Rapido . . . . . . . Would I buy another? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Mine's coming up to 2 years old and it's been fantastic. I can't fault the build quality at all.

The only issue it's had was a very minor drip on the shower tap. New one sent out under warranty and a 20 minute job to swap it over so no big deal there.

Oh and the Alde fluid needed topping up.

That's it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So Rapido people, is the outer skin of the roof really a floating layer of fibreglass and if so how do Rapido recommend that you fit the likes of solar a sat dome/dish, it would not seem right to me just to stick them down without any connection to the roof sub structure.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So Rapido people, is the outer skin of the roof really a floating layer of fibreglass and if so how do Rapido recommend that you fit the likes of solar a sat dome/dish, it would not seem right to me just to stick them down without any connection to the roof sub structure.

Martin

I don't think that it is, at least not any more. I can walk around on mine which I don't think I would be able to do if it really was just a floating skin of fibreglass. I remember the dealer at the time making a big thing of how the roofs are constructed but I can't remember exactly what he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010

Martin

Oh dear, I must have made it all up then, just to fill space on the page, doh!

The solar panels are stuck to the roof with Sikafix, (not sure about the spelling), or a similar adhesive.
If you walk on the roof of the Rapido you can feel it is not fully attatched to the inner roof.
To demonstrate it the guy who will be doing the repairs was on a ladder at the back of the van, lent across grabbed hold of the panel and bounced it up and down slightlly, being on another ladder at the side of the van I could see it happening and could hear it.

As I have said before, we love the van but recent problems make me wonder whether, once they're sorted, we should change it for another make with a similar lay-out, but, as with most retired folks our funds are not limitless and the fear is that we might be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Scattycat sorry I was not suggesting that you were making this up, it was a question to other Rapido owners re the floating roof and fixing things to it as your experience would suggest it is not a good idea to stick things on.

Since my previous post I have done a bit of googling which certainly confirms that Rapido's (not sure about all) have this floating roof, I also found a report of work on this type of roof at Rapido factory and they fixed things like solar and sat domes on with just Sikaflex and indeed this is the recommended way according to Rapido technical as any screws through into the sub structure would stop the roof from working to accommodate expansion and contraction.

To answer what was I believe your original question NO if it was me I think this experience would put me off buying another, or if I did I would certainly think twice about putting stuff on the roof, which in itself would stop me from buying one.

Martin

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
It's not my intention to be, too, rude to fellow members, but, although it is always good to get a lively debate in response to threads and benefitting from the wealth of information from contributors I do find it irritating when the uninformed think they know better than the informed.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013

Martin
They must have faith in the strength, sooooo many Rapidos out there

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Next time I go over to my van I will make a point of climbing on to the roof and see if I can determine whether or not mine is like that.

I won't really bother me either way though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought you loved your Rapido Mike.:)
I know it's a bit more difficult to import to France but have you considered looking at the German market for a replacement it could cut down the financial outlay and no exchange rate risk for you.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have a floating roof on my 9048 obviously the roof lights are fixed to it as are the roof rails fitted by Rapido which are screwed down. My solar panel is sikaflexed and screwed too as if this was simply stuck I am sure it would cause the floating roof to lift when travelling as surely would something more substantial like a dome. The use of screws in small areas I imaging will only stop the roof flexing or expanding in that area and will not affect the remainder of the roof. If it's OK to fix down the floating roof where roof lights are fitted I cannot see a problem in fixing it down anywhere else and in eight years of ownership I haven't had a problem with the roof fixings. I certainly would not let this, for me, a non issue stop me buying another Rapido.

Only problems have been a leaky window which was removed and resealed, simple job. Bathroom sink tap replaced, Again a simple job and bathroom lock repaired by local locksmith. The curtain above the bed lost its elasticity on the French pleats so we took it off removed the pleats and cut the drop to fit exactly then fitted elastic sown on loops on the bottom to attach it to the bed and give some flexibility.

That's it, we are away five months of the year so over seven years we have lived in it for three of them in total so it's stood up very well to that amount of use. the layout of the 9048 suits us perfectly with its big lounge area and I have not seen anything we would change it for.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes it is a floating skin of grp
So a leak in one place can find its way through in another
The structure is just a very thin skin of aluminium on dense foam with 4mm ply on the inside
There is more than enough stuff on mine that it doesn't bounce about at all and at same age is completely fine

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Today right now
image.jpeg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The skin can expand so much in hot weather that I've seen some examples very badly distorted.
My own is completely fine
image.jpeg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Having been on my roof I did notice it being a floated panel, I have screwed down sat dish and solar and it's ten years old so no probs so far....

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I thought you loved your Rapido Mike.:)
I know it's a bit more difficult to import to France but have you considered looking at the German market for a replacement it could cut down the financial outlay and no exchange rate risk for you.

Yep, you're right Lenny, the layout and internal fit-out of our Rapido is, in the main, great, just what we'd been looking for. Unfortunately a couple of, to us, major problems have made us think that once they are sorted it might be time to see what else is around in our price bracket.
As for looking at German sites, sounds like a good idea. Are there any you would recommend?

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Personally it's the layout I love of the Rapido especially the 9097/9096 etc with swivels captains chair sep and 2 bench /l bench seats make for a fantastic lounge. IMHO. Not been able to find a different manufacture with similar lounge and build quality within year/price bracket. Just payload don't like but that can be upgraded.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
It's not my intention to be, too, rude to fellow members, but, although it is always good to get a lively debate in response to threads and benefitting from the wealth of information from contributors I do find it irritating when the uninformed think they know better than the informed.
Living up to ones name I see, i too am surprised about the floating roof and I think @funflair comments were aimed at other owners opinions about what they do when attaching accessories to the roof
As to being uninformed my experience of funflair contribution on the forum is the complete opposite of this

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This is Rapido roof build. The aluminium is about 0.03mm thick and you can see the GRP anti hail skin is floating above it.
CA_10071416300151-L.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep, you're right Lenny, the layout and internal fit-out of our Rapido is, in the main, great, just what we'd been looking for. Unfortunately a couple of, to us, major problems have made us think that once they are sorted it might be time to see what else is around in our price bracket.
As for looking at German sites, sounds like a good idea. Are there any you would recommend?

Link Removed is the best German site practically every German dealer lists on there and most of the private sales are listed on there.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If I start walking on my roof,...... Call me Jesus ....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
If I start walking on our roof call me a badly injured fat idiot when it gives way.......

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This is what I found when I removed the rear corner panel. How has this managed to not short the circuit in 8 yrs ?
Connection for side marker light.
Is this quality control? sub contract labour on price work? shit whatever
image-L.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back