LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi everybody, I have tried the search engine and not found it. . I thought it was CWH who started a thread what was the last book you read and tell us about it.

Well, having just been rained in for ages I read Before I go to Sleep by S J Watson and then lent it to Penny @Bessie600 who also enjoyed it. It is about a woman who after a traumatic incident completely loses her memory every night when she falls asleep .... but of course it is a thriller so all is not as it seems. Good read. Hopefully Penny will come on and give some opinion.

Also then read Company of Liars by Karen Maitland... Set in the 1300's in the time of the Plague. Thoroughly enjoyed it but then thought it went a bit silly till I remembered that in that era there was no tv etc and people told stories to entertain and they believed in witchcraft etc... Spooky and good twist in the tail.

Then I read a Ken Follett book called Eye of the Needle ... was good but I kept seeing it in my mind's eye as a black and white film ... bit old fashioned thriller set in World War II about a spy ... good read. . bit of sex .. bit of intrigue.

anybody else read anything they would recommend?

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Hi Joy, Sue here. Just read revelation by C. J Sanson. It is part of a series of books about the same character and set in 1543. The first book in the series is Dissolution. It is very well written and incorporates historical fact with crime type fiction. It does get a bit gruesome and also deals with social conditions of the time, but having said this it is a page turner and I was sorry to finish it.
All the best Sue (Mrs Ed)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I've just read the trilogy by Robert Galbraith (j k Rowling) absolute page turners. Would recommend. Next is the girl on the train.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Kate furnivall- white pearl in particular but all of hers I enjoyed, also all of Victoria Hyslops are worth a read.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
If you like psychological thrillers try Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Hayes. Absolutely gripping.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow I just hope more charity shops start putting books in author alphabetical order .. quite a list there to start looking out for .. please keep em coming.

Hi @Mr Ed I love C J Sanson. At a charity shop in Stratford they had all his books and I didn't have my purse with me. :(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi everybody, I have tried the search engine and not found it. . I thought it was CWH who started a thread what was the last book you read and tell us about it.
Joy, the post was in the Group "Reviews and Rambles of Movies Books and TV Shows". It's probably better here though!
This was my post:

Well I've been reading some of the stuff - rubbish and otherwise - that we've picked up at campsite bookswaps. Mostly dire,"light-hearted" murder o_O mysteries.

Then I've also been reading some of the stuff that Him Indoors has bought on the quiet - John Grisham, Lee Childs. Better written, but violent. So I've had my fill for now of Rizzoli & Isles, Jack Reacher, and John Rebus.

Last time I was at my Dad's house I borrowed a couple of books by H E Bates, and I've just finished reading Fair Stood the Wind for France. It's a title I've always been aware of without knowing anything about it, so I felt it was time I read it. I found it really quite draining! I can't say I enjoyed it but I felt I owed it to - who? myself? - to finish it. The review on the back cover (Daily Telegraph) calls it "Perhaps the finest novel of the war". I'm not too sure about that; but it's certainly different!

Anyhow, I'll be glad to start the next H E Bates book - The Pop Larkin Chronicles!!! I think it probably couldn't be more different from Fair Stood the Wind. I do hope the books (starting with The Darling Buds of May) give me a warm feeling and a good laugh.
So I'm well into the Pop Larkin books and really enjoying them. Very conflicted though: you have to love Pop, Ma & the rest, but they do have some quite disturbing traits... food, drink, endless partying... perfick Funsters actually - just perfick! :LOL:

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I'm an avid fantasy and sci-fi reader.
Just finishing another David Gemmell book (about the 4th time I've read it).

Based loosely on Greek mythology.

I now have my books in ebook format as opposed to paper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back