re-registering in Spain

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Steve Oraa, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Steve Oraa

Steve Oraa Read Only Funster

Do we have to re-register our motorhome in Spain as we will be there for about nine months before coming back to England. I contacted a company called Spanish number plates who can deal with this and they told me that as long as we don't plan to live in Spain, there is no need. I am a bit confused!

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If you spend longer than six months of the year in Spain with your UK-registered car, Spanish law says you must register your vehicle with the Spanish authorities.

full info here https://www.gov.uk/living-in-spain

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Is it not possible to drive over the border into say France and stay away one night and then come back?

Get your passport stanped to prove

Peter

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

How does that work Peter ?

Once in Europe you dont need a passport never mind finding someone to stamp it.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If you can find a border post..:LOL:

I'm sure lots of snowbirds stay longer than 6 months .. and never worry.. or even think about it.. do they feel lucky.. or just plead ignorance..

6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

There are people here in Benidorm who have been here years in Uk reg cars and run the gauntlet..
    With a motorhome, who would really know how long you have been here.. As mentioned above there are no border checks and unless your going to park your van on a pitch for 9 months I cant see any issues... Re-registration in Spain is a "pain" and not cheap.. Also on a motorhome if it's RHD with hab door on the nearside (uk). it will not be allowed for registration...

Technically !!
    I think if you spend more that 182 in a year in Spain you are meant to register as a " resident". Now, you dont want to be doing that...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Falcon 269

Falcon 269 Funster

The requirement to re-register only applies if you are resident in Spain, that's to say, you've applied for and been given residentia status.

If you are officially resident in the UK, you can claim to be here in Spain on an extended vacation and keep your motorhome on UK plates, insurance, MOT and tax.

As has also been pointed out, it's very difficult for the authorities in Spain to prove that you haven't been out of the country at various times in the 9 months ... but really doesn't matter. The key thing here is your residential status.