bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi dont know if this has been asked before so here goes,

When carrying passengers in the rear of a motorhome, once the seat belts if fitted, are all used up, how many more people can you take?. I thought if they are sat side on or facing the back then there is no limit as long as they are sat but is this right.
All advice welcome.
Cheers
Bigfish.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You can carry exactly as many people as there are seatbelts, and that is the absolute maxium you are allowed legally !!!

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

What are you basing that on Sedge. do you know where the legislation is?

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Although current seat belt wearing regulations do not prohibit carrying more passengers in vehicles than there are seat belts available, the police may prosecute drivers for carrying passengers in a manner that may injure someone.
We would advise that no-one should be carried in any unbelted seat in the rear of a motorhome.

More information here with links to the legislation

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs.shtml

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can carry exactly as many people as there are seatbelts, and that is the absolute maxium you are allowed legally !!!
Sorry to say this Sedge but you are clearly wrong :Eeek: Seatbelt laws change in 2007 (ish) Vans made Previous to this could carry any amount of passengers in side facing seat without belts :Eeek::Eeek: Vans made After 2007/08 have to comply with the current legislation :thumb:
terry

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Your V5 will record how many passengers your vehicle is to registered to carry. If your not happy with this you should (imo) contact the DVLA and query it with them. What the law says is confused.com, to me anyway.

Jim:Smile:

silverbike

Free Member
May 13, 2008
Funster No
I doubt if your insurance company would look kindly on a claim for injury to an unbelted passenger!

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Your V5 will record how many passengers your vehicle is to registered to carry. If your not happy with this you should (imo) contact the DVLA and query it with them. What the law says is confused.com, to me anyway.

Jim:Smile:

I thgink this is a sensible thing to do. We were registered to seat 4 people but wanted to seat 5. We added an additional seat with full seatbelt and the Dvla changed the V5. Insurance company was happy with this.
Violet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back