Rear seatbelts - Motorhomes

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by The Poor Relations, Oct 21, 2007.

1. The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations Read Only Funster

Hi

Ok, we went out again today looking at motorhomes, and have ended up with more questions about seatbelts in the rear and young children

We have noticed with the older morothomes that on a lot of the layouts there are no proper seatbelts

Where do we stand on this legally with a 4 year old and lap belts etc and lack of rear belts???????

HELP!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There's a very good article, with links to relevant legislation, on the UK Motorhomes web site Here.

Graham

3. gillr49

gillr49 Read Only Funster

I believe if there are no seatbelts then you are fine, but if seat belts are fitted and you dont use them you are, I'm sure someone will know definitely.

When we bought our van it was a priority, if we bought one without rear belts and anything happened to our grand daughter we would never forgive ourselves.

:Smile::Smile:

4. The Poor Relations

that's it great

Thanks GJH and gillr49

so looks like we are gonna have to make sure we get a proper rear belt for little man, wouldn't really have gone for one without. But this now makes it more expensive as it only seems to be the newer ones that have the rear seat belts

Going to have to save harder me thinks!

5. kands

kands Read Only Funster

Hi Debbie
    It is possible to buy an older MH (like that Hymer....) and if nessessary have seat belts retro fitted. That would be cheaper than buying a newer MH I'm sure....
    You need a course in MH buying :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Keith

6. The Poor Relations

Keith

I think you are right. we are going round in circles, we know what we like but they are all out of our range

I wouldn't mind Sammclois, that would be ideal for us, anyone gone a spare 16K ???

We packed away our folding camper today until next year, absolutely gutted, we really have the camping bug, hate the thought of that being it till next spring

:Sad::Sad:

7. kands

kands Read Only Funster

You don't need to spend anything like £16K on a MH to get something decent and reliable Debbie, at the moment I have seen a few starting around £5-7K that would be a great start on the ladder, and you shouldn't lose money on a MH at those prices. Instead of putting your camper away for the winter, why not sell it on and then you will have some cash to spend on a MH :BigGrin:

Keith

8. The Poor Relations

Keith

All that you say makes sense. but to get the best price for our folding camper we will have to sell in season with it being canvas. This time of the year we will really struggle to sell it for anything near what we paid for it, bearing in mind we have had it only 2 months, meeting you guys at Wisbech has a lot to answer for!!!!! we are hooked

We have looked at about 50-60 MH in the last 2 days in dealers to get an idea of where we like, and I have to say the state of some of them has been shocking

Paul is not mechanically minded at all, now give him electrics and he is fine, but an engine !!!! no chance

Every time we have found one that we even thought we may like we have looked in the window price and the first figure has been a 2 or even a 3. Measured the drive and 20ft is our max, so at least we have got that far

Expensive tastes I think we have :Rofl1:

9. sammclouis

sammclouis Account Deactivated

hey deb!!

so deb you are coming round to the idea of a motorhome eh!! you wont regret it...but with regards to seatbelts as far as im aware you only need to use them if fitted..although i would want inertia belts fitted for my 4 year old sitting in the back...just much safer in my opinion..hope you have luck finding what you are looking for...sammy x

10. The Poor Relations

thanks Sammy

Yes I think we are hooked, don't want to trade yours that is up for sale for a folding camper and a nissan micra, and lets see what else do I have I can throw in........................ 3 cats and 2 fish?

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. kands

kands Read Only Funster

Hi Debs
    A quick scan produced THIS

Or THIS

Or THIS

Or maybe THIS

Hope this helps.....

Keith

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Depends what you mean by newer. Our 2003/4 model Elddis Autoquest 100 has four inertia reel seatbelts in total and (thinking of another of your posts) is only about 18 feet long. I don't know when Elddis started producing that model but I suppose you might find an earlier one if 2003/4 is too new.

Graham

13. JayDee

JayDee Funster

I know you have put a lot of thought and effort into this, but I just entered 'Camper van £15000' in Google, UK search and it came up with a site that included this...

http://www.gumtree.com/london/09/12844609.html

I know it may not be at all suitable, but, as has already been mentioned, you can get stuff for a lot less than 20grand if you are prepared to limit your 'wish list'. Hard I know :Nowink:

John

14. sammclouis

sammclouis Account Deactivated

hhee hhee deb i think you got a deal there on 3 cats....BUT 4 FISH!!!!!...sammx

15. The Poor Relations

thanks Sammy

off to go raid our neighbours pond for two more fish as soon as it gets light :Rofl1:

16. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

WHy not buy aftermarket seatbelt kits for a cheaper motorhome ?

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I can recall fitting rear seat belts to a Vauxhall Cavalier using after market kits about 20 years ago.

However, the problem with that approach is that the appropriate mounting structure has to be in place - and few, if any, motorhomes have such structures unless they also have the belts fitted.

Graham

18. The Poor Relations

no worries

We are going to save and save and save like mad so we can afford a 'newer' one that has seatbelts in already, our son's safety is paramount!

we WILL one day turn up at a meet with a MOTORHOME!..... promise

19. Suzy

Suzy Funster

What make/model of motorhome are you interested in have you got a favourite?

20. The Poor Relations

nope, no idea to be honest, if we want it on the drive then it has to be no bigger than20foot! and that is pushing it.

Paul really wants an RV, but then we have to find storage and I have no idea how much that would cost

The one that Sammy has up for sale would do me fine personally, or the bigger one that Ray has for sale is lovely (though way out of our budget)

Need to find a buyer for the folding camper and we would be sorted, as we have some money saved, but this time of the year will be really hard to sell it