rb panel van conversion begins ! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi,

I may have missed this, but what size inverter did you use please? I have a 600w microwave I'm tempted to use.... I have a 200W panel, and 260aH of batterys.....Not sure what size I need....

Great conversion by the way!

Alistair

Hi Alistar, My inverter is 1400 watts (pure sine wave). I dont have a microwave so cant comment on using one from an inverter.
I would have thought 1400 watts would be the minimum required to run a microwave though.You have plenty solar power with 200w
On a sunny day it may be ok to use for a few minutes. As @DBK says it might be ok for warming up something for a few mins.

Thanks for the comments on the van (y)
Just changed the leisure battery setup and battery to battery charger on Pug over the summer (y)
I realising the smart alternator wasn't AGM battery friendly :(

All sorted now so intend to update the build thread when winter kicks in (y)

Cheers.....Ralph

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi,

I may have missed this, but what size inverter did you use please? I have a 600w microwave I'm tempted to use.... I have a 200W panel, and 260aH of batterys.....Not sure what size I need....

Great conversion by the way!

Alistair
as the startup wattage of a microwave is double the rated wattage a 1400watt inverter would be needed to power the smallest of microwaves

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just changed the leisure battery setup and battery to battery charger on Pug over the summer (y)
Hi Ralph. :)

Is your reference to the "battery to battery" set up, to do with the Sterling B2B, or is yours a different set up please?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Alistar, My inverter is 1400 watts (pure sine wave). I dont have a microwave so cant comment on using one from an inverter.
I would have thought 1400 watts would be the minimum required to run a microwave though.You have plenty solar power with 200w
On a sunny day it may be ok to use for a few minutes. As @DBK says it might be ok for warming up something for a few mins.

Thanks for the comments on the van (y)

All sorted now so intend to update the build thread when winter kicks in (y)

Cheers.....Ralph

Are you changing the batteries to the super duper ones you were talking about Ralph, lithium ones.

May 5, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
VW T5 LWB 2.5Tdi
Exp
10 years
as the startup wattage of a microwave is double the rated wattage a 1400watt inverter would be needed to power the smallest of microwaves

Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes, I think I had read something like that before, I think if I get a 1500 psw unit it'll be OK I think.

Any microwave use would only be a few minutes anyway

Thought this would do, automatically switch to batteries if mains unplugged..

http://www.marc-ting.com/shop/produ...-pure-sine-power-inverter-with--ats--ups.html

Might be overkill...

Alistair

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes, I think I had read something like that before, I think if I get a 1500 psw unit it'll be OK I think.

Any microwave use would only be a few minutes anyway

Thought this would do, automatically switch to batteries if mains unplugged..

http://www.marc-ting.com/shop/produ...-pure-sine-power-inverter-with--ats--ups.html

Might be overkill...

Alistair
I have 3 x 110 ah batteries and also have a 1500W Pure sine inverter ( the one linked below ) , along with 300W of solar and a sterling b2b battery charger ( 60amp ) from memory.
We have yet to connect to an electric hook up in our 12+ weeks away in the MH as we always wild camp.
Our microwave is 800W (i'm sure) but we can run the microwave for 6- 8 mins a day and all is fine.
https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/pro...Sine_Wave_Sunshine_Power_Inverter/VP1500.html

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Since this build has been finished my life seems empty now - wondering around like a lost sole not knowing what to read or look at anymore, sure Ralph could have dragged it out a little longer, now that would be awesome, Bev cant you ask for some mods or if not break something so we can see his handy work once again :LOL: It was a great thread !

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Ralph. :)

Is your reference to the "battery to battery" set up, to do with the Sterling B2B, or is yours a different set up please?

Cheers,

Hi @JockandRita

The battery to battery charger i use now is from an Australian company called Redarc....www.redarc.com.au

This DC-DC charger ( www.redarc.com.au/in-vehicle-battery-charger-40a ) will accept voltages from 9-32v which is ok for a smart alternator we have on our van. The unit automatically recognises the type of leisure battery you have and adjusts its output to suit, in my case its AGM so they get the correct voltages and charge profile. This charger is a 3 stage charger and will charge up the new AGM`S to 100% (y)

This has been a big improvement on the more basic Victron Cyrix i used before....www.victronenergy.com/battery-isolators-and-combiners/cyrix-battery-combiners.

Great little unit with no fan and if needed can be mounted under the bonnet. I fitted mine in the void on the cab step near the vehicle battery.
Very easy to install, just needs the right size cable and fusing.

Cheers....Ralph

IMG_5252.JPG
IMG_5250.JPG
IMG_5253.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Are you changing the batteries to the super duper ones you were talking about Ralph, lithium ones.

Went with AGM`s again. The lithium battery's I had my eye on went up in price :eek:
So...had a change of plan....upgraded the B-2-B and fitted two Victron super cycle ( whaterver that is :LOL: ) battery's
Bit of a tight fit but after removing the front seats and building two support bases they slotted in nicely. We now have 340 AH to play with (y)
like Lithium, Victron state they can be totally discharged without damaging them :eek:.... dont think i will be trying it out.

Very pleased with the performance of them so far ;)

IMG_5158.JPG
IMG_5211.JPG
IMG_5213.JPG

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I have 3 x 110 ah batteries and also have a 1500W Pure sine inverter ( the one linked below ) , along with 300W of solar and a sterling b2b battery charger ( 60amp ) from memory.
We have yet to connect to an electric hook up in our 12+ weeks away in the MH as we always wild camp.
Our microwave is 800W (i'm sure) but we can run the microwave for 6- 8 mins a day and all is fine.
https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/pro...Sine_Wave_Sunshine_Power_Inverter/VP1500.html

Plenty solar power there @Bart (y)

Like i said we dont have a microwave but in the sunnier months use a low powered 240v kettle and a toaster :D2

I love it, Solar toast just tastes better :LOL:

It can be done, Just needs a decent size battery bank, sunshine and solar (y)
Lucky you getting 12+ weeks away in one stint. Take it your retired ??

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since this build has been finished my life seems empty now - wondering around like a lost sole not knowing what to read or look at anymore, sure Ralph could have dragged it out a little longer, now that would be awesome, Bev cant you ask for some mods or if not break something so we can see his handy work once again :LOL: It was a great thread !

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I do miss this banter....Must admit now the Pug is totally complete i wouldn't mind a smaller van project.

Maybe a smaller van for two people ?? Saw loads up in Scotland this year. On some sites we were the biggest unit in a PVC :eek:

Watch this space.....This time i will do a proper blog ;)

Nice to hear from you.....Cheers Ralph

Last edited:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Plenty solar power there @Bart (y)

Lucky you getting 12+ weeks away in one stint. Take it your retired ??
Lol retired I wish , nah when I said 12+ weeks I meant that's the total approx time in total that we have been away in the MH with that set up. :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Good grief Garry. :whatthe: It's only taken you 3.5 years to resurrect this thread. :whatthe: ................................ ;)

I'm glad you did. (y)

Cheers,

There must be a few doing conversions at the moment and this thread deserves to be on the front page for an example and reference on how to do a good job...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There must be a few doing conversions at the moment and this thread deserves to be on the front page for an example and reference on how to do a good job...
Agreed Garry, and having viewed the MH in question personally, I rate it better than any IH PVC I've looked over. (y)

Cheers,

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Amazing build, an inspiration to us, we are in the early stages of ours! If you donā€™t mind me asking, where did you get your curved locker doors from, please?

May 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
On the lookout
Exp
On and off since 2006
Just read this thread from the beginning, WOW, very impressed
with the quality of the build and the skill you have shown in doing it
Ralph-n-Bev A very rewarding and worthwhile outcome it seems.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Amazing build, an inspiration to us, we are in the early stages of ours! If you donā€™t mind me asking, where did you get your curved locker doors from, please?
Sorry just seen this , itā€™s probably too late now. The cupboard doors were from Magnums in Grimsby. šŸ‘

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I made some of ours and the drawer fronts, but bought the curved ones for the over head lockers. šŸ‘

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
That was a very good read, ace job! You are wasted as a bricklayer lolšŸ˜‡šŸ˜†, how is the heated unit coming along surely you must be very itchy to do another one.

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Ralph and Bev, just read your thread through for the first time (new member). Awesome job - especially as you were working full time on the day job. Just a couple of questions if you please:
What was the van weight fully loaded for a trip?
How did the underslung Whale water heater perform over the last 5 years?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph and Bev, just read your thread through for the first time (new member). Awesome job - especially as you were working full time on the day job. Just a couple of questions if you please:
What was the van weight fully loaded for a trip?
How did the underslung Whale water heater perform over the last 5 years?
Just seen this due to a link to the thread being resurrected, sorry, itā€™s probably too late for you now. We are floating around the 3.6 tonne but can go up to 4.25 tonnešŸ‘
The water heater has performed perfectly, flawless.
HTS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back