Read Only?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bam2, May 21, 2012.

1. Bam2

Bam2 Read Only Funster

Hi,

Had to register again just to post this...

There's a message at the top of the screen for my old ID saying 'Read Only' and I can't post.

What is going on?

Cheers,

Bam

2. tofo

tofo Funster

You needs to fling a tenner at mr jim the ringleader
    For a full years entertainment :thumb:

Link http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk./subs.php

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

5 free posts then you have to part with a tenner (Annual Subs) or become a 'read only' funster and cant post or see some forum pages..

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Bam2, check bam's private messages, when you got to 7 posts we sent you this...

Dear Bam

We hope you are enjoying MotorhomeFun, everyone who joins gets a few posts or two weeks complimentary membership (whichever comes first) I see you have quickly used your posts and are now in read only mode. However you can unlock all of this site, post as much as you like, get the Funster discounts, use our massive download resource, attend the funster rallies, get free classifieds, ask questions on the forum and much more for just £10 a year.

.. Unlock the search, reviews, downloads and more. The data is all here available to subscribers, hundreds of manuals, handbooks, GPS waypoints etc.

..Any question, answered in minutes. You might struggle to get answers from a dealer or an insurance broker but here you will get answers from those that have been there/done that

..Save £££ on a massive range of goods and services with exclusive Funster Discounts, everything from insurance, accessories and campsite stays.

..Going to France, Cornwall, Greece, Italian lakes? Want advice about how to get there? best routes, best campsites. Just ask on our touring forums.

..Motorhome Problem! get advice from people who have your motorhome, have experienced the same problems as you, proper advice and not the flannel some dealers might give you.

There are many more benefits such as the meets and rallies and friendships that can be made, but I think by now you already appreciate that all this is worth much more than just £10 a year. Please subscribe by clicking here. Thanks

5. pappajohn

6. Bam2

Bam2 Read Only Funster

Hi All,

That's very sad.

I've been on the internet almost since it started. It always was (and still almost entirely is) a place where there is a free exchange of ideas and of people helping each other just because that is how they would like the world to be.

Where would any of you be without free browsers? Apache, PHP, MySQL, Java, Eclipse, GWT, Perl, Python...

You may well not have heard of them but they keep 90%+ of the web running, and all are free. There would be no web if the hundreds of thousands contributors had demanded cash rather than donate their time and expertise for the common good.

If you can't afford Windows, there's Linux. Then there's Flash, YouTube, Wikipedia, OpenOffice, all freeware or open source.

I know there are costs involved in running a web site like this, but there are free ways to do it, and there are ways to make money from a web site without blocking people who don't cough up. It doesn't seem right to ask people to pay to give advice. All is not equal, some take more than they give, but then to balance that, others give more than they take.

When you know nothing, you are given advice, when you have knowledge, you give back. That's my philosophy, anyway, and for that reason, it appears I don't fit in here.

If I had the money, I'd probably pay without another thought, but right now I don't have cash to spare. In a month's time, it will be a completely different story (which is why I can sit here and plan my future, but am unable to do much else).

Almost the entire web is free. Google aren't short of cash and their services (including hosting web sites) are completely gratis unless you need enterprise-level services. Facebook aren't doing too shabbily, either.

Well, I wish you all the best. Maybe I'll see you on the road somewhere. And we can have seven sentences with each other before you gag me and demand cash before you allow me to speak. :Sad:

Bam

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

:BigGrin: I see from your web page that you charge £35 an hour for your computer services.

• Like Like x 16
  8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

When I takes my car to the garage, the well trained mechanic shakes his head nods a little and says £6o per hour...

When the plumber came round to fix me boiler he said ooh err mate it needs a new battery and charged me £40

When Funster 10001 asked where he should wild camp the night how much should he pay for a 1998 hymer are a frames legal what meet he could attend which party he should vote for at the next election which is the best footie team are swifts really that good is a gaslow good why do people chase a ball that's oval why are haganaps meets so brilliant why are the olympics so great as well as what generator should I buy do people get gassed who's this Jim bloke and lastly,,,,,,,,

Why on earth does JJ manage to pull a French Funster beauty like frankie and salopian only get the ladies of the night at roundabouts will you ever say?

Is a tenner good value?

Far better to it ask the whys nd ways bu to get your hand in your pocket and spend your best 10 pound ever

• Like Like x 7
  9. pappajohn

well Bam, you will be a lonely person on the 'motorhome' web as almost all the popular motorhome specific forum websites make a subscription fee, many in excess of Jims fee, and those that don't aren't as personal and friendly as this one and definitely not as informative.

free sites are usually the motorhome magazine/club related forums as they can cover the forum running costs in their magazine subscriptions or club subscription price.

servers, bandwidth and maintainance have to be paid for somehow and as this forum is run by one man he cant be expected to fund the lot himself indefinitely.

£10 is a small price to pay....3 pints of beer or one and a bit packs of cigarettes or 7ltrs of petrol....or £10 here, less than 3p per day, for 12 months of info and fun.

10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

OK, any chance you could donate 2 servers including co-location fees. Please note the server must have Raid 5 setup and the connection must be an uncontended connection with at least 100mb/s connection to a Tier 1 provider. Server must have at least 16GB main memory also and a vKVM for remote reboots etc.

If you can donate the above I am sure Jim will be happy to give you a free subscription :Wink::Rofl1:

PS: I look at the fee as a subscription to a club. The forum is one of the free perks of being a member:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  11. lorger

lorger Funster

I dont think about the £10 its cost i think about the £££££££'s it has saved me but everyone to their own.

• Like Like x 1
  12. welsh winger

welsh winger Read Only Funster

I can see both sides of this thread, the idea that the web is free is a good one, but does not work in the real world.

I run a forum with 5 others we all chip in to cover the costs we regularly get asked if we would like money to help cover costs, for a long time we have said no, but being asked so often we changed our minds to say no 3 times then if the same person kept asking accept their offer, oddly people dont ask anymore :Eeek:

Thats just us and I am happy to pay my subs here.

The fact we are all different make the world a better place, the op pays his money or not as it his choice.

I will say for me I have saved a fortune here just reading posts, so either way you are on a winner here.

Nick

13. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Ta Paul for the kind adjectives ....I can give at least one of the possible answers to this... Fortunatly for me ....Nikki was already in hands:Wink: ... the tenner did help though:BigGrin:

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. ukbill

ukbill Funster

pay the tenner its a small price to pay for the priceless advice and friendly help you can get here trust me it will be the best tenner you have spent :Smile:

15. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

Running costs.

I've always done a lot of wildlife photography and used to post on a forum based in California. When we went over to photograph the grey whale migration we stayed with the site owner, who unfortunately died the following Christmas. I was amazed at the amount of kit he had and how much he was paying for bandwidth each month.

I don't think £10 is excessive for the amount of help and information available on a site like this, especially for newcomers and also site specific information for people planning a trip.

The other thing which has impressed me about this site and the people on it is that it's a shining example of equality in action. I've got a 24 year old Hymer, but there must be people on here with close on £100,000 worth of motorhome, but nobody is ignored.

The common thread here(If you'll pardon the pun), is a love of being on the open road and I don't think the price of a few pints, or 20 cigarettes, is excessive for a site which gives me and all the other members help, advice and entertainment.
    Cheers, John

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

many know what I do to earn a crust and know what I run..
    I have NO idea what it has cost me over the years but can say without ANY fear of nay saying it has not been free, and if it was not for everyone chipping in the facility would have long gone

A few years ago I would have blanched at a tenner per year, but today ?

Hell, it will not buy 2 gallons of diesel, two packets of fags, 3 pints, not even 8 decent newspapers for goodness sake !!!

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Do you have a free telephone ? The tenner buys the line rental, all the rest is free.

You say free internet, how do you get on the internet ? A free computer, a free service provider ?

If anything is free it only because you've failed to see where the cost is.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Bam2 :BigGrin: I UNDERSTAND YOUR ARGUMENT for free but I also understand the need to pay--indeed the site was free for about 3 yrs and we had all the arguments when fees were mentioned/started.Jim had to start subs simply because hosting became more expensive and time consuming (so I am told)It is not an extortionate sum to pay and you can very soon recoup your costs simply by either discounts or time saved by the funsters giving free advise as is in the spirit of free internet even though we pay the tenner.
    You stand to gain a lot with your proposed project so it is in your own interests :Wink: or you can spend the time searching hours for answers that take mins on here to get.We do not have many paid members to pay Jims wages to run the site -prob less than1500 so = 15 k now could/would you run one for that amount -To me if I ask info on one item per yr it would be worth a tenner :thumb: let alone the amusement I get from some :BigGrin:
    terry

19. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

OMG--you mean I paid a WHOLE £10 for 52 weeks of:
    Quick and friendly responses to my endless questions of which m/home to buy, why doesn't this work, what will happen if I...... etc.....
    Offers of help when I was nearly scammed (and verbally threatened) by a tu** who wanted to rent my house (so nothing even to do with m/homes!)
    Hours of laughing at daft jokes.
    Hours of fun in the Quiz room on a Thursday night.
    Maps, travel info, years and years of motorhoming experience and learning about aspects of motorhoming I hadn't even thought of.
    Meeting some very nice people.
    AND being directed to an Aire where I had a 2 week holiday, EHU and water for €16.

And this cost me 3p per day???????
    What is the world coming to????

• Like Like x 2
  20. Popeye

Popeye Funster

HOLLYBERRY..........do I detect a hint of cynicism here? :Rofl1: