Rear View Video Camera System

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Stewart J, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

We have a factory fitted reversing camera, thinking of fitting a mirror mounted monitor and rear viewing camera to see what's going on behind when driving. Anyone done this and have any recommendations there is a bewildering assortment on Ebay. Preferred camera fitting option would be in the spare wheel housing and leading cables under and along chassis into cab.

Thanks in advance

2. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

As far as I am aware most reversing cameras have this feature already!

Are you sure that yours doesn't?

:cooler:

3. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

You obviously don't own an Autotrail

• Like Like x 1
  4. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Do you only get an image from the camera when in reverse gear in AV1 mode? Do you get any image if you select AV2 regardless of gear selection? Our old (standard) AT Tracker does...

5. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Image only in reverse, restricted downward view showing back of vehicle and rearward a a couple of metres.

6. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Sounds like the same/similar view we get from our single lens camera which came on the van.

7. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Yes much the same as our previous van a Tracker. Ideal solution would be to remove the bonded housing (sikaflexed) cut another hole for an additional rearward viewing camera, removal of this housing is difficult without damage or breakage. Going this route would also entail drilling van back panel and feeding cables to cab area. This would entail a lot of work internally to strip out fittings etc to feed cable through hence my thoughts of mounting camera lower and routing cables along chassis (several existing cable runs already along chassis so would be a straightforward job attaching to and following these)
    An additional monitor would be required so as not to lose the functionality of the fitted media unit (sat nav, radio etc ) hence the thought of fitting a mirror mounted unit as fitted by other manufacturers (Elddis etc)

8. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

I bought one of these as recommended on here.

I wired it via a fused switch on the dash so it works when parked up at night & whilst driving to check the bikes etc are all ok (for non drivers):D

Works really well very easy to set up with lots of camera / monitor options.
    I didn't use the wireless kit so could have done it cheaper(y) image.jpg
    The seller is yes4all on eBay
    Approx £50

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Really interested in the responses you get as I am \ was thinking of doing exactly the same.

Had the spare wheel cover panel off a week or two ago to have a look see. First thoughts were do I go for one of the bullet type cameras (like this http://ftp.rearviewcamerashop.com/ReversingcamerasUK/ccd-bullet-camera-with-sony-sensor.html), remove the Autotrail badge and fit it in the centre of the cover panel or go for a bracket type camera (like this http://ftp.rearviewcamerashop.com/R...-with-sharp-pal-sensor-white-body-cam062.html) bolted through the cover panel?

One of the issues \ questions I think I may have is as the cover panel is pretty flexible does it vibrate when travelling and could the impact the picture quality? Wife wasn't too happy when I said she'd be clinging on the back to check next time out!:eek:

Given that potential issue I've also started to think about a number plate mounted camera (like this http://ftp.rearviewcamerashop.com/ReversingcamerasUK/ccd-number-plate-camera-cam103.html). One benefit of this one, assuming it will not obscure the number plate lights, is that could potentially use the existing hole for the number plate lights for the camera cables or the hole would be through the valance panel only. A downside is, of course, it's even lower positioned than the cover panel.

Those examples I've included are just that, examples, as further investigation would be done once I've made up my mind.

Routing the cable along the chassis seems to be, as you say, straightforward. Have you given any thought as yet as to how you would route this through the floor and up to the mirror mounted monitor?:unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Yo Gellyneck and thanks for the input. Must admit had not thought of the possible problems re vibration if mounted on wheel cover. Have reservations about mounting low down just above number plate field of view will be very restricted. Still leaning toward rear wheel cover as high as possible with maybe a darkish small graphic around it to help it "blend"

11. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Update, went with the flush fitting camera in rear wheel cover and a clip on monitor. Finished this afternoon and well chuffed with the result. The camera and monitor were supplied by my dealer eventually after some bargaining for just less than £40. Could have purchased same/similar on Ebay for £30-£40 so dealer option was a no brainer in case of any problems ie warranties on camera and monitor. Combined 10m video and power cable purchased on Ebay. If anyone is interested will do a blow by blow account illustrated with photo's. Used a graphic to disguise the camera a bit.
    Photo 1 Rear wheel cover drilled ready to take camera
    Photo 2 Base of wheel cover scalloped out to accommodate cable
    Photo 3 Small sunflower graphic with camera in centre
    Photo 4 on/off switch I decided to take power from vehicle battery fused (2amp) and switched'

There is enough spare cable to allow dismounting of cover and access for removal of spare wheel. There are also connectors in housing which will allow complete disconnection of cables if required.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  13. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Like it!
    I must remember to have a prat with mine this weekend.
    It's a Ring camera & monitor and I'm sure that it only operates when the ignition is on and in reverse. Not sure that I can select to use it as a rear view without being in reverse.
    From memory, one of the buttons allows the image to be moved slightly.
    But having the facility to flick between a reverse or rear view would be great.
    So thanks for posting (and reposting) as this is now on my list!

14. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Looks a great job.(y)
    As said previously, have been considering similar but not had the time as yet (family illness). That and in process of converting the space under the travelling seats into drawers when I've got a spare minute.
    Looking at your photos I see the cabling is exiting through the scallop in the bottom of the wheel cover.
    How did you route it after that? Was it over the rear valance panel or, more likely, in through the top and behind it?
    How did you then route the cabling into the cab and up to your clip on monitor (mirror I assume)?
    Appreciate your advice.

15. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Good morning Gellyneck will do some photos and post tonight once home :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

As promised photos and info on my method of installing, lot of pics so will need to spread over a few posts. Cable routed as you guessed in through top of valance panel, hole diameter 14mm to allow rca plug to pass through. I started at the rear and allowed about 30 inches of spare so cover can be dismounted, obviously camera connectors are also in here to allow complete disconnection if cover needs to be moved away from vehicle. (The black strip is self adhesive draft remover to stop bottom of cover fretting on valance (as it was doing) The black rectangular patch again fitted after taking delivery of van is self adhesive velcro (the soft side, eyes is it called? which the tyre sits on again preventing fretting and discoloration.) See photo 1.
    Photo 2 Under the valance,I had to Araldite a piece of half round hardwood to prevent any cable chaffing on the sharp corner of the garage floor and also wrapped additional protective tape around cable.
    Photo 3 Used existing cable runs and p-clamps to route cable with small cable ties between.
    Photo 4 routed over fw tank (bit of a fiddle, stiff garden wire and perseverance is the answer. IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2652.JPG IMG_2653.JPG IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2652.JPG IMG_2653.JPG IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2652.JPG IMG_2653.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Cable then routed along side of grey water tank again following existing run, photo 1
    Photo 2 Remove small black cover next to floor mounted fusebox behind drivers seat
    Photo 3, had to drill into the cab floor (14mm using a step drill to accommodate plug diameter ) It is about 12-13mm in front of existing hole which is for inverter supply and alarm cabling. Again a fitted a split gromit to avoid cable chafe then used a non setting mastic IMG_2665.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2669.JPG IMG_2674.JPG
    over the entire area to keep the weather out. Sorry about this masking the 2 separate holes. This brings the cable into the small void space outboard of the small floor mounted fuse panel behind drivers seat.
    Photo 4 remove screws holding in place drivers side step this allows it to be lifted slightly gaining access to the clip in cable conduit carrying cables to dashboard and fit video cable into it.

18. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Photo 1 remove vertical trim (3 screws one on side near top out of sight!)
    Photo 2 I decided on the easy mounting option for isolating rocker switch after removing trim below steering wheel. This is held in place by a single torx screw (missing on my vehicle?)
    Photo 3 Once torx screw removed a firm pull at top either side unclips it and pivots on 3 bottom locating prongs (Photo 4) IMG_2675.JPG IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2678.JPG which allow it to be lifted out for access and drilling

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Routing the cable for the mirror mounted monitor was very easy and straightforward, unloosen one plastic screw in upper guide for windscreen internal blind, this allows cable to be pushed in above roof lining photo 1.
    Photo 2 cable can be routed and pushed in behind blind vertical trim.
    Photo 3 push cable down side of dash housing under rubber trim (I used end of a plastic ruler) then down and into exposed cavity allowing connection to camera power and rca plugs. The 12v supply I routed behind glove box following other cable and down under carpet into vehicle battery box, 2 amp inline fuse used and terminal crimps onto spare +ve and -ve battery post studs. I soldered pos and neg supply cables for camera and monitor together (insulated using shrink wrap ) pos after switch. (Terminal block could also be used) IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG IMG_2681.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

All fired up and a close up of the camera IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2683.JPG

• Like Like x 3