rear lights

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by ukbill, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ukbill

ukbill Funster

help please my rear lights on the mh aint working if i turn them on they come on for around 2 seconds then go off my break and flashers still work ok i have no column fuses which the manual says are optional it seems like the click for the lights coming on is in the habitat box but all the fues in there are also ok didnt realize they wasnt working till someone flashed me like a maniac last night and i didnt bother to stop lol
    my mh is a carioca 694

2. simbadog

simbadog Funster

If they come on for a couple of seconds & then go out I would suspect a bad earth connection? possibly ????

3. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Had exactly the same problem on my Hymer - as suggested it was the earth wire at the rear of the vehicle which is subject to all the rubbish thrown up from the rear wheels in the wet. Cleaned all rear light earths, protected the area with grease and also put protective 'flaps' around that area using builders damp proof membrane - no problems since.

Mike

4. ukbill

ukbill Funster

thx i will try that now will let ya know the outcome

5. ukbill

ukbill Funster

cleaned everything but still the same ?

6. ukbill

ukbill Funster

the grandsons are swimming and having fun so i will sit down with a few jd's and contemplate what i will try next watch the news for the disaster lol

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Have a look along the chassis starting at the back, there may be a plastic waterproof joint box which connects the original rear light wiring and the converters wiring.
    Remove the cover and check wiring connections......maybe the box wasnt as waterproof as it could be.

Both rear lights will probably be supplied by just one wire....unless its a canbus system.

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am going to be no help at here, so apologies, my technical knowledge is pretty much zip

I am joining in because I am intrigued by why they would come on and then go off, I would have done like you gone for a fuse, but logically the fuse must be OK for them to work at all

Confused but intrigued (y)

9. ukbill

ukbill Funster

david like i said there is no fuse that i can see i can hear a click in my habitat box of fuses and gizmo's but thats all ok was to rat arsed yesterday to do anything and its bloody raining today so will check suggestions l8er

10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

There is a relay that controls the lights. If the contacts are pitted inside, or the current isn't holding the magnet in place, then it will come off. It should be a small box relay, pull out, with four uneven spade terminals on it's base. Cheap enough. (if it is that)....(y)

11. ukbill

ukbill Funster

thanks but where will i find the relay please

12. tonytange

tonytange

Hi bill you don't say if the dashlights or front side lights play the same game when you turn on, the cause is possibly the ecu detecting an overload so turns off the circuit it may be as simple as a bulb remove all the main lightbulbs try the lights if it works replace each one until fault reapers bin the bulb that causes the fault if the problem still shuts down with no main bulbs in check for damage to any light which is connected to sidelights for damage or faulty bulbs do not forget list in lockers etc
    Hope this is of some help
    Tony

13. ukbill

ukbill Funster

thx tony its just the rear lights brakes and indicators all ok i will check all bulbs but will have to wait till tomorrow at the moment its hammering it down here still the grandsons in their truly mental state have still gone swimming so some peace and quiet for a while

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

What tony means is generally front sides, dash lights and rear lights are all on one circuit...brakes and indicators have their own respective circuits.

If it is ONLY the rear sidelights at fault and the fronts/dash work then its a wiring fault/bad earth to the rear lights.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ukbill

ukbill Funster

sorry it took so long to answer u but you was right it was a earth cable on viewing the cabling under the van its a shambles and it looks like it was like that when built bloody wasters still all ok now my neighbor found the break in the earth and has now rewired my lights for me using better connectors
    so thanks all for your help

• Like Like x 1
  16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Glad you got it fixed. The problem is with a coachbuilt is that before it had the body fitted it was a running chassis with lights fitted. When the builders get it they remove the original lights and extend the wiring from the wiring loom that the chassis manufacturers have installed and that's where the problems may start allowing water into the joints.

17. ukbill

ukbill Funster

yeah i know the fuses for all the other lights but there is none for the rear lights and the front side lights they are all controlled from the leisure unit bloody madness