Free Member
Apr 30, 2011
FIFE
Funster No
MH
BURSTNER 747-2
Exp
Since 2008
Thinking about re-mapping 2.8 Ducato in a Burstner 747-2 To do or not to do, that is the question,has anyone had it done ?and was there a difference. Any views on it would be welcome

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
There is an article on this very subject in the November MMM. Provides a useful overview of the techniques used and some guidance on what to look for in a supplier.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Wait for it :mad::):p:X3:
My opinion leave well alone more power more damage to drive train :(
But I am sure others will be along soon with differant views :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've read reports of more power, fewer gear changes, faster acceleration, higher top speed, .. .. all possible depending on what mapping is done..
and then they spoil it by saying.. and I also get better MPG.. :rolleyes:.. yeah right.

Despite claims from re-mapping firms, .. You can tune for performance or economy .. not both..

I've also read of burned out clutches after remapping

It's a motorhome.. not an F1 car .. so I am in the 'leave well alone' camp

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I'm afraid you are wrong Jim, my remapped van now has more torque than before, and also returns on average about 3-4 mpg more as well, it is also much easier to drive and much more pleasurable, the main difference is how quiet and smooth the engine has now become since the remap, if you were closer, you would be welcome to try it. I am a convert,and would not go back.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had my 2.8 JTD done terrible decision. More power more torque slightly worse mpg but destroyed 3 clutches in 14000 miles. Finally got it removed and sorted last year and hey presto no more clutch issues. The final cost of this little exercise was well over £2000.00 so beware. Seems to work on smaller vans if you believe others who even claim more mpg. :LOL:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I had a motohome that we had re-mapped and it did make a difference. The torque was better, but obviously no increase in fuel consumption which to be honest wasn't the intention.

A friend of mine that spent a good part of his life in the motor industry looks on with amusement to all of this.

Ford (for example) spend an absolute fortune to get the optimum balance of reliability, performance and fuel usage, with fleet of vehicles driving over a range of terrains, through a selection of Countrys.

The the data is poured over by the experts that designed and manufactured the engine and the best possible compromised is derived.

"John" turns up with his lap top and fiddles around and everyone is amazed and how much better it runs using so little fuel lol

They were my friends words not mine BTW lol

Eddie

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Not sure about Motorhomes, but suggest that they are similar, but cars and vans are tuned for neither economy or performance but CO2 emissions as this is the "green" credential. Sets the BIK and Road Tax level

Never tried it but there does seem to be many companies to choose from and people who have tried it in high mileage work vans swear by it, both the inline clip in adapter and the remap using a software loader.

Adrian

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I recently installed a remapping chip before our last big journey. Whilst the MPG is no better (not expected) the "grunt" or torque has improved. It pulls up hills with more gusto. Im not bothered about top speed, its plenty fast enough anyway.
Overall, Im very pleased.
It was a bluespark chip for an Iveco 3 ltr engine.
Phil

Printermick

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
You would need to tell your insurer. I found my motorhome had been chipped and the first insurance company would not offer cover at all, the second charged more.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You would need to tell your insurer. I found my motorhome had been chipped and the first insurance company would not offer cover at all, the second charged more.
Very surprised at that. Most motorhome insurers just want to be notified and make a note of it. They do not normally charge extra. My last two vans were both remapped and several insurers were used at various times. None of them charged anything extra.

We are in the "pro" camp for ease of driving. Any economy benefits are a bonus, however the last van was 3 litre Iveco lump in a ducato and remapped we ran it on premium diesel (which is designed for higher performance engines) and gained from 24.5 mpg up to 26.8 mpg which was totally unexpected. With higher priced fuel, it was cost neutral but great to drive

Edit - before anyone debunks it, those MPG figures were taken from several thousand miles and based on continuous spreadsheet calculations (same programme I used to use for company car)

Last edited:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've had my 2.8 done, best decission ever. All the flat spots have gone, engine is much smoother and quieter. It made the van much nicer to drive. Fuel consumption, 2 week French trip before, followed bt a 2 week trip after, made absolutely no difference. I think you only get problems if the engine is pushed to it's limit but a smooth power curve is ok.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Had the Transit done but it is better at low end, maybe a bit smoother, I do the same speed 56mph and the fuel consumption has gone up from 28mpg to 25mpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had the Transit done but it is better at low end, maybe a bit smoother, I do the same speed 56mph and the fuel consumption has gone up from 28mpg to 25mpg

You mean it uses more fuel?. What did you have done re-map or plug in.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It was a remap, but the mileage might be due to differing terrain ie lake district as against back from Lincoln to Dover at 56mph on the road and it is downhill from there. I will keep the figures going and check later in the year.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It was a remap, but the mileage might be due to differing terrain ie lake district as against back from Lincoln to Dover at 56mph on the road and it is downhill from there. I will keep the figures going and check later in the year.

Big difference me thinks.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I used to have a VW T4 2.5 88hp 03 plate
when I sold it it had 153.3BHP & 284.4NM Torque

It started out with the EGR & Air Filter & then went on to include 5 bigger 150hp injectors, a Homemade Sidewinder Exhaust & the Re-Map followed shortly by a new DMF clutch replacement ;)

Now lets get to the point:
It was a beast & could run rings around all the hot hatches & on a run to & from wales she would out run a lot of modern motors including those with bigger engines but top speed ended @ 112mph because of the gearbox gearing being designed for a lower horsepower.

It had its downfalls & I can narrow this down to the BIG injectors as they caused the idle to run really lumpy but there was a fix but never got round to doing it.
Now if i chose to make any changes to my current motorhome obviously they would not be so drastic however I would consider EGR delete, Air induction kit & remap & that's it. It wouldn't be a full power remap but if you have it done @ home you can test drive & change it until you are happy & send the guy on his way.
I would play with the exhaust BUT only when it has rotten & i would simply shorten the length as & where it rots "why" because it goes accros the van & back & with the right planning & design you wont get any more noise than standard by the use of quality aftermarket components.

Hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
If it ain't broke, don't fix it? My 2.2 diesel Transit has enough power to get me up hills, cruise at 60 mpg all day, do 27 mpg (average over 13500 miles), is smooth and quiet and is bog standard. Do I need any more? No diesel remap for me thanks.

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
remapping is a good thing IF its done properly, many of these companies just give you a generic map that has the torque limiter and fueling turned up, a proper remapper will tune the map for your engine, yes motor companies spend fortunes developing the ecu maps but they develop a generic map for the 1000's of engines they produce so they are on the safe side if that makes sense.
a proper remapper tweeks more than just winding the limits up, driver wish map, boost limit, fuel limit, smoke, maf, altittude maps all need to be tweeked, with a good map you can get more power and more mpg, yes to get more power you need to burn more fuel but then you dont need to work it as long, Ie you get up to speed quicker you dont need to labour the engine as long etc...

and if your producing more power you are going to put more stress on the engine/drive train but alot of this can be controlled by the mapper I seen//been in badly mapped cars where the power just suddenly comes like a kick in the back and this cant be good for the drive train etc...

my personal car was mapped its a 150 cdti vectra I decatted straight throu exhaust bigger intercooler, it was mapped 25k miles ago and its producing 220 bhp and smidge over 400nm of torque so a lot more than stock, but it doesnt smoke (like some badly mapped cars) pulls smooth no sudden kicks in the back etc and when drove normal I get better mpg on a run to scotland a few weeks ago sat at 70mph and averaged 68.2mpg round the doors i'll get 47-50mpg

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I had the real deal on a rolling road& like Lee superb mpg was the result.

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I personally wouldnt use a tuning box they do give you more power but they are pretty crude most of them including the dtuk basically just fool the ecu they make the car think it has lower fuel pressure at the common rail so the ecu opens the injectors for longer to compensate you will get more power but no where near as controlled as a real deal remap and because your fooling the ecu.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have just had two weeks in France in our first motor home. A 2.2HDi Peugeot Boxer based coachbuilt. It didn't take long to decide that it didn't have enough grunt on even slight slopes. And the long slopes on the motorways I was down to 40mph in 4th. I am definitely considering a remap. Extended high engine speeds under load can't be doing any good to the engine. Anyone know any good remappers in East Anglia?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I too have a 747-2.
Bought it already remapped so can't compare without! Adequate power and pulling and average 23mpg at 55-60.

I've always had my cars remapped and am a great fan of it.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We have just had two weeks in France in our first motor home. A 2.2HDi Peugeot Boxer based coachbuilt. It didn't take long to decide that it didn't have enough grunt on even slight slopes. And the long slopes on the motorways I was down to 40mph in 4th. I am definitely considering a remap. Extended high engine speeds under load can't be doing any good to the engine. Anyone know any good remappers in East Anglia?

Well injebreck99 probably does as he lives in Norfolk - see above posts!

OP
OP
fifer37

fifer37

Free Member
Apr 30, 2011
FIFE
Funster No
MH
BURSTNER 747-2
Exp
Since 2008
I too have a 747-2.
Bought it already remapped so can't compare without! Adequate power and pulling and average 23mpg at 55-60.

I've always had my cars remapped and am a great fan of it.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I've had my 2.8 done, best decission ever. All the flat spots have gone, engine is much smoother and quieter. It made the van much nicer to drive. Fuel consumption, 2 week French trip before, followed bt a 2 week trip after, made absolutely no difference. I think you only get problems if the engine is pushed to it's limit but a smooth power curve is ok.

I have done nearly 15k since remaping and the comments above are the same for me. I run at 3.5 to 4.o tons all the time. so the maping for the standerd van were just not suitable. Have had no clutch problems van now at 50k
Steve

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Very surprised at that. Most motorhome insurers just want to be notified and make a note of it. They do not normally charge extra. My last two vans were both remapped and several insurers were used at various times. None of them charged anything extra.

You do need to tell them and some companies will will give you a list of approved systems that they approve "without any increase in premium"..however retro fit one and dont tell then and then have a crash and see what happens if they find out. Thats why they ask you the open ended question "has it had any modifications from the standard vehicle"

This is classed as a modification and so you would not be insured.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
You do need to tell them and some companies will will give you a list of approved systems that they approve "without any increase in premium"..however retro fit one and dont tell then and then have a crash and see what happens if they find out. Thats why they ask you the open ended question "has it had any modifications from the standard vehicle"

If you are the new owner how do you know if anything has been done? big sticker saying I Have Been Remaped?

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Absolutely correct! I phoned the insurers and told them. They asked which company, a note was made and that was it. No increase in premium.

Same thing with he previous two vans as well.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Before you increase power and torque consider- What mileage has done, has the cam belt been changed, is there any oil leaks (crankcase compression) doe's it burn oil?. If you increase power and there is a weakness it will find it. If however you decide its ok then suggest you have remap not a bolt on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back