Ray Mears brands caravans 'hideous' - and is then axed as motorhome show speaker

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 2
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Ha ha ha..well said that man, have always liked him:)

A proper Boy Scout.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That's a bit mean spirited.. he spoke the truth .. there are acres of statics all along some coastlines and they do look hideous.

I like him a lot.. a self made outdoors man who actually does what he says.. not like that other clown Bear Grylls who stays in hotels while 'on location' ..also been appointed Chief Scout .. a celebrity showman.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

I can't think why they would want to pay anyone that amount to spout off for a few minutes.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I think he is referring to the Stalag system of static caravans rather than tourers and motor homes !
    On the coast they are a blot on the landscape I.M.O.
    :reel::reel::reel: :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

OOPS ! Just seen Scotty Jims post !!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I don't think he will miss the 10k the bad publicity will make him more true woodsman a man of the country.
    if those statics weren't there would be more places to go wilding at the sea side
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  7. busby

busby Funster

Cant all be motorhomers. The masses of static vans provide inexpensive holidays for thousands of people who can neither afford or want to travel like most of us.....BUSBY.

• Like Like x 7
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that may be so, but still hideous..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

and most static sites are owned by crooks and shysters who rip off there costumers on a yearly basis
    bill

• Like Like x 6
  10. busby

busby Funster

10k is nothing to him. His knives sell at £400 plus and there is a waiting list. STUPID COMMENT THOUGH. BUSBY.

11. busby

busby Funster

Same comment could be said about many Motorhome Dealers.....BUSBY.

12. chaser

chaser Funster

Waiting list because It takes so long to make them out of an old bean tin and a bent stick

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

what's stupid a he wont miss the and the last bit is a bit of fun
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I actually agree with you that is true most in fact

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I never saw the attraction in either watching his programmes or in having "celebrity" speakers at trade shows :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. busby

busby Funster

Ment his comment was stupid...not yours...BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  17. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

As a Yorkshireman, (with a Scots mother), who is currently undertaking missionary work in Cornwall, attempting to train the locals how NOT to spend money. (Easy work)

I have to say;
    "he won't get a £10,000 appearance fee"

HOW MUCH!!!

• Like Like x 4
  18. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Tuesday, 20, Jan 2015 11:39
    by Joe Jeffrey
    Ray Mears expresses his dislike of caravans and caravanners during Room 101 rant

With less than a month to go before the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 2015, special guest speaker Ray Mears has hit out in a scathing attack on the caravanning community.
    Appearing on BBC One show, Room 101, where celebrities compete to have their pet hates banished forever, Mears, 50, has nominated the caravan as his number one peeve.
    On the subject of caravans, the bushtrail and survivalist expert said: "I just think they're hideous. Huge swathes of our coastline are just covered in these things."
    Describing caravans as something akin to "mobile breadbins", Mears went on: "I wouldn't mind so much if they could be painted green, but they have to be painted white.
    "You go down to Devon and all you can see are cities of these displaced urban people in their ghastly white caravans."
    Ironically enough, Mears also chose to send "fakes" to Room 101, stating: "I can't stand fakes of any description.
    "I like reality, and the world seems to be increasingly full of make-believe fakery and I think we should be aware."
    Hmmm. so let's get this straight; Mears can't stand fakery of any kind, but is more than happy to stand in front of a sea of caravanners whilst talking about the virtues of this popular pastime, having previously expressed a strong dislike for them? Pot, kettle Ray?
    In light of Mears' comments, show organisers, the National Caravan Council (NCC) exclusively told CaravanTimes: "We were planning promotional activity at the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show using Ray Mears and we were disappointed to hear his recent comments made on television about caravans.
    "Consequently the activity with Ray is under review. Having said that we would like to extend an open invitation for Ray to take a holiday in a caravan which will show him what a fantastic experience it actually is and how it enables millions of people to enjoy the great outdoors."
    If the NCC does decide to allow Mears to remain as special guest speaker at the show, we can't help but feel as though the outspoken toff may need to bring the best of his survival skills to the stage in order to fend off the swathe of angry "urban people" in attendance. Isn't that worth the admission price alone? If so, get your tickets here now!
    CaravanTimes has reached out to Mears for comment and we'll be sure to update you, should he decide to come down from his tree house anytime soon.
    Meanwhile check out his outspoken appearance on Room 101 below (the caravan assault starts around the 22 minute mark) and let us know what you think. Would you give Ray the time of day?
    http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/...van-camping-motorhome-show-2015-$21385012.htm

Ray Mears brands caravans 'hideous' - and is then axed as motorhome show speaker
    The TV survival star is told he won't get a £10,000 appearance fee after being dropped from the Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show in Birmingham
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...er-branding-caravans-hideous-and-elitist.html

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Too late was the cry, the boss beat you.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Love Kharma!