Recent Swift/Bessacarr models - cab roof vibrations? (2 Viewers)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not good vibrations either.

Just back in from road testing our new Bessacarr 484 MH for a month round France, and on three occasions whilst driving a loud rattling started in the cab roof (low profile, no luton). Our model has the acrylic sun roof with the decorative full width dark acrylic panel between the roof hinges and the windscreen, and I've noticed this feature on other Swift models. On two occasions this happened whilst accelerating down sloping slip roads to merge with the autoroute, and on the third occasion at low speed whilst driving around Cite Europe. It hasn't happened at any other time and we've done 3,000 miles in it since purchase on all sorts of roads.

I have most definitely NOT left the sun roof partly open on any of these occasions.

My private theory is that it's resonating, ie vibrating at its natural frequency, which only occurs under certain engine rev/wind flow conditions, but I could be wrong.

I'm therefore interested to hear from anyone with a recent Swift or Bessacarr MH with the full frontal (ooer missus) dark acrylic panel above the windscreen who's experienced this disconcerting racket. It goes away if I reduce speed for a second or two, and it doesn't come back. I'm considering contacting Swift about it as a warranty backup in case the panel starts to split, so any additional evidence will be welcome.

Snooty offhand comments about Swift build quality won't be welcome. We've been delighted with pretty much every aspect of the vehicle - it's just this one issue that's perplexing us. Thanks in advance for any positive input.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I used to view the Swift owners forum when we had our Bolero, it has been an issue with Swifts, particularly the Rio range, I believe Swift were replacing some panels on some models for this problem, contact Swift or your dealer.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I have the Bessacarr 442 and sometimes get a vibration noise, usually only on poor roads though, it is a known issue though and as far as I know there is a trim that can be fitted to stop the vibration, hope you're enjoying the van other than that though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have the Bessacarr 442 and sometimes get a vibration noise, usually only on poor roads though, it is a known issue though and as far as I know there is a trim that can be fitted to stop the vibration, hope you're enjoying the van other than that though

Very pleased with it thank you, after giving it a thorough road test. It's perfectly suited to our current needs.

The only other mechanical issue we've had is the metal heat reflector that's curled rather haphazardly around the exhaust box. One end of it got metal fatigue from the slipstream and was hanging by a thread after only 2500 miles. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Having just come back from using ours for a further 2 1/2 weeks the main issue I had was the waste water pipe, don't know if yours is the same but our tap rotates down to empty and then it goes back up out of the way when travelling, the pipe that links the tap and waste tank sheared off at the point where it's jubilee clamped, it's a rubbish design in my opinion, I'm going to try and devise a way of improving it.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
The vibrations you are referring to were subject to a safety recall soon after we got our Rio in June 2015. Swift had a mobile team visit our address to reset some holding brackets for the valance. We experienced the vibrations before the fix, but haven't had them since. I noticed on Swift Talk recently that the vibrations are still an issue on 2017 vans!

We too love our van despite dozens of quality control issues, two years on and almost all fixed.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having just come back from using ours for a further 2 1/2 weeks the main issue I had was the waste water pipe, don't know if yours is the same but our tap rotates down to empty and then it goes back up out of the way when travelling, the pipe that links the tap and waste tank sheared off at the point where it's jubilee clamped, it's a rubbish design in my opinion, I'm going to try and devise a way of improving it.

The outlet pipes for waste and fresh water on our 484 are on brackets, they appear to point permanently downwards and are very low. So low that I had to cut a hole in our grey water jerry can to keep using it. There's no obvious sign of them rotating, short of loosening them with a spanner. The dump valves are electrical, controlled by switches above the hab door.

The vibrations you are referring to were subject to a safety recall soon after we got our Rio in June 2015. Swift had a mobile team visit our address to reset some holding brackets for the valance. We experienced the vibrations before the fix, but haven't had them since. I noticed on Swift Talk recently that the vibrations are still an issue on 2017 vans! We too love our van despite dozens of quality control issues, two years on and almost all fixed.

We're booked in with the dealership to have the valance rattle problem addressed, and three other minor issues. It seems to me that the makers of the acrylic valance (Dometic?) haven't addressed a fundamental flaw in its design. The last time it rattled I was going at a steady speed and deliberately drove the offside wheels over the white lines and cats eyes to set up an interference pattern, and the rattle stopped straight away. That suggests to me that the issue is resonance from a certain frequency of engine/road vibration, and is nothing to do with airflow or wind speed. That might explain why it happens at different speeds.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
The temporary fix to prevent vibrations is to apply masking tape along the bottom of the valance to reduce the airflow.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Magicsurfbus I would be interested in the outcome of the fix applied by the dealer. I have a Bolero with the same problem.

Trevor

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016

My 696 has the same set up. its crap!

My main problem is it leaks out of the joins to the waste tank then the tap when I swing it down. I am planning to gaffer tape shit s$%^ out of it as a temporary fix until I design a better solution.

IMG_2161.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back