Re-fillable gas........underslung or in the van?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I am wondering about the pro's and con's of Gaslow tanks versus underslung tanks.

The van we are buying has an internal gas locker for 2 x 11kg which could be converted to a Gaslow system. On the other hand if I had an external tank fitted underneath then I could use the empty gas locker space for more storage :Wink:.

Could anyone who has either of these two systems offer any advice or comment please?

2. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I was in the same position four years ago and decided on a Gaslow system.

With gaslow the installation can be DIY and save on fitting charges. If you change your van you can take it with you. You can change from 'calor' to gaslow bit by bit. If you filled yet another locker would your payload be compromised.

• Like Like x 3
  3. atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Underslung tank

Hi,
    We bought a Bentley MH earlier this year and we had a underslung tank fitted between the
    chassis with the fill up point coming out the side. The company near Thirsk has been fitting these systems for years and have a wealth of knowledge which is what you need in order to make the right decision for you personally. They put a gauge in the front driving position so that we can see at a glance if it needs filling up and that is very,very easy. We have only ever had a hook up the first night we had the van and never need ehu now which makes the enjoyment of the van so much better without the need to bother with electric anywhere, fully self sufficient.
    We did also put a 100 watt solar panel on the top which keeps our single 120 amp leisure battery fully charged all this summer. We have a full cooker and we have never used the microwave since it was fitted ( runs only on electric hook up).
    The company gave us a very good service and even take you into Thirsk itself to spend the day while it is fitted. The company also do the refillable bottle system so they would give you the choice of both, Autogas 2000's owner Chris is often at shows and can give you expert advice.
    Hope this helps, I have only been a customer.
    Atlantisbird
    Harry

• Like Like x 3
  4. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I agree ..I have two 11kg alugas bottles......I have plenty of space but not the payload, without the under slung tank

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Only me and my missus so no load probs :Smile: I do like the look of Gaslow tho'.....

6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I received email from Chris today, looks good kit. I'd prefer double the capacity tho......

7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I have to agree with atlantisbird - we had our underslung tank fitted by Chris at Autogas 2000 earlier this year, a very professional job and great service.

The tank is supported on a purpose made steel frame and not steel bands which can, in time, rust through causing the tank to drop off. You also get an accurate tank contents gauge which is easy to read without leaving the vehicle.

Apart from cheaper lpg which we can top up easily any time we now have additional locker space and no more humping heavy cylinders.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We had our first Alugas tank (and the filler) installed by Dave Newell. We would have gone back to Dave for the second one but then we found ourselves needing it in a hurry and Autogas 2000 is just down the road from us so we were able to fit it in on a Friday afternoon at short notice.

Both Dave and Autogas 2000 do thoroughly professional jobs.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

For us, the weight of the steel frame for the U/Slung tank... plus the steel under slung tank ..would eat into our so little payload...the alugas.... one bottle full = a steel gas bottle or gaslow bottle empty :BigGrin::thumb: for us the the better option

• Like Like x 1
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The weight factor is something I meant to mention.

We used to carry two Calor 6Kg bottles as we had them from our first van. With the weight of the bottles, two of them full is 30Kg. The Alugas bottles are only 6.5Kg each so two full 11Kg bottles weigh 35Kg. We can carry an extra 10Kg of gas for only 5Kg extra weight.

That's quite apart from the convenience of being able to top up the gas as and when.

• Like Like x 2
  11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Certainly an important point that must be checked before buying and Chris will advise on the total weight ...... we had no problem in this respect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just remember if going to spain bottles are cheaper than auto gas and autogas isnt on every street corner .

13. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

If you go for the gaslow system, then go for the gas it system, exactly the same as gaslow (red bottles rather than yellow) but less than 1/2 the price.

• Like Like x 2
  14. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Good point Alan, we have kept the original gas plumbing in place so we can still use bottles if required.

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

there are alot more lpg places in spain and its growing all the time . but spanish bottles are far cheaper to use.
    also morocco no auto gas . but bottles about 3-4 quid local exchange .
    i,m away to spain and portugal soon will carry uk bottle and spanish . can fill uk in portugal if needed . but possibly wont . just keep swapping spanish bottle .

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I would suggest getting one 11kg Gas-it bottle and the fittings and see how you get on (easy to fit yourself). If you find you want to have more gas you can easily add a second refillable bottle, or carry an 'emergency' country specific bottle just in case.

The cost of refillable bottles is much less than having a gas tank installed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Its all about payload, I had a 55litre underslung tank fitted by a Coventry RV dealer and am really pleased with it, loads of places to fill up and just calling in to fill up suits me fine, the only thing I am not happy with is the gauge as it has a red light and five greens so when it gets down to one green light I fill up but the most I have got into it is 27litres.

Dave

18. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Dave Newall fitted a single 13kg Alugas system for me at Lincoln, went for the lightweight cylinder to save payload, well pleased with it, filled it for first time (it was prefilled when fitted) this afternoon, never having used a lpg pump before I was concerned, shouldn't have been its so simple and straightforward. :thumb:

So now I have space in locker for another 6kg cylinder if abroad and unable to find lpg.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Hi Stewart. How much was it, including fitting cost a la Dave Newall
    .Mitch.

20. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Hi Mitch
    Total bill was £328.97 this included following adapters French/Italian, Acme and Spanish and £16.50 for the fill of lpg. Installation cost was £54. My existing regulator was used (newish gaslow one fitted after truma unit failed) He fitted an external filling point.

Well pleased with the service and would recommend.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1