Rear lounge - disadvantages?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Touchwood, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

I'm preparing a list of preferences for my planned purchase of a motorhome, and at the moment a contender for the list is that the sitting area should be at the rear of the cabin - this seems to me to create a much better and more comfortable interior than a centre lounge with galley/shower etc. at the rear.

In fact, it seems so preferable that I can't help wondering why anyone would elect a different layout - each to his own of course, but are there any advantages/disadvantages that I may be missing?

• Like Like x 1
  2. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Like you we thought the rear lounge would be the best layout but we have a daughter who is 14 and wouldn't be able to travel with us if it was only a rear lounge due to seat belts. I see you are semi retired so think who you will be taken in the motorhome do you have children or grandchildren that will be with you sometimes, or even friends i know they can sit there depending on age of mh (someone else will be along to tell you im sure) but would you fancy sitting in the rear with no seatbelt.

Good luck and look at loads before you buy maybe a rear lounge with front dinette would suit you.

3. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Thanks Gerry - and a very good point. We will very probably be taking our granddaughter with us in the future, and she will also be going with my son and his wife when they borrow it. I hadn't realised that a rear lounge wouldn't have seat belts - presumably because the seats are side facing?

The rear lounge/front dinette (presumably with seat belts in the dinette?) sounds interesting, but also sounds as though only feasible in a larger model than the four berth we're aiming for. Any examples?

4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

"u" lounge as it's called are very popular and found more in British vans..
    Works well for us and had several vans with this layout.
    Our preference is vans with the "U" lounge and also the front dinette area. Gives us lots of space when just 2 of us are in the van, I can lounge about in the back and leave the wife all the space to cook my dinner and then call me to the table...:Rofl1:
    Seriously, Rear longe and front dinnette is very flexible. Especially for family use and taking kids / grandkids away.
    There will be seat belts in the dinette area, most have 2 front facing and some newer vans do have belts on the rear facing seats.

One nice aspect is that sitting at the back with windows on all 3 sides you dont feel so enclosed, especially on poor weather days. At least you have lots to look out at..

Autotrail apache 700 - Autotrail scout - Eldiss EB ?? - Suntor 630 probably lots of others..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  5. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi
    You dont need to go for a big mh for that i cant think of any off hand but we have seen loads like that where the drivers and passengers seat swivel round to make up the dinette. Im sure you will be able to get on under 6.5m dont know what size you are looking for. When we were looking for ours we found a rear lounge and loved it but then someone pointed out about seat belts, they can be fitted to side facing seats but not recommended, but we didnt just want to have the normal dinning area to sit at so we got one with a long sofa at the side of the dinette. Some people may tell you that its fine to put kids in back but i wouldn't let you take mine with no seatbelts. Ours is an elddis autoquest 130. Dont know where your from but couple of big shows comming up even if your not buying new it will give you a chance to look at loads of vans in one day. There is one at lincoln end of september and one at the nec in oct which will have loads of vans.

Hope this helps a bit and feel free to ask any questions

6. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

One of the things I like is a really big garage with massive storage......My Autotrail has this with a fixed bed double bed over it ...and another double bed at the front
    behind the drivers seats made up to two sofas that slide together.

I love the idea that we both have a double bed each....and no crawling over each other to get to the loo in the middle of the night...and Its only ever the two of us in the motorhome.

But I guess the reason that there are so many layouts is that we all have different priorities.

barry

• Like Like x 2
  7. Douzeper

Douzeper Funster

I had my heart set on a U Shaped lounge. Under no circumstances was I looking at anything else. Then when I seen one with a garage I completely changed my mind, it suited us much better. Two ready made double beds, above cab and above garage and another small double if needed. Two 125 CC Scooters in the boot and all the clutter in there as well :) - beer storage at optimum. Toilet in the middle so that I am not disturbing anyone for the Carlsberg runs during the night.

8. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Having a superking bed at home was part of the reason we opted for the rear U shaped lounge. We make up the bed and sleep along the length of the van as opposed to transverse. This way we do not have to crawl over each other when getting up. The front dinnette also gave us the required seatbelts for our grandchildren.
    Make sure you fully research your requirements before purchasing. Apart from a house this could be one of your most expensive purchases.:thumb:

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I think a lot depends on whether you tend to be 'outdoor types' or 'indoor types'. Also, the balance of use in the UK, particularly in winter, versus overseas / longer trips in better weather. If you feel the need to maximise lounging space, then I can see the attraction of the rear U-lounge. For our part, we tend to be outside the motorhome a lot, even in winter, and therefore prioritised the storage space of the rear garage and the availability of a ready made bedroom area. Also, an A-class gives the benefit of a large lounging space at the front since there is no narrower cab area.
    I have sometimes lusted after a 2003-5 Hymer S-class 650 which has a pull-down double bed at the front and uses the back third of the van for washing and cooking. It has loads of forward / central lounging space for two, but I think we would struggle for storage space. The ability to load our present garage with loungers, chairs, table, barbecue, hose reel, bikes, backpacks, toolkit, spare wheel, etc., etc., is just so useful - particularly on longer trips.

10. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

For me the garage is to usefull, big bed above would not have any other Gray.

11. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Our "perfect" layout was the fixed bed at the rear with wet room beside and half dinette (front seats swivel to make 4 seat dinette).....then we saw the Hymer......huge rear lounge with huge Garage underneath.

12. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

rear lounge

Hi Touchwood. We have a 120 compass avant-garde low profile with rear lounge. It suits us very well and the bed is 6 foot 10 inches long and 4 foot 6 inches wide across the back of the lounge.. You can even have breakfast in bed if you are lucky and not block the galley.. It is also great for people and scenery watching. The 2ft heki roof light is above the bed giving nice fresh air during the night. It puts most of the storage at the back of the van (under the lounge seats) and makes the van nicely balanced. Can't think of any negatives really.
    Hope this helps. When you go to look at vans, don't rush, put the bed up and really give everything the once over, then keep looking until you are quite sure.Wishing you lots of luck and then FUN....... Mitch and Jenny.. PS. of to France next Tuesday in ours to Brittany for............. don't know how long... Luverly. PS only 2 of us and we are both 5foot 6 inches.

13. Swift

Swift

Rear lounge and Fiamma Ultra 3 top box, perfect combination :thumb:

I do not see the need to carry round a fully made up bed 24/7, not even a bed delivery truck does that :Rofl1:

Maybe OK for the old over 50 Saga type, but then they need things made simple as your brain starts shrinking then and making up a bed can be daunting and confusing :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

I have an Autotrail 634U with the U shaped rear lounge.

If your question was only about getting a rear lounge or not then I would thoroughly recommend one, as the space is ideal for lounging or entertaining. Plus, you get a massive comfortable bed if you choose not to use an over cab bed if fitted.

As has been pointed out, carrying extra passengers is not a safe option, so would generally make this layout not suitable for families who travel together.

As size of van seems to be an important consideration for you, I feel that trying to achieve a U shaped lounge and dinette in less that 6.5 meters is a big ask, as more compromises need to be made. This normally results in a U shaped lounge with seats of 4 foot long, rather than 6 foot and I believe this negates one of the major benefits.

Horses for courses as usual, but good luck in your search.

15. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

That'll be me you're talking about........:BigGrin:

16. Swift

Swift

The old folk over 50 need an afternoon kip, so handy for them, I have a u shaped lounge so off outside for a kip on my Lafuma XL full bed chair :Rofl1:

17. Douzeper

Douzeper Funster

This is why everyone is different.

I would say a U-Shaped lounge would be more for the over 50 saga type (whatever that is), as they would tend to sit in their MH more. Whereas a ready made bed for the younger MH'er is better as they have been out all day, jetskiing, boarding, rock climbing, bungee jumping, absailing, wind surfing - and all of that equipment fits in the garage. :BigGrin:

Outdoorsy and indoorsy.

18. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I have a u shaped lounge Swift Kontiki and as far as I am concerned it gives you more choice.
    If holidaying in a hot country (Spain or similar) you can make the u shaped lounge into a very large comfy bed and live outdoors most of the time. Or if holidaying in England with our beautiful weather:BigGrin: you can use the U shape lounge as a lounge to chill out in.
    More Choice, even if you are under 50:Smile: or over 50.
    Age is just a number as we all know.:Wink:

Lesley

19. keith

keith Funster

Having read all the previous posts you will now realise all MHomers are different and that's why the converters have so many different models. They try to please everyone hoping you will get it wrong and come back to change it for a different model. :Doh:

Or am I being too sceptical. :Wink:

20. N&K

N&K

we love our U shaped rear lounge. There is more space to walk around in a non fixed bed Motorhome, which is good for the UK where the weathers not always great. Also the lounge allows us both to lay full length (like laying on a sofa at home) and watch tv , nice and relaxing. I dont see the attractions of captains chairs, drive then turn the seat 180 degrees and it in your drivers seat all evening too , :Rofl1:, not for me. But.... as mentioned, we're all different and thats what makes the world go round :Smile: