rb panel van conversion begins ! (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I actually converted an ex-ambulance so totally understand the problem - getting the first 'square' sections is key and worth spending the time to get it right. This was the first time I'd ever done anything like this so it wasn't as 'sophisticated' as both your offerings, but we loved it!

View attachment 58870

Hi Mel.
It's the first time I've done anything like this as well. So it's a complete learning curve for me.
But I'm enjoying every minute of it. (y)
Just finished for the day , got a bit more done. As for using a level, I couldn't rely on the van staying level.
So I'm using set squares of different sizes. It's not so much the base units that are the problem, in mine .
You've done an ambulance , so it's quite square I'm guessing.
Our boxer has tapering curved walls. The ceiling has a curve as well. I could make that flat but Bev is 5'11"! So I've Got to keep as much height as I can too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately I haven't got any more photos of it. The large 'door' cupboard is actually a toilet compartment (with porta potty) which I designed so that when the door to the compartment was open to about 45 degrees a bar on the back of it could be swung out and attached to the other side wall of the compartment and a shower curtain pulled across (not a clear one!) to form a larger 'room' thus enabling it to be used as it wasn't deep enough on it's own - at least it meant we could have a toilet compartment rather than having to use a toilet tent!

I'd love to do another conversion but hubby won't let me ... :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Mel.
It's the first time I've done anything like this as well. So it's a complete learning curve for me.
Just finished for the day , got a bit more done. As for using a level, I couldn't rely on the van staying level.
So I'm using set squares of different sizes. It's not so much the base units that are the problem, in mine .
Our boxer has tapering curved walls. The ceiling has a curve as well. I could make that flat but Bev is 5'11"! So I've Got to keep as much height as I can too.
Guess again! o_O It might look square but it had quite a taper and it was a pain as all the units had to be tapered to fit ... you can see it a bit more in this photo of me having a well earned cup of tea!

4.jpg

I don't think I did too badly though bearing in mind that the only electric tools I had were an old drill and a dilapidated old jigsaw which could cut lovely curvy lines ... just not when I wanted them as it had a mind of it's own! In the end I used hand tools for most of it ... oh how I wished for a cordless screwdriver but as this was back in 1997/98 they weren't available then!

I had a foolproof method for checking how much freshwater we had in the tank which was under one of the side seats ... I drilled a hole in the top of it (with a suitable bung to seal it again!) and used to stick a piece of dowel in it until it reached the bottom! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Mel.
It may be your first but I am seriously impressed ... it appears to be a lot better than some of the so called 'professional' conversions I've seen!!!! Perhaps you and Terry were twins separated at birth??? :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
It may be your first but I am seriously impressed ... it appears to be a lot better than some of the so called 'professional' conversions I've seen!!!! Perhaps you and Terry were twins separated at birth??? :)

Thanks Mel. You did a great job too on yours. I'm guessing you don't have it any more? The edging strips and round corner profiles make the job look more professional. Plus there are some great tools to help you now a days too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Mel. You did a great job too on yours. I'm guessing you don't have it any more? The edging strips and round corner profiles make the job look more professional. Plus there are some great tools to help you now a days too.
You trying to make me feel old!!!! :rolleyes: I modelled the furniture on the way that Autosleeper used to build their van conversions as we had an old Commer pop-top at the time (wonderful old thing but too small) so this was only our second one and I had very limited knowledge of them, but as I'd fitted a few kitchens and built fitted wardrobes etc I thought I'd have a go! When we got it it had been totally stripped out of any of the original fixtures with just a couple of bits of rough plywood seat bases plonked in, a manky old plastic caravan sink, and a cooker, I think this was so it could be re-registered as a motorhome! All I kept was the cooker which was brilliant and much better than the modern equivalent IMV. Getting the dividing panel out behind the cab was 'interesting' but it made a heck of a difference. I well remember being in there every night and weekend over winter getting it done though ... and getting 'high' on the varnish fumes! :confused:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Yes , I'm glad of this warm weather. When I was sticking the veltrim on the ply, it was a bit powerful !
Saying that this morning I had a heater on in there. It was 6 am though !
It's been easier for me as it's been a new van . So a blank canvas to work off too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Stop ... I'm SOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!

I wanna do one .... whaaaaa, whaaaa, whaaaaa :yawn: .... stomps feet on floor!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
M.G you are a super girl. there are to many on here that make me look stupid. or maybe its because I am.

emberto1946

Free Member
Apr 12, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Looks really good! Got my spanners tingling again. I remember starting my first 'cut' and it is daunting. I was coveting your armrests - I can't seem to source any and also your conversion to Cruise Control. Did you do that yourself? My son and I have done a couple of Passats' in the past but not 100% sure my 2002 Ducato base is convertible. It seems to have 'fly-by-wire' throttle but not sure what else. Not had it long enough to spend time 'digging' yet.

Best of luck, will follow with interest!

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Well Guys, what can I say that hasn't already been said!
Only just picked up this thread this morning, sat an read the whole thing (now got neck ache) Only break was 2 hours in to make a cuppa and toast.
Ralph it is A-MaZing... I feel as proud as punch for you both. BTW if you need any more stuff from Kenny I can go pick it up and bring it to Whitby with us, likewise I have got 2 outdoor hi(ish)backed Garden bean bags if you would like to borrow them as seating if for whatever reason you cannot get the foam from Terry?
Didn't realise you were here in Cleethorpes, next time Ralph that you decide to stay away, don't bother with B&B you are always welcome to stop at ours.
Looking forward to seeing you both soon

Love n Hugs
Andrea n Jeff
xxx

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Its looking really superb, absolutely top end conversion ( in fact better than that because I can see that you have taken the time to complete every little detail to 100%) well done! Hope to see it in its flesh at some point too.(y)
PS Don't let I.H. see it you'll send him on a right downer...

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Looks really good! Got my spanners tingling again. I remember starting my first 'cut' and it is daunting. I was coveting your armrests - I can't seem to source any and also your conversion to Cruise Control. Did you do that yourself? My son and I have done a couple of Passats' in the past but not 100% sure my 2002 Ducato base is convertible. It seems to have 'fly-by-wire' throttle but not sure what else. Not had it long enough to spend time 'digging' yet.

Best of luck, will follow with interest!

Hi, thanks for taking interest in our project. I have to say i am surprised at the number of people posting on this thread (y)
I thought only self builders would find it interesting. Its great to read all the positive and at times humorous posts :LOL:

The armrest come as standard but this shop sells them,

http://campingequipmentshop.co.uk/i...september-2006-ducato-arm-r-02-06/p_1043.html

The cruise control was an upgrade done when manufactured. This is way out of my league to convert :LOL:
Hope you get sorted out.

Thanks.....Ralph

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well Guys, what can I say that hasn't already been said!
Only just picked up this thread this morning, sat an read the whole thing (now got neck ache) Only break was 2 hours in to make a cuppa and toast.
Ralph it is A-MaZing... I feel as proud as punch for you both. BTW if you need any more stuff from Kenny I can go pick it up and bring it to Whitby with us, likewise I have got 2 outdoor hi(ish)backed Garden bean bags if you would like to borrow them as seating if for whatever reason you cannot get the foam from Terry?
Didn't realise you were here in Cleethorpes, next time Ralph that you decide to stay away, don't bother with B&B you are always welcome to stop at ours.
Looking forward to seeing you both soon

Love n Hugs
Andrea n Jeff
xxx

Hi Andrea & Jeff, its great to hear from you and hope your both well.
The Pug.....Its been a long time dream of ours and its coming together week by week (y)

When its done we will have to have you all round for a party :party2: :beerchug: :party2:.........one at a time though its a camper van not an RV :LOL:

Didn't realise you were in Cleethorpes either, or i would have been round like a shot :LOL::LOL: Anyway the jobs done now but thank you so much for the offer. Looking forward to Whitby meet so will catch up with you both then (y)

Hugs to you too R n B xx

P.S Will be in touch if we need the bean bags.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I wish.

Hi Jez & Lin, Thanks for the compliments :)

Am i right in thinking we have spoken or met before ? your avatar rings a bell. But I can't make out your faces.
Glad you like the conversion so far. I am trying to do things right first time even if it takes time.

Hope you get to see it one day.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
/Oooops trying to put some pictures on. Bare with me .....:doh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi everyone, In the last set of pictures i was on the top storage lockers.
The top lockers are now complete apart from the doors. Just waiting on the hinges to arrive for the second time....
ordered the wrong ones first time :doh:

Also complete is the panel above the door where the battery monitor, Inverter controller and other switches will be mounted (y)
Got home early on Monday so made a start on the bed / seating area. Hope to finish that part this weekend.
Really pleased with what got done during my week off. Starting to think about plumbing and the electrics. I will update you on this later.
For now here is a few pictures of the lockers and beds.

Cheers.....Ralph

IMG_5804[1].JPG
IMG_5777[1].JPG
IMG_5779[1].JPG
IMG_5800[1].JPG
IMG_5796[1].JPG

D

DM14742

Deleted User

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I wish.

Hi Jez & Lin, Thanks for the compliments :)

Am i right in thinking we have spoken or met before ? your avatar rings a bell. But I can't make out your faces.
Glad you like the conversion so far. I am trying to do things right first time even if it takes time.

Hope you get to see it one day.
Hi
Yes we tried to arrange for you to come round to ours to see our self build (Campervan) in Horbury when you first posted that you were going to do your own. Sadly we never managed to find a time we were all available.
In the meantime we have moved to York after 30 years of living and working in the Wakefield area. I spent most of my Fire Service career down at Brunswick Street and Lin worked at Pinderfields.
I am hoping to arrange a Rally in York next year so if we don't meet up before maybe you would be up for that?
All the best with the rest of the conversion, honestly I think you'll end up with 60K's worth of Van there its brill.
Cheers, Jez & Linda

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Cant say anymore than i have already Ralph, but each set of pics is really starting to show the detail of this build and how much time and effort you have applied to it - you must be chuffed to bits with what you have achieved already ;) Great work Great job just soldier on - when its finished i aint gonna have anything to follow on here - unless you do another :LOL::LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Tell you what mate, for a brickie, you're a bloody good carpenter!!!! Me and Gerri are well impressed, it looks absolutely fab :clap::clap::clap:

My grandma said
" if you can't marry a rich man , marry a man that can!"
Ralph certainly wasn't rich, when I met him.
But he's renovated all our houses , never been out of work as a builder , been a great husband and dad and got us to where we are today.
I'm so proud of him.:inlove:
The pictures don't Pug justice. He really is doing a fantastic job.
Pug's so solid and finished off perfectly. I can't fault it.
Believe me I look !
He's working so hard though, I do worry , he's lost loads of weight and he didn't need to. His skinny jeans he wears for Goth weekend aren't skinny anymore !

There are people that poo poo self builds . I'd love those people to see this one.
I'm sure once we've taken Pug to Regal Furnishing to do the upholstery , he'd hold his own along side any other Professionally built PVC. By the time Ralphs put all the extra Man gadgets in too , well ........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back