Rear view Camera power

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snitrats, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

For some time I have had the rear camera plugged into a lighter socket on my 2009 X250. So thought about time I plumbed it in properly . Couple of questions before I rip the dashboard apart.
    I understand the best live is from the ignition (camera on all the time)is there a spare connection there or do I double up with another? Where's the best place link the neutral ? :helpsos:

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

do you have a 12v power plug in the dash?

I have a cigarette plug and also a 12v plug in my dash.. certainly the 12v plug is live all the time and I can get to it and attack the power and earth there.. or even to the main fuse board for the RV.. but it is an RV rather than a european motor home.... but the principle is the same.. a good meter will allow you to probe the power and earth.. just add an inline fuse.

Bob

3. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I fitted one myself last year , I mounted the screen on the obsolete rear view mirror ,ie no rear window, ran the cable through the top lockers, fed a feed using clips from the cab lights, also a feed from there to a toggle switch otherwise it's powered up all the time , the lights are activated by ignition and the doors, so the toggle cuts the power to the screen and camera when not in use. Peter :thumb:

4. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Just done mine, and was very pleased to find that the CD/radio had a spare connector for an ignition live lead. Might be worth a look.

I simply plugged into that and hey presto - ignition on = camera on! Didn't bother with reverse wiring for the second camera, just tap the V2 button on the screen and Bob's your uncle.

Steve:Smile:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you can use a multimeter then check the cab fuse box for ign switched circuits...there will be one, just a matter of finding it.

put the meter on a 'dead' fuse (ign off) and check it is ign switched by turning ign on and off with the meter connected.

there may even be a spare 10a fuse in the box....or whatever fuse rating the monitor requires.

a spare 20a fuse could be reduced to whatever amps the monitor is rated at.....providing it has nothing else connected to it.

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Fiat X250?
    No need for a reverse camera!
    You don't want to be reversing one of them!:Wink:

Sorry, as a Tranny owner, I couldn't resist!:Blush:

7. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Camera used to check the toad is still there on the A Frame so can't reverse with that on if I tried:thumb:

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

In that case save yer dosh, the car behind the toad will let you know if it comes off

• Like Like x 3
  9. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Really Jon!!!!!

10. aba

aba

i just tagged mine on the back of the accessory socket on the dash as its easy to get at and ignition switched.

there is a torx head screw under the rubber mat in the cup holder and i think thats all that holds that part of the dash in apart from a few clips.