Reasurance .......

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gordoncbrown, Jun 26, 2012.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Just finishing sorting things out for heading odd today. We had not used the fridge on gas since it had been checked at the habitation check so I decided to check all the appliances as we will be wildcamping some of the time we are away. Everything else worked except I couldn't get the fridge to light. Probably not waiting long enough for the gas to get through. I's working fine on 240 and 12v. Didn't have too much time to mess about as I had to head to work. Is impatience the most likely cause?
    Hope to see some other Funsters on our way to Poitiers

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Probably is impatience. We used to have a similar problem sometimes with our Autoquest 100 from same group.

3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Gordon,
    Perhaps if the fridge has not been used for gas for some time it may take a little longer for the gas to reach the burner, also check the internal stop valve usually situated somewhere in the kitchen area. It may be when the habitation was done the stop valve was turned off and needs to be turned on again.
    Finally your observation may be right it does take a while for the gas to ignite but keep finger on ignition button on fridge until the ignition light goes out.

Have a good trip.

Norman

4. buttons

buttons Funster

Could be as simple as a spider or even a mouse nesting in your igniter or chewed through the power cable. Both very unlikely of course but you wouldn't be the first.:Sad:

5. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Not as unlikely as you might think. We had to get the heater repaired earlier in the year. It was a wasp that was in the combustion area that was preventing ignition. That was a first for us..:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Quite a coincidence Gordon - decided to do the same thing on my Compass last week before heading off to Northumberland - and took me ages to get it lit. Eventually resorted to looking at instructions (!) You need to turn the gas control knob to full on, then hold in, and just keep clicking the igniter until it eventually catches. I have found with such devices in the past that it actually has lit, but wasn't viewing the flame through the little viewing port exactly right - in the case of mine though it was very clearly visible when it did eventually light.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mike

7. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Yip. Impatience it was. Got it lit at lunchtime there. Almost need to have my head inside the fridge to see the flame. I'll not do that with the oven.:Rofl1::Smile::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lindylooj

Lindylooj Read Only Funster

Ok its me being ignorant but I thought that if you had your gas turned on and turned the fridge to gas that was all you had to do? Where do you find a flame? Durrrrrh enlighten please - by gas if you want! :BigGrin:

9. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Inside the fridge at the back lower left side, on the model of fridge I have, there is a small round "window". Once the fridge is lit it has a blue flame in it and is working. Hope this helps

10. Lindylooj

Lindylooj Read Only Funster

Thanks for that, will have to look next time I go out to the van. :Smile:

11. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Must have a look I thought once the igniter stopped clicking fridge was working, it always has up to now. Never knew you could see a little gas flame, must remember to look when I am next in "The Beast"

Norman

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It all depends on the fridge model. Our Elddis had one like Gordon's but the Burstner has no little window - you know it's lit if the light by the control is not flashing/clicking.