Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For some time I have had the rear camera plugged into a lighter socket on my 2009 X250. So thought about time I plumbed it in properly . Couple of questions before I rip the dashboard apart.
I understand the best live is from the ignition (camera on all the time)is there a spare connection there or do I double up with another? Where's the best place link the neutral ? :helpsos:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do you have a 12v power plug in the dash?

For some time I have had the rear camera plugged into a lighter socket on my 2009 X250. So thought about time I plumbed it in properly . Couple of questions before I rip the dashboard apart.
I understand the best live is from the ignition (camera on all the time)is there a spare connection there or do I double up with another? Where's the best place link the neutral ? :helpsos:

I have a cigarette plug and also a 12v plug in my dash.. certainly the 12v plug is live all the time and I can get to it and attack the power and earth there.. or even to the main fuse board for the RV.. but it is an RV rather than a european motor home.... but the principle is the same.. a good meter will allow you to probe the power and earth.. just add an inline fuse.

Bob

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I fitted one myself last year , I mounted the screen on the obsolete rear view mirror ,ie no rear window, ran the cable through the top lockers, fed a feed using clips from the cab lights, also a feed from there to a toggle switch otherwise it's powered up all the time , the lights are activated by ignition and the doors, so the toggle cuts the power to the screen and camera when not in use. Peter :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Just done mine, and was very pleased to find that the CD/radio had a spare connector for an ignition live lead. Might be worth a look.

I simply plugged into that and hey presto - ignition on = camera on! Didn't bother with reverse wiring for the second camera, just tap the V2 button on the screen and Bob's your uncle.

Steve:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you can use a multimeter then check the cab fuse box for ign switched circuits...there will be one, just a matter of finding it.

put the meter on a 'dead' fuse (ign off) and check it is ign switched by turning ign on and off with the meter connected.

there may even be a spare 10a fuse in the box....or whatever fuse rating the monitor requires.

a spare 20a fuse could be reduced to whatever amps the monitor is rated at.....providing it has nothing else connected to it.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Fiat X250?
No need for a reverse camera!
You don't want to be reversing one of them!:winky:

Sorry, as a Tranny owner, I couldn't resist!:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geoffers

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Fiat X250?
No need for a reverse camera!
You don't want to be reversing one of them!:winky:

Sorry, as a Tranny owner, I couldn't resist!:Blush:

Camera used to check the toad is still there on the A Frame so can't reverse with that on if I tried:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Camera used to check the toad is still there on the A Frame so can't reverse with that on if I tried:thumb:

In that case save yer dosh, the car behind the toad will let you know if it comes off

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i just tagged mine on the back of the accessory socket on the dash as its easy to get at and ignition switched.

there is a torx head screw under the rubber mat in the cup holder and i think thats all that holds that part of the dash in apart from a few clips.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back