Real or not so benefits ---motorhome choice (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Another likely stupid question-but what do you expect from an old novice!
Living as we do close to the Elddis production plant in the North East, would it be considered wise and a real benefit to choose Elddis or would it make no real difference at all?
Secondly if I'm allowed and acceptable to ask on here where does this manufacturer appear on the MH League table?
Look forward to your helpful responses
Ian:thumb::thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Many slate them as 'budget'

Personally - I have used them for hire, so they took some use! Nothing broke apart from the silly plastic check strap on the loo door. The interior is unmarked, slight wear on driver seat cover on the old one.

Comfort is very good - especially on early 2000's models (all motorhome manufacturer cut quality onlater ones) Very comfortable, and hard wearing - the design of our 2001 model is still used today, including the seat fabric - so you could say they think ahead/ageless whichever you prefer.

They continually win awards for design etc every year, and I beleive have done so again this year for the 7th running year.

There are alot worse on the market! End kitchen models hold their value very well - around 2-3k more than other layouts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Many slate them as 'budget'

Personally - I have used them for hire, so they took some use! Nothing broke apart from the silly plastic check strap on the loo door. The interior is unmarked, slight wear on driver seat cover on the old one.

Comfort is very good - especially on early 2000's models (all motorhome manufacturer cut quality onlater ones) Very comfortable, and hard wearing - the design of our 2001 model is still used today, including the seat fabric - so you could say they think ahead/ageless whichever you prefer.

They continually win awards for design etc every year, and I beleive have done so again this year for the 7th running year.

There are alot worse on the market! End kitchen models hold their value very well - around 2-3k more than other layouts.

Thank you very much for that very informative useful reply
Ian

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We had an Elddis 130 for 4 years and loved it never had any problems with it and thought it was real value for money. I can understand why it's classed as a budget van but I'd defo recommend them to anyone, we only changed as our needs have changed.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our first van was an Elddis Autoquest 100 which we bought in June 2006 and had until it was smashed by Mr Asda in December 2011. I endorse what others have said about them.

However, proximity to the manufacturer isn't a factor I would give high priority to, whereas proximity to the dealer (with whom you have the contract) could be important for warranty (and, possibly, servicing) matters.

Perhaps the main factor is that the layout/features of the van provide what you (never mind anyone else) require.

As you are in the north east I would thoroughly recommend checking what is on offer at Camper NE on Portobello estate at Birtley. We bought our Burstner there 15 months ago and found them very good to deal with both before and after the sale.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our first van was an Elddis Autoquest 100 which we bought in June 2006 and had until it was smashed by Mr Asda in December 2011. I endorse what others have said about them.

However, proximity to the manufacturer isn't a factor I would give high priority to, whereas proximity to the dealer (with whom you have the contract) could be important for warranty (and, possibly, servicing) matters.

Perhaps the main factor is that the layout/features of the van provide what you (never mind anyone else) require.

As you are in the north east I would thoroughly recommend checking what is on offer at Camper NE on Portobello estate at Birtley. We bought our Burstner there 15 months ago and found them very good to deal with both before and after the sale.

Thank you for your advice and information which we'll certainly take forward-wondered too if a close proximity dealer to the factory would be a real advantage given the publicity they would get if their customer was not up to the mark service
Ian

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Eldiss are considered Budget buys simply because they are at the lower end of the price range :thumb: Nothing much wrong with them, but they have not altered much (body shape) for a god few years.The newer shaped ones (nice) are what I would say in the mid range price rather than the top price vans.They don't produce any top priced vans but lots of makers produce budget vans and ask top money ::bigsmile:They hold prices well enough -I know of a few 50/60k vans that sell for 35k after a year :Eeek: that's almost the price of a new budget Eldiss after a year :Eeek: :winky:::bigsmile:Remember 20 % of 100k is 20k where 20 % of say 30k is only 6k -they all loose money (with a few exceptions ie some self bulids ::bigsmile::winky:) they all have beds cookers loo/showers and heaters -- Never really hear of many complaints from budget vans -who knows perhaps the owners don't expect too much, where a van costing 60-70k you would expect to be perfect ::bigsmile: and god knows what I would expect from a 100k plus van :Eeek:if ever I win the lottery :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have had an Elddis Autoquest 180 for over 2 years now, we bought it new because it was our first van and didn't want one that had been used before. We looked at others, but in the end went for the 180, we've enjoyed plenty space in the 6 berth for only the two of us.

We have been pleased with the finish of the interior, but now a couple of years on we are looking to change ours, mainly because we would like a change of layout. OH would like two side settees, because she likes to stretch out, and a separate shower (because we always need to dry the floor before anyone can use the loo). With a separate cubicle, it's not so urgent. We are fortunate that we can use our 180 and keep the bed down because it's just us two.

We have used the overcab bed only once when our daughter stayed overnight when we were away. Plenty space for her, she is 25 and around 6 feet tall, so no problems there, but we use it for storing just about everything and would be lost without it.

Many people "slate" the Elddis range, for one reason or another, but we have been very happy with ours. When you go to check out a potential purchase, just make sure you "try" sitting on everything (including the loo) to see how you get on with the layout. There is an ideal layout for everyone, but it just depends on how you would use it. Are there just the two of you, or do you have any children to consider?

We have looked at other "higher spec" vans, but there was always something that we didn't quite like about them. We now think we've seen the perfect layout "for us", but the problem is that it's 28 feet long and we have been warned off this length by people in the past. Our search continues:Sad:

Good luck with your search, enjoy looking and take plenty of time over it:thumb:
Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
As much as make as Graham said, the dealer is important, but more so I would say is the lay out of the van, does not matter what the make if the lay out does not work for you.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
wondered too if a close proximity dealer to the factory would be a real advantage given the publicity they would get if their customer was not up to the mark service

Only if you're planning on staging a camp-in protest if your van proves to be defective. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We experienced awful warranty service from them.

Then again, we haven't had a warranty claim with another manufacturer to compare the nightmare with......................:Angry:

Upvote 0

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Real or not so benefits---motorhome choice

we have owned the Compass equivalent, a 400 rear lounge that took us all round France and Spain. It was bomb proof and 100% reliable, from the day we took delivery it never once had to go back to the dealer for any adjustments. Yes we considered it to be a budjet motorhome but it had everything that is available on ones that are more expensive. We would have liked external access side lockers and drop down bunk doors as the only way to get under them was to remove the seat bases. Anyone wanting a well built budget motorhome should put the Eldis at the top of the list. My only reservation with the latest offerings is the lack of fixed Truma fires which are a must for regular ralliers, they are now fitted with a Whale heater system which will need a couple of good batteries coupled to a large Solar panel when not coupled up to a camp site mains, a backward step.

Upvote 0

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I wouldn't call the Eldiss Aspire a budget motorhome also they have Alde heating which is very good

Andy

Upvote 0

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I wouldn't call the Eldiss Aspire a budget motorhome also they have Alde heating which is very good

Andy
I thought we were discussing the budget range. The Aspire is in a different class and yes it has an Alde heating system. The only problem with it is the payload is very limited whereas the standard ranges payload is far greater.

Upvote 0

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
I too have an Aspire 255 and I'm delighted with it although I accept it isn't in the 'budget' class but with it Eldiss again give you the level of equipment and finish expected in much more expensive MHs. Does this mean they qualify as budget 'top end' MH manufacturers??

I agree that selecting the right dealer is by far the most important factor and the decision should not be based only on price. I could have bought an Aspire for considerably less at the other end of the country but realised that any warranty work (none so far) would have required a major upheaval and expense. My local dealers, Dyce Caravans have been excellent with support and not charged a penny when mysterious 'failures' have been down to my resistance/inability to read instructions!!!!!

Don't be afraid to purchase an Eldiss because as someone else said they're virtually bombproof although like all MHs they need a bit of TLC and a light hand when operating things that in the house often need a thump to get working. DON'T do it in a MH!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a compass avantgarde which I believe is boger standard elldis and compleatly happy with it apart from the size of the toilet/shower room which a bit small but I am going to take out the cupboards when I get round to it and hope it will be the perfect van then:thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We had a 155 which was basic but value for money. We only changed it because SWMBO fell for an island bed on an Auto-Trail.

The factory won't deal direct with a customer, you have to go to your dealer, and they can be obstructive when you want to change something. Our model had the pathetic 45 ltr fresh water tank and I wanted to change it to the upgraded 90ltr tank. Still not big enough really. The factory insisted it couldn't be done, via the dealer, who told me he had done two already ! Other little niggles that we wanted to change were fobbed of by the factory and again the dealer said he could do them.

The dealer was Cleveland Motorhomes (www.clevelandmotorhomes.co.uk) who were excellent with us.
Overall the Elddis that we had was very good and never let us down.

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
bit off topic, still an elldis, my son-in-law had an elldis caravan midd range, very nice inside, comfortable, but it was rotton as a pear, soaking wet in the rear and side walls, beyond keeping, so was traded in for a new new van, the dealer knew about the damp and did not sell the van at thier dealership. The van was only 5 years old, elldiss, just said out of warranty which it was but a bit help would have been nice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Eldiss are considered Budget buys simply because they are at the lower end of the price range :thumb: Nothing much wrong with them, but they have not altered much (body shape) for a god few years.The newer shaped ones (nice) are what I would say in the mid range price rather than the top price vans.They don't produce any top priced vans but lots of makers produce budget vans and ask top money ::bigsmile:They hold prices well enough -I know of a few 50/60k vans that sell for 35k after a year :Eeek: that's almost the price of a new budget Eldiss after a year :Eeek: :winky:::bigsmile:Remember 20 % of 100k is 20k where 20 % of say 30k is only 6k -they all loose money (with a few exceptions ie some self bulids ::bigsmile::winky:) they all have beds cookers loo/showers and heaters -- Never really hear of many complaints from budget vans -who knows perhaps the owners don't expect too much, where a van costing 60-70k you would expect to be perfect ::bigsmile: and god knows what I would expect from a 100k plus van :Eeek:if ever I win the lottery :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Hi Terry very valid points thank you very much for sharing this
kind regards
ian:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have had an Elddis Autoquest 180 for over 2 years now, we bought it new because it was our first van and didn't want one that had been used before. We looked at others, but in the end went for the 180, we've enjoyed plenty space in the 6 berth for only the two of us.

We have been pleased with the finish of the interior, but now a couple of years on we are looking to change ours, mainly because we would like a change of layout. OH would like two side settees, because she likes to stretch out, and a separate shower (because we always need to dry the floor before anyone can use the loo). With a separate cubicle, it's not so urgent. We are fortunate that we can use our 180 and keep the bed down because it's just us two.

We have used the overcab bed only once when our daughter stayed overnight when we were away. Plenty space for her, she is 25 and around 6 feet tall, so no problems there, but we use it for storing just about everything and would be lost without it.

Many people "slate" the Elddis range, for one reason or another, but we have been very happy with ours. When you go to check out a potential purchase, just make sure you "try" sitting on everything (including the loo) to see how you get on with the layout. There is an ideal layout for everyone, but it just depends on how you would use it. Are there just the two of you, or do you have any children to consider?

We have looked at other "higher spec" vans, but there was always something that we didn't quite like about them. We now think we've seen the perfect layout "for us", but the problem is that it's 28 feet long and we have been warned off this length by people in the past. Our search continues:Sad:

Good luck with your search, enjoy looking and take plenty of time over it:thumb:
Bill
Hi Bill-thanks for this information packed reply.Similar to you there are no children to be considered (Although I'm sure our adult kids would sometimes disagree).
We are not in any way elitist and simply wondered why looking at Elddis MHs why there was so much price difference between them and others of relatively same quality finish and specification. Hope you find your dream MH soon.
kind regards
Ian:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As much as make as Graham said, the dealer is important, but more so I would say is the lay out of the van, does not matter what the make if the lay out does not work for you.

I think you have a very valid point -we took ages to select a caravan layout, bought one,quickly discovered it was not quite right,had a blazing row,made up,bought another one and now we think we've got the layout just about right. Maybe on reflection there is at least one positive to come out of wrong decision making(lol) but I'm sure the caravan dealer is now disappointed.
Thanks again
Ian:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We experienced awful warranty service from them.

Then again, we haven't had a warranty claim with another manufacturer to compare the nightmare with......................:Angry:
Really sorry to hear about that-can you please confirm it was in your opinion actually Elddis who let you down or the dealer who mis- managed your complaints. I often think dealers in most supply industries are only interested in achieving their margin targets and that time spent dealing with customer complaints is a total cost without any form of financial return to them. Might be just me being an old septic sceptic as usual but I think dealers should only be interested in ensuring negative messages about them don't pollute the market. I clearly don't know if you can buy your MH direct from the factory cutting out the cost of the dealership.Sorry for long winded reply but you must guess by now I:Angry::Angry: have a real bee in the bonnet about customer care.
thanks again Ian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we have owned the Compass equivalent, a 400 rear lounge that took us all round France and Spain. It was bomb proof and 100% reliable, from the day we took delivery it never once had to go back to the dealer for any adjustments. Yes we considered it to be a budjet motorhome but it had everything that is available on ones that are more expensive. We would have liked external access side lockers and drop down bunk doors as the only way to get under them was to remove the seat bases. Anyone wanting a well built budget motorhome should put the Eldis at the top of the list. My only reservation with the latest offerings is the lack of fixed Truma fires which are a must for regular ralliers, they are now fitted with a Whale heater system which will need a couple of good batteries coupled to a large Solar panel when not coupled up to a camp site mains, a backward step.

Great to see a real positive response- thanks for the detail and information provided.
Regards Ian:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Andy
Andy I hope I have not offended you in any way.You see my starting point was based on the premise that I could not understand articles I have read quoting them as "starter" or "Budget" MHs either.Their build quality is not at the very top of the range, in my opinion, but they don't set out to claim that. I see them as excellent value for money and wondered if I was being naive/down right stupid/mis-informed.Thanks for confirming I may have a little time before senility fully sets in Regards Ian:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I too have an Aspire 255 and I'm delighted with it although I accept it isn't in the 'budget' class but with it Eldiss again give you the level of equipment and finish expected in much more expensive MHs. Does this mean they qualify as budget 'top end' MH manufacturers??

I agree that selecting the right dealer is by far the most important factor and the decision should not be based only on price. I could have bought an Aspire for considerably less at the other end of the country but realised that any warranty work (none so far) would have required a major upheaval and expense. My local dealers, Dyce Caravans have been excellent with support and not charged a penny when mysterious 'failures' have been down to my resistance/inability to read instructions!!!!!

Don't be afraid to purchase an Eldiss because as someone else said they're virtually bombproof although like all MHs they need a bit of TLC and a light hand when operating things that in the house often need a thump to get working. DON'T do it in a MH!

Ah a "furryboot" country man! As a fellow frugal Scot I really appreciated your helpful comments.Cost/quality with reliability built in are most important to us in that we want to winter abroad and until we fully understand all the issues our choice selection research will go on. Every penny a prisoner until we're absolutely sure we're not wasting money. Mind you we've not got to buying yellow paint and catching sparrows! lol
Thanks again Ian:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We had a 155 which was basic but value for money. We only changed it because SWMBO fell for an island bed on an Auto-Trail.

The factory won't deal direct with a customer, you have to go to your dealer, and they can be obstructive when you want to change something. Our model had the pathetic 45 ltr fresh water tank and I wanted to change it to the upgraded 90ltr tank. Still not big enough really. The factory insisted it couldn't be done, via the dealer, who told me he had done two already ! Other little niggles that we wanted to change were fobbed of by the factory and again the dealer said he could do them.

The dealer was Cleveland Motorhomes (www.clevelandmotorhomes.co.uk) who were excellent with us.
Overall the Elddis that we had was very good and never let us down.

Really helpful response and Cleveland would be our dealer too being only 2o miles from the door Thanks again Ian:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back