Rapido . . . . . . . Would I buy another? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Probably not!
We spent a long time deciding what our next motorhome was going to be. We needed a central bed and a larger garage than our previous one and the 7090 ticked most of the boxes.
But based on build quality, would I buy another Rapido?
Probably not.
I accept that nearly all motorhomes have some manufacturing defects, whether in the main shell and habitation fit-out, or external suppliers fittings, whethter their owners realise it or not.
But we've had a couple of problems recently with our 8 year old Rapido that, to be honest are not wear and tear but, in my opinion, basic design faults.
So, the problem is, once the present defect is rectified do I sell and if so what to replace it with?
Bearing in mind funds are a litle limited

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Dunno what your previous one is but how about a 9090df...

9090df_day_layout.jpg

Island bed. Garage plenty big enough for me to carry loads of crap that I don't really need.

Did you have any other problems with yours other than layout?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Same as his 7090C and my 7090F
EXCEPT mine has a triple floor bedroom

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Well we jumped in after 2 years of research reading etc and bought a 881F and so far, after 9 weeks in Europe since March can't fault it. If/when we replace we will obviously consider Rapido but will look at what is in the market as well.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
spent a lot of time researching Rapidos ,i did not come across any real complaints
Internal freshwater tanks leak and cause a MAJOR strip down issue to replace.
Happened to mine early in its life before I got it. Quite a few on the net so probably a lot more not advertised

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Internal freshwater tanks leak and cause a MAJOR strip down issue to replace.
Happened to mine early in its life before I got it. Quite a few on the net so probably a lot more not advertised
im hoping that Rapido have resolved that issue

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Can't be - there's no quality control in MH manufacturing is there?
Not all employees have the same level of skill or care and often temporary. It's just bad design that they fit a poorly designed tank in a place that makes it so hard to replace

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Surely a basic design fault would manifest itself before 8 years of use or am I being unreasonable?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Surely a basic design fault would manifest itself before 8 years of use or am I being unreasonable?
The fault is reliant on the fitter cutting the support legs to the correct length square and deburred before standing the tank on them. Rapidos solution would be to advise not travelling with water in it :LOL::mad:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I imagine that the 8 years is less important than the miles travelled and with what care and attention as it must be the vibration/movement that has caused the support legs to puncture the tank.

What manufacturer does not suggest not travelling with more than about 20 litres of water?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The advice when travelling in Europe is to always fill up as you don't know where the next opportunity will be. The 20 litres is a weight thing for your payload. I don't have to skimp on payload and its not fit for purpose if you can't travel with 100 litres.
Also I don't recall Rapido specifying in the manual not to travel with a full water tank as it might leak :LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
The present problem is that on the roof at the rear of the van about 3 or 4" from the edge and in line with the bike rack, the gel coat is breaking up in 2 large areas.
Apparently, it happens because the outer roof fabric is not attched to the internal wooden roof, it just floats on top of it. So, for example, when a solar panel is fitted it is just attatched to the outer plastic and under certain conditions will bounce up and down and cause the gel coating to crack.
Also, even though we have re-sealed around all the roof fittings and joints, we are getting a small amount of water ingress, so my thought is, although I have been assured otherwise, the damage is deeper than the gel coat
We also have an intermittant problem with the erg valve, but that's mechanical and I'll sort it out at a later date.
When the all is well we love the van but the problems over the past 5 or 6 months has somewhat taken the shine of our enjoyment.
Hey, ho, such is life, I'm sure all will be sorted out in the end, after all it's only money

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Dunno what your previous one is but how about a 9090df...

View attachment 105234
Island bed. Garage plenty big enough for me to carry loads of crap that I don't really need.

Did you have any other problems with yours other than layout?

It's not the layout, it's basically the same as the A class 9090.
It's the longterm build quality. (See my reply to Tecno)

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
love ours, nice build quality, stylish design still looks great inside and out. Garage that takes our scooter. 2007 Rapido 7097f . Only thing I would change is the transverse bed up above the garage I love @Techno 's bed layout but it is at the expence of smaller garage so could not take another vehicle without towing. Still maybe find the perfect motorhome if there is one next time not loooking any time soon though!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Have a look at the Ixeo it 728G
It's the ixeo 734G with the island bed techno, currently waiting on mine, some nice design features they have come up with including the drop down lengthwise bed at the front, neat
Like any van you can get both design and manufacturing faults no matter who builds them, surprising since a lot of them have been doing it for years but keep making basic mistakes

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
9083DF Double across the rear ,drop down over cab .Only ever had to fit alternator and two struts to drop down bed, apart from2 solar panels. Love it lol.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's the ixeo 734G with the island bed techno, currently waiting on mine, some nice design features they have come up with including the drop down lengthwise bed at the front, neat
Like any van you can get both design and manufacturing faults no matter who builds them, surprising since a lot of them have been doing it for years but keep making basic mistakes
No it's the one I said
Full garage and two single beds

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
My 999m 2009 is something else. .
A real love hate relationship.
Great van and well crafted but don't forget your tool kit
Here's my list of issues in year 1 of ownership.

Sealant failed on roof. .spotted early replaced by myself.

Bathroom door fell off...hinges not up to job fir quality wood used. ..fixed by my self.

Bathroom door handle broke. ...fixed by locksmith and good job too as replacement lock was 200 pound

Hab door lock snapped on inside fixed for just 50 pound thanks to info supplied by @Red Dragon dealer quote 600 pound.

Bed collapsed in moment of passion ....fixed by myself due to brackets not being man enough. .

Fridge lock broke. .repaired by me

Numerous squeaks from dash part of the character.

Impossible to clean the black lines off.

Despite all the above I'm looking out my window at it now and love it. .the quality of the wood is second to none it drives superb is as warm as toast in the alps skiing...

And I just love it ..every single bit of it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back