Rear View Camera Legal in Europe (1 Viewer)

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Hi Funsters, we are finalising the specs and the fun bits for a new camper being built for us in Italy and have been offered just a single camera unit for reversing only.

I have asked for one with full time rear view and probably with two cameras however the dealer has said that it is illegal to have a rear facing camera live while driving over there? We will have zero vision out the back so it doesn't make sense to not be allowed a driving aid such as this. Ideally for us the display would replace the rear vision mirror as it is effectively redundant.

Does anyone have any information on the laws in continental Europe regarding this?

Note that the unit being offered has some type of remote control which I presume allows you to pan the camera up and down to see either the back of the van or the view down the road. Has anyone had something similar to this and how does it function in practice.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's having a screen visible to the driver active whilst moving that's the issue in some countries rather than the camera itself being live.

It shouldn't be a problem though, unless you're reversing why do you need to see what's directly behind you? You should be able to see all you need using the side mirrors.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I believe it is not the screen ( as all new Ferrari's have a screen with the rear view on it on the consul, and GPS units are pretty common ) but there must be no user buttons that control the screen in a position that can be reached by the driver
Like in Spain that effectively outlawed GPS use.. And they had to change the law !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
I believe it is not the screen ( as all new Ferrari's have a screen with the rear view on it on the consul, and GPS units are pretty common ) but there must be no user buttons that control the screen in a position that can be reached by the driver
Like in Spain that effectively outlawed GPS use.. And they had to change the law !

Wow, I didn't know Ferrari made motorhomes ;) they must be a lot of fun to drive!!! That law would count out so many devices. I can understand not being able to operate while driving but to not have an user controls within reach is a bit over the top. Do you know where to find specific information on that and is that in the UK as well?

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
As I understand it, there is some confusion, especially in Germany and Austria where "Privacy" concerns make the use of video RECORDING dubious - as in it may infringe on someone's privacy if used for "monitoring behaviour"! In this scenario, a recording of another person doing wrong is not admissible as evidence, and may put the recorder in jeopardy of prosecution. However, my understanding is also that if the recording is made for "entertainment" purposes (i.e. a journey log) then all is forgiven :D I cannot imagine that everyone brandishing a camcorder or mobile phone would be contravening "privacy" concerns, unless they were "targetting" someone.
I have had no qualms driving throughout Europe with my twin rear camera setup showing rear view whilst travelling.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Beware - pedant mode

Most people would define a camera as "a device for recording visual images in the form of photographs, film, or video signals"

thus the device that is fitted to my MH allowing me to look behind me (in the absence of a rear view mirror) is not a camera but how should I describe it?

It shouldn't be a problem though, unless you're reversing why do you need to see what's directly behind you? You should be able to see all you need using the side mirrors.

Here in France one of the national sports is for drivers to position their vehicles so close to the one in front as to not be visible in mirrors.

Also from time to time I like to make sure that the stuff on my bike carrier is still there.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wow, I didn't know Ferrari made motorhomes ;) they must be a lot of fun to drive!!! That law would count out so many devices. I can understand not being able to operate while driving but to not have an user controls within reach is a bit over the top. Do you know where to find specific information on that and is that in the UK as well?
Yes.. Uses and construction regulations.. But if you think I am wading through it all you are out of luck.. please feel free to do it your self and report back though :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I leave our rear camera (single lens) on when driving on busy roads.
It's good for seeing those cars that feel the need to be inches from my rear and for checking when you are clear of vehicles that you are overtaking.
It was factory fitted in Slovenia to a German owned brand.

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The link CH gives has very little info apart for saying it's wireless which I wouldn't recommend for a Motorhome it would be much better to have a wired system installed. Wireless systems are prone to interfearance particularly in long vehicles.

What does the remote control do? If it just alters the camera angle it won't be much good as a rear view camera if it is a wide ange lens for reversing, likewise if it is a narrower angle for rear view won't be much good for reversing. For that to work you would need to move the camera angle and have a zoom lens, I've not seen any like that.

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
The link CH gives has very little info apart for saying it's wireless which I wouldn't recommend for a Motorhome it would be much better to have a wired system installed. Wireless systems are prone to interfearance particularly in long vehicles.

What does the remote control do? If it just alters the camera angle it won't be much good as a rear view camera if it is a wide ange lens for reversing, likewise if it is a narrower angle for rear view won't be much good for reversing. For that to work you would need to move the camera angle and have a zoom lens, I've not seen any like that.

Thanks Lenny, I think it does just change the angle of the camera so will be a compromise to try to use one camera for reversing and rear view. I might try and get one in England and have it sent to the installers. Anyone had good/bad experience with the units from this crowd? Not keen on paying the Waeco prices.
http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/...4_shop/Products/HD706/SubProducts/HD706B12.5m

or

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We have twin rear cameras on our big trailer, connected wirelessly to a dashboard monitor.

They are purely for viewing directly behind us and we use one or the other depending on which side of the road we are driving on.

We get very good coverage from the wireless link, about 60ft when stationary and when moving we have no issues.

The cameras are switched by cable/socket selection inside the front of the trailer, the trailer is 6.2m long. The distance between transmitter and receiver is about 10ft.

Peter

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny, I think it does just change the angle of the camera so will be a compromise to try to use one camera for reversing and rear view. I might try and get one in England and have it sent to the installers. Anyone had good/bad experience with the units from this crowd? Not keen on paying the Waeco prices.
http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/...4_shop/Products/HD706/SubProducts/HD706B12.5m

or
Very good products from them, used this one on current & last van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back