freezer compartment in the mh. These give us the first two meals and sandwich lunches.

In the last motor home we had 3 burners but no oven. We got a mini oven from Aldi £20 and this is great, bakes fish- in white wine peppers amd garlic,makes cakes ( from packet mix- I'm on my hols!) bakes potatoes.....
Lucille

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Anyone who subscribes to BBC Good Food Mag will have received theirs today hopefully - I have. There is a little book of favourite recipes in it this month, with some great hob top and one pot bits for motorhoming.
We bouil up a piece of ham before we go and if wrapped in greaseproof it will keep for up to 14 days in the fridge. Always available for sarnies and ham and eggs and the bits can go into ham fried rice.:thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you are going abroad for winter take some of the cryovac packed bacon jts you get in asda etc . they will keep in a cool place not neccasary a fridge. i useone at xmas in maroc as its hard to get them there. cook in pressure cooker lovely. or roast in oven with lots of honey on top. mmmmm

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Lifted these recipes from the 'other side'-credit where its due
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
1tbsp veg oil
1 chopped onion
400g chicken mini fillets
4tbsp thai green curry paste
250g basmati/wild rice mix
2 deseeded and wedged red peppers
zest and juice 1 lime
400g can coconut milk
coriander leaves to serve

1. Heat oven to 200c gas 6, heat oil in shallow casserole, soften onion,add chicken and paste, cook for 3 mins to coat chicken.
2. Stir in the rice, peppers, zest juice and coc.milk and 250ml boiling water bring to boil and cover and bake for 20mins

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hob to table "Moussaka"

2tbs olive oil
1 large chopped onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
500g minced lamb
400g can chopped toms.
2 tbs tomato puree
2tsp cinnamon
200g jar grilled auburgines in oil (lidl?) drined and chopped
200g pack feta crumbled
chopped mint 3tbs

1. heat ol in a pan add onion garlic fry until soft add mince and brown
2. add toms, puree and cinnamon, then season, simmer for 20 mins, adding aubergines halfway through
3. sprinkle with feta and mint wait for feta to melt and viola!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pork and Cider Hotpot

4 pork chops
4 carrots sliced
2 large leeks sliced
3tbs plain flour
500ml cider or apple juice 750g thinly sliced potatoes
1tbs butter

preheat oven to 180c gas 4

Brown chops in oil and remove to a plate, fry carrots and leeks and brown in the oil, stir in flour and cider and bring to simmer, place chops on top and cover with sliced pots. cover with lid or foil and bake for 1 hour, remove lid for further 20 mins to brown pots. Sprinkle with thyme if desired and serve

:thumb:

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Cooking...

Looks better than what I cook at home, especially the pork and cider :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
S

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Just had a ferret around and I've come up with these cookbooks from my collection (how sad?) These particular books I have used when training youngsters for Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
Warning the prices quoted are at time of purchase some may only be available S/H.
!)BBC Good Food 101 One pot recipes ISBN 0-563-52291-7 £4.99
2) The Backpackers Cookbook by Dave Coustick ISBN 1-897784-38-4 £4.99
3) The One burner Gourmet by Harriet Barker ISBN0-8092-5883-8
US import $14.95
4) The Outdoor Cookbook by Jack Cox
ISBN 0-7088-2012-6 £3.90
1&2 should still be available $ may only be available s/h
The Marks & spencer book is called Cooking on Holiday by Jeni Wright and is only available s/h although with the growth in 'staycation' and self-catering hols they should reprint it.
Happy hunting and Bon apetit!!

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
There are many great cooks on this forum, I'm sure, so this is not meant to be patronising, please. This receipe is for those who are having to cook on their own for the first time.
Here is a simple hob top stir fry

Ingredients
1 chicken fillet per person cut into cube sized pieces.
1 Red and 1orange bell pepper cut up into cube sized pieces.
1 large onion peeled and chopped up into pieces same size as chicken and peppers.
4 cloves ( or less to taste ) of garlic peeled and chopped up finely.
Half a packet of Bean sprouts
Small pointed cabbage, cut up, veins and core removed and sliced up.
Soy sauce.
Chinese 5 spice powder 1 tablespoon in a cereal bowl.
1 tablespoon per fillet of Cornflour in a cereal bowl.
One ring of dried noodles per person
Sunflower oil or Sesame oil if you have it.

Method;
1Put chicken in a bowl and add 4 splashes of soy sauce to marinade for 10 minutes minimum .Pour yourself a glass of wine.:wine:

2 Dip chicken pieces (previously marinated in soy sauce) in cornflour and coat all over then dip each one into the 5 spice powder. Take a sip of wine.:wine:

3 Heat oil in a large deep frying pan on first burner until really hot, and cover large deep frying pan bottom with chicken pieces. Leave the chicken pieces to brown for a couple of minutes, resist the temptation to joggle them and turn them over.
Fry in batches until they are brown all over and cooked through. (Juices are clear when pierced with a skewer).

4 Remove chicken to a plate and add more oil if necessary. Add pepper pieces and then onion and garlic cook for a few minutes, then put chicken pieces back into the pan with the onion and garlic and peppers . Take another sip of wine.

5 Put dried noodles onto a pan of hot water on the second burner and simmer for 2/3 minutes.

6 Put bean sprouts and cabbage into pan with chicken and cook quickly. Season to taste.

7 Drain noodles and add to chicken in pan. Finish wine!:wine:
Hope this helps.
Lucille

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
cooking

Keith
Always take some spices with you
Chilli powder
Curry powder
Cayenne pepper
Black pepper
Take some sauces
Wok sauce
Soy sauce
Oyster sauce
Garlic
Raw ginger
And if you are brave enough to cook fish and chips ( because you are using deep fat/oil outside)
Always use plain flour
take some bi-carbonated soda to add to the batter pinch is ok with a pinch of salt...you could use beer but I think you would much rather drink it.(not self raising flour)
you only require small amounts of the spices, put then into small polythene bags and put them in a plastic container and the same for the sauces small amounts
With these items you can bring to life/spice up lots of dishes (even ready made food)or add to a new dish.

From Mel in France

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back