Rear Ladder

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SandT, Jun 18, 2015.

1. SandT

SandT Funster

Wife is worried that the rear ladder on my RV will tempt illegals to try to climb on the roof when we enter Calais.
    I'm worried that the weight of two of them trying could pull the mountings off the RV OR damage the roof.

So I'm looking for suggestions (that don't involve removing the ladder) for making it climb proof!

Terry

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

On building sites they use a plank bolted to the treads that effectively removes places to put your feet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rapido convert

rapido convert

Wire the ladder up to your inverter, its a fairly simple job to do and would be very effective, i would suggest at least a 3000w inverter though :)
    Hope this helps
    Andy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Think about it from a different angle....... The ladder allows you to check if there is anyone on the roof.
    Reminds me of our last trip when, having checked for visitors at Calais Wine, then at again at the the Ferry check in lines, I decided to check again when we got onto the ferry by asking the driver of a huge German bus who was parked behind me. His passengers had a view along our roof, so I asked could get on the bus to check rather than climb the ladder again. There was something lost in translation & I got some rather bemused looks from them all!

6. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

To be honest, from what I've seen, they try to go for locations that are hidden, ie underneath the van on top of the axle. On the roof they'd be plainly visible on the cctv screens at check in.
    I would suggest that you are pretty safe with the roof ladder.

7. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

I wish my van didn't have a ladder, but it does, and taking it off would leave whacking great holes in the bodywork. I'm not worried about illegal immigrants, I just worry about:-

• Little scrotes anywhere climbing up there and damaging the roof
    • Leaving the rooflights open when it's hot - it wouldn't exactly be hard to break in through them, but with no ladder you'd really struggle to get onto the roof.
    The ladder guards that are available won't stop anyone who's determined to get up there and is agile.

I wouldn't worry about unwanted passengers though, they'll be looking for hidden places to ride, far too exposed on a MH roof.

8. westy77

westy77 Funster

As you drive through get the Mrs to pop out the roof light with an air rifle.

• Like Like x 4