Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
anybody fancy a quantum re map in the south east, just phoned up for one, we can get good discount if have a few done

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Be careful I had a Quantum remap by WOW, its been a nightmare, 3 clutches later its gonna cost me £300.00 to get it put right and no support from them at all.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Be careful I had a Quantum remap by WOW, its been a nightmare, 3 clutches later its gonna cost me £300.00 to get it put right and no support from them at all.

How does a remap wear out a clutch? Is it not due to the poor driving style/technique that causes a clutch to wear out?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I have heard of this problem before so not just a one off by the sounds of things, but how just adding a few brake horse can clap the clutch mystifies me surely a vehicle designed for white van man would not use a clutch so close to its load limit?:Eeek:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I have heard of this problem before so not just a one off by the sounds of things, but how just adding a few brake horse can clap the clutch mystifies me surely a vehicle designed for white van man would not use a clutch so close to its load limit?:Eeek:
forget the horse power in a diesel,its the increased torque that kills the clutch:thumb:
an increase in torque allows you to hold on to that fifth/six gear longer going up hill putting extra strain on the clutch:Doh:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
anybody fancy a quantum re map in the south east, just phoned up for one, we can get good discount if have a few done

God I read this and thought, south east we might go there, we could do with a map, I'll have one!:ROFLMAO:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
A clutch is designed to take a certain amount of torque power pressure call it what you like
If its fitted to for a example a 120 bhp engine it will will take that torque through all its workin range
If you increase bhp to say 150 then when you start to pull under load the engine is in effect stronger than the clutch so it will slip

Now for the good bit
A GOOD driver can compensate this in how you drive
Joe blogs who doesnt understand it will just drive as normal and end up knackering clutch

My advise whould be leave well alone
Would I have mine done NO and I have driven cars vans and trucks all my life

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
All a matter of different opinions and driving techniques I would say.

Had my Autotrail done 12 months ago and have done about 8k in it. It's now a lot more of a pleasure to drive with a lot less gear changes.

I'm not one of those that cruises at 70 though and I don't try to get to 60 in under 4 seconds either.

Make your own decision.

All the best

Miss Daisey

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
had my transit 2.2tdci done in 2007, it has now done 140000 miles and will do 41 mpg on average never any problems

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Had mine done late last year as well, much improved driveability now as well as approx 2-3 MPG increase, absolutely no change to the clutch performance as mine was remapped correctly, not full torque from zero revs as some "tuning boxes" do.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You have to ask why would a member say negative things about a firm that refuses to help after a remap unless they were true not only that I have read the same from others about a remap buggering up the clutch so I know who I believe here is a clue (forestboy)

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
after all fiat have remaped the 3.0 themselves, it has gone from 157 bhp to 180 bhp and havnt changed the clutch

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Listen I have no reason to make up a negative comments about any company I simply related what happened to me and the terrible after service I received.

If you search you will find plenty of information on the clutch issues associated with remapping, I was aware of this before I had it done but decided to go ahead so only have myself to blame. However my issue is with the lack of promised back up if it happened or if I was unhappy. Having said that for every customer with a complaint you find you will find just as many people who are happy with their remaps so you pay your money and take your chance.

I have a guy coming next week to redo the remap for me (recommended by another funster) which should have been done by the original co. as promised so I'm not against remapping but it needs to done properly to suit the vehicle or can cause more damage than its worth.

As for me being an incompetent driver, well that's probably true but I bought the vehicle with 18000 miles on the clock then I did another 12000 before having it remapped. Clutch slipping within 250 miles, ok I thought 30000 miles can't blame the remap. Next clutch slipping within 5000 miles oh **** :Eeek: fit another and again slipping within 5000 miles. Now call me paranoid but bearing in mind all the warning about slipping clutches following remaps you can understand my comments.

Anyway good luck with your remap I sincerely hope you don't have the same problems :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back