Re-mapping ecu

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stupot, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Stupot

Stupot Read Only Funster

What are the real benefits of re- mapping the ECU on a 3ltr fiat ducato 160?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

stand by for loads of conflicting advice. :Laughing:

I reckon it depends on the type of remap.
    Economy...reduced power
    Power..reduced economy
    Combined....not a lot of difference.
    Insurance company....may spit their dummy out

• Like Like x 4
  3. bungy

bungy Funster

Our van has that beastie in it...so I guess the my question would have to be..why would you want to!!!

4. Stupot

Stupot Read Only Funster

Folks always tell me it's better for fuel economy, I'm on the fence!

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i guess with an upgrade the engine isnt working as hard to produce the same power but with more power comes the temptation to use it....harder acceleration, faster cruising speed etc all of which will negate any economy savings.

You already have 155bhp and 300ftlb of torque.

Not a lot less than my 6.8ltr V10 petrol lump

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I can't comment on the 3.0 unit you have, but I've had two cars remapped and another non-ECU diesel heavily tweaked.

All changes cited alleged improved economy, but that wasn't the reasoning for any of my changes.

Despite driving 'normally', there have been no massively discernable economy improvements. I find I tend to use the extra grunt more often than not. Silly paying for it otherwise, I think.

However, there have been massive improvements to driveability. More torque, better response, better low-down reserves and greater flexibility.

So, in my opinion, worth it every time.

No matter what power or torque you get additionally, you'll never have anything terribly quick in a motorhome and it'll never be that miserly on fuel. But your journeys will be easier and, maybe, a little more fun.

7. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I had our 2.3 130 bhp Bolero remapped, 2-3 more mpg, but more importantly, much smoother and quieter, as well as more torque midrange, makes it much more fun and less effort to drive, hardly seem to touch the throttle pedal now.

8. Mel

Mel Funster

Same here I am happy with the power of this unit.
    Here it costs about €350 and I can think of other things to spend it on in the motorhome.

Mel

• Like Like x 2
  9. bungy

bungy Funster

Whats your current Mpg?

i do quite well on our fuel economy - average around 28mpg and thats close to maxing out our 3500kg weight, but our van is also a low profile so lot less wind resistance than non low profile

did get upto 50mpg year before last on a 100mile run...which blew me away to be honest...as did the wind when i got out of the van at a service station...wed effectivley been sailing for the 100miles:Laughing:

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

From my experience no benefits what so ever biggest mistake I ever made and very very costly.
    Don't waste your money. Search the web you'll find loads of reported clutch problems especially in motorhomes. Its taken me 2 years to get mine sorted after the remap plus 3 clutches and no help from the original company. Be Warned :Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  11. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have never understood the logic.

I own a Fiat, I suspect although I have no evidence that Fiat must have a research department and that data must be sent back to them for analysis. I would have thought that the design of the engine and other bits would have been optimised to that design and all the component parts designed also. So Fiat or whoever just have spent a fortune in R & D , design, optimisation, etc etc. And then you get a company with some software, plug in and change all the settings or whatever.
    I know Hilldweller wrote something similar some time ago. I don’t understand the logic or tampering with the settings if you don’t have all the data and knowing the full effect of those changes.
    I can well imagine someone changing the ECU setting on a new van, pop, engine goes, big hit. I wonder if the full economic argument has been made?
    Cost of ECU remap , potential savings in fuel, change on performance (of a brick) and the potential future costs of the repair if the remapping goes wrong?

• Like Like x 2
  12. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Haha - so much conflicting advice - but i guess thats to be expected.
    I had a car remapped a couple of years ago (BMW330) and wow - best £250 I ever spent. Improved performance, torque, and fuel economy - struggled to get less than 30mpg from a 3. litre car with massive performance - and I drove it like I stole it:Wink:

Did the same on a Mini Cooper we bought last year - an improvement there also on standard.

My Burstner 747 is reputed to be a tad 'sluggish' in general - well, it is a 5tonne MH! But, again, the previous owner had had it remapped and chipped in the past, and I find the performance adequate - but can't compare it to before obviously.

Manufacturers always build in flat spots for emissions and economy at certain rpm's etc and never give you the full potential of their engines. A remap wil release some of that potential - so I for one would always have it done.
    Its not a modification, and is not detectable, and I've told the insurance company who says it makes no difference to them.

Horses for courses I guess - but my experience has all been good and well worth the money:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

My suspicion is that changing or releasing the 'potential' may also reduce the life expectancy of your engine.
    I should point out that I have no mechanical qualification and could be wrong.

So you may get and extra 3mpg but you may lose 30k miles, hard calculation to work out..

Your van, your choice.

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

2.8 pre-facelift boxer ( 2006 ) WOW ! map..

Without anything 19 to 20mpg
    With a Torquing of Cats box, 22 mpg ( used for well over a year and consistent measurements )
    WOW ! Map, first one.. bloody useless Drank diesel
    Moaned and they sorted it out no problem, remapped and now get about 23 mpg except when towing a car when it takes a massive dive !

No issues with clutch* or anything else.. Occasionally run the ol' girl on reclaimed cooking oil and anything else to hand ..

I did have a new clutch fitted last year but the thing was on the way out almost from the day I bought the van.. It had still not gone completely ( approx 20k miles on remap ) but thought it prudent to replace anyway

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Did I ?

Anyway our 2l benefitted a lot because it was in gutless 80hp tune before.

It's possible FIAT detuned it because of a marginal clutch.

After re-mapping it pulls hills in a higher gear which is nice. It now gets gets a lot of wheelspin ( another reason to detune it ).

It certainly is not more economical.

In cars it's common to offer more power at more cost and all they do is change the map. I believe that is the main difference between Mini and Mini Cooper engines.

16. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

The main benefit is you will soon find out what a knackered clutch drives like:Rofl1:

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Really ???? My van must be special then !

• Like Like x 2
  18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

My third van, my third remap.

37000 miles of clutch free trouble so far.

Best money I ever spent. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ahh.. so YOU have a special van too then Paul :thumb:

20. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Hi Rory
    How did you get yours sorted?
    I reported the problem i had with my WoW upgrade to the guys at one of the shows in respect of clutch wear and they said they had not heard of any other issues!!
    I also asked them to make customers aware that clutch wear could be an issue but i think it fell on death ears, too much money to lose?
    I have voiced my concerns of an upgrade on previous posts due to the weight of the larger motorhomes and design of the clutch, I suggest the OP takes a look at those posts.
    It may be that other companies are more professional and take the weight and type of motorhome into consideration

Tony