rb panel van conversion begins ! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thanks for all the input today (y) Its great to see people are interested in our project
Well today i haven't touched the new van at all. What we have done though is clear out the Mizar of all our bits and pieces.
We then gave her a thorough internal valet from top to bottom. I can honestly say she looks just as good today as she did five years ago when we bought it. Infact better as she has been totally refoamed and reupholstered.
She really has been a good solid family van for us. I also felt a bit sad as i locked her up, remembering all the good times we've had in her.
I'm sure the next person who owns her will have many more years of fun .
I was in two minds on the insulation. Kingspan or foam. Being a builder I can get kingspan for a good price and I know it's got excellent insulating property's. But whilst we were in the Mizar today, Cleaning. We've decided to do a bit more research into the foam, @dave newell lvs do you get someone in to do yours. Or do you have someone there who does it.
@mitzimad Could you pm details of the company you know please? It certainly would be a lot quicker. Although I wouldn't attempt it my self.
Terry thanks for the advice with the soap and water. I'm just going to over mask and use paper . To be on the safe side. Last thing I need is rusty bits on a brand new van.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Terry
I've seen the ads for it tonight.
I've been doing a bit of research . Why don't all the main manufacturers use spray foam ? If it's so good.
I know Ih use the black close cell foil backed foam now. Cos they showed us at the factory in Knottingly. I've thought of using that, or kingspan. But foam Comes up on a lot of the self build forums as an option too, to me it looks a really messy option.
I think I may forget kingspan and put at least 2 layers of the black close cell foam. It won't squeek.
What do you use Terry ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi Ralph forget the measuring twice bit Mask a couple of ins around your hole and offer up the window to make sure it fits :D;)
After you have made the cut have a bucket of warm soapy water ready to wash off any swarf that settles on the van (y) Left overnight and it soon turns into small rust spots that don't do the paint much good :)
terry

May I just say try holding whatever is going in the hole
hold it inside to see just what obstructions are present prior to cutting

What looks right on the outside may be a big problem inside

before cutting drill a hole in the centre of the wasted panel
Then measure a small hole is easier than a large panel to repair

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Last thing I need is rusty bits on a brand new van.
Particularly important if you are cutting any double skinned panels. The swarf drops between the skins & is impossible to remove. It attracts condensation & you have little rust seeds scattered in inaccessible spaces.

I'm told the tool of choice is a set of Bosch shears (other shears are available). Expensive though. I expect good tool hire places may have them available.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I've bought a Makita nibbler for the job. (y)
A friend of mine gave me a car side panel and I've been practicing. The swarf looks like loads of little toenails .
Before I cut anything I'm treble checking . I shall cut out the shape in ply. Then fit the window to it. If it's ok I'll offer that to the van.
This may be my first attempt at converting a van. But I've been in the building trade 35 years. Built houses from ground up, fitted kitchens , bathrooms, conservatories etcetcetc. So I'm very practically minded. I'm still open to any advice though.
The swarf dropping between double panels is something I shall make sure to watch out for . Thanks for that.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry
I've seen the ads for it tonight.
I've been doing a bit of research . Why don't all the main manufacturers use spray foam ? If it's so good.
I know Ih use the black close cell foil backed foam now. Cos they showed us at the factory in Knottingly. I've thought of using that, or kingspan. But foam Comes up on a lot of the self build forums as an option too, to me it looks a really messy option.
I think I may forget kingspan and put at least 2 layers of the black close cell foam. It won't squeek.
What do you use Terry ?
I use kingspan stuck with gun appied fixing foam 10 sheets of kspan 125 quid---- about 12 cans fix foam for tight places. Not sure on insulation properties of spray foam so stick to what I know works /////I thought about using all gun applied foam prob about 36 cans to do complete van/120 quid ish ///will get back when on comp and not on phone

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Sounds like your well prepared keep the updates coming:D:D

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks for all the input today (y) Its great to see people are interested in our project
Well today i haven't touched the new van at all. What we have done though is clear out the Mizar of all our bits and pieces.
We then gave her a thorough internal valet from top to bottom. I can honestly say she looks just as good today as she did five years ago when we bought it. Infact better as she has been totally refoamed and reupholstered.
She really has been a good solid family van for us. I also felt a bit sad as i locked her up, remembering all the good times we've had in her.
I'm sure the next person who owns her will have many more years of fun .
I was in two minds on the insulation. Kingspan or foam. Being a builder I can get kingspan for a good price and I know it's got excellent insulating property's. But whilst we were in the Mizar today, Cleaning. We've decided to do a bit more research into the foam, @dave newell lvs do you get someone in to do yours. Or do you have someone there who does it.
@mitzimad Could you pm details of the company you know please? It certainly would be a lot quicker. Although I wouldn't attempt it my self.
Terry thanks for the advice with the soap and water. I'm just going to over mask and use paper . To be on the safe side. Last thing I need is rusty bits on a brand new van.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Oops finger repeat trouble!

I did it myself, yes it is messy but if you plan out first and mask EVERYTHING you don't want it on (I used polythene sheet taped in place with wide masking tape) then go for it in one shot as it were. If you stop for more than 30 seconds you have to change the nozzle, that's how quickly it starts to cure. To my mind the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages of cost and messy job. here's a link to the relevant bit of my blog: Broken Link Removed

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I use kingspan stuck with gun appied fixing foam 10 sheets of kspan 125 quid---- about 12 cans fix foam for tight places. Not sure on insulation properties of spray foam so stick to what I know works /////I thought about using all gun applied foam prob about 36 cans to do complete van/120 quid ish ///will get back when on comp and not on phone

Terry, spray foam is basically the same stuff as Kingspan, closed cell polyurethane so insulation levels are about the same size for size but no mucking about gluing it in place, just mask everything off and spray (if you wear glasses use an old pair 'cos it gets on the lenses and for ever more you will have spots before your eyes, ask me how I know!:whistle: ).

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers Dave I found some for 240 quid inc vat I may give it a try in my own van. Just buying a spray glue pot to try////it's expensive but easy to use/time saving
Terry

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Cheers Dave I found some for 240 quid inc vat I may give it a try in my own van. Just buying a spray glue pot to try////it's expensive but easy to use/time saving
Terry

Is that glue for fitting carpet trim and the like? If so be aware that while the glue is quoted to work at above 6 deg C (I think, from memory) the glue canister needs to be at 18 deg C plus to work reliably. If its the same as the one I've got its really good quality kit but temperature sensitive.

D.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We have given the insulation of our van allot of thought as its one of the most important parts of the conversion.
Its nearly as important as choosing the right size fridge to fit the beers in :LOL::LOL:
I have been reading up on all the different types available and have also seen what the main manufacturers use.
We have taken on all the valuable comments from the forum and finally decided on....

Broken Link Removed

I intend to stick this straight on to the vans interior shell. This will form my first layer of insulation and vapor barrier.
This is the sort of thing the big manufacturers use such as IH and Globecar but a little thicker at 10 mm.
On top of this i will be applying a second layer of Kingspan / Celotex type material. This will be a minimum of 25 mm and in some areas around 50mm. This will be stuck using a high temperature adhesive. Some areas of the van are very hard to insulate using the above products so i will be using sheep's wool and gun applied expanding foam (y)

Today i ordered the S4 Seitz windows from CAK tanks, we have these on the Mizar and have always been impressed with their thermal qualities.
CAK have shipped the windows overnight for me so i will have them for the weekend. Saturday morning i will be out and about collecting 8 x 4 sheets of ply and insulation.

Just need a break in the weather to get started (y) The van has been under two inch of snow for a couple of days now :(

Thanks.....Ralph

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You did well getting CAK to deliver that quickly! They have a fantastic range and stock and they're relly nice people to deal with face to face but we've always found their online or telephone ordering service to be abysmal.

I look forward ot watching your conversion take shape.

D.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Just need a break in the weather to get started (y) The van has been under two inch of snow for a couple of days now :(
Thanks.....Ralph[/QUOTE]
You can borrow our gazebo if you like:)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You did well getting CAK to deliver that quickly! They have a fantastic range and stock and they're relly nice people to deal with face to face but we've always found their online or telephone ordering service to be abysmal.
I look forward ot watching your conversion take shape.

D.
I too was a bit surprise at overnight delivery, its not like i paid extra for it (y)
Lets see if they turn up today.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks.....Ralph
You can borrow our gazebo if you like:)[/QUOTE]

That's very kind of you, i will be round this afternoon.....Get the kettle on :LOL:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning Dave it's a 17kg glue pot instead of spray cans -although I can get the cans a lot cheaper (£26 for 12) I just fancy one :D Mate gets 3 vans out of a pot gluing almost everything with it inc insulation -thanks for the advice re temps (y)
Ralph the same applies to the foil foam it needs to be warm inside the van for it to stick good -I used it yrs ago and still have a few 12 ins x 30 ins x 1 ins strips on the shelf in the garage -makes good anti noise mounting for water pumps etc :)-I now stick the Kingspan straight onto van sides with the gun applied foam and squirt it into all the joints/strengthening bars etc-in fact anywhere there's a hole to fill -after an hour or so I shove the nossel through any small gaps/joins and give it a good blast-again the gun foam works and expands a lot better when hot so I keep the can in a bucket of hot water even in warm weather (y) Forgot to say (and its too late now )Penine leisure are cheapest for windows and it worth asking about lots of other stuff
terry

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
One little detail I use which may help with your electrical installation is to use domestic sink waste pipe as conduit. you can usually drill through stiffening ribs with a hole saw to put it in but with planning you can use all the available fittings (tees,elbows etc) to provide large ducts for all your wiring. It makes installing the wiring and adding stuff later much easier and provides protection for the wires from drilling and screws.

D.

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Lovely van. We did our transit but it came with Windows. Started February and went out in it in May. Both working full time. It wasn't completely finished but self builds never are. Always a new idea to 'add on'
All the stuff used by converters can be bought easily.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
ralph & bev sounds like you're going about this the right way..i'm impressed! I wish some of the manufacturers were as thorough. neither adria or Possl (globecar/possl) insulate either the sliding or rear doors.:cautious:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Use a "nibbler" for the holes you have to cut, its what the motor trade use when retro fitting sun roofs and it leaves a lovely "clean" edge and drops no "bits".. It removes a 4mm wide roll of metal... The old ones used to work off a compressor, but I'm sure they will have electric ones by now.. It does do a super job..
Good luck and hats off to you !!
Mitch.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you considered removing the back doors and replacing with a fixed panel ?

I always think they just look like a van with the back doors whereas I saw one with a fixed real and big window and it looked fantastic. You also get no draughts, better insulation, stronger real for a bike rack and potential of a nice big window.

Having seen a bike rack on a van back door twist the door like it was a bean can I'm not impressed with back doors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back