Rear bumber repair

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bobble, Mar 16, 2010.

1. bobble

bobble Read Only Funster

After 10 years of using the rear bumber as a reversing aid ( ie when I feel it touch something I know i'm close ) I think it's time for repair/replacement.
    Has anyone bought a replacement or had one fitted, or perhaps had a repair done by a fibreglass repairer. Iv'e seen a bumber repair kit for sale at Halfords , has anyone ever used one ?
    It's a McLouis 432 registered in 2000 .
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi Bobble.

I have always done all my Fibre glass repairs.

It really isn't too difficult.

Attended a seminar/training course done by a Lotus Engineer and bought a couple of books You do need a warm clean workplace.:thumb:

Steve

3. camper69

camper69 Read Only Funster

I redesigned my rear bumper while on holiday in Denmark a couple of years ago. The German that had parked behind me took it in his stride when he realised that his car was not damaged and my bumper was a mess.:Smile:

I ordered a new one from Elnagh for approx £320 after a £130 paint job I put it on in a couple of hours.

Makes the van look better than it was before as the previous owner has tried his own redesign on it.

Derek

Ps forgot to say that mine is a 2000 registration and they actually had a new one in stock

4. blade1889

blade1889 Read Only Funster

Rear bumper repair

Hi Bobble

I managed to totally crack both corners in the same incident in France last year.
    Tried a Burstner dealer who quoted me around £800 for new one inc fitting.
    Didn't like the price so had it fibre glassed & painted cost £250. Cant see the join, good as new.

5. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

If the bumper is just cracked or you have the all the bits it can easily be repaired.

There is a technique very similar to metal welding and the repair is stronger than the original.

I was able to remove the rear bumper and take it to a local workshop.

The repair was virtually invisible and the repaint was an exact match even though there was no official colour reference.

Cost about £200........damned treacherous French trees!:Sad: