Rapido V55 - 6m. van conversion (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Going to look at one tomorrow, considering downsizing from a 7m. coachbuilt.
If anybody has got one, would appreciate any feedback.
(Sorry, short notice!)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have the V66 and love it, the only problem we have is the silly bathroom door lock that Rapido used and have hopefully discontinued using

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not the V55, but we've got the V68, which we bought new six months ago.

Different layout, but otherwise similar characteristics. We love it!

Ours is 6.4 metres long, so a bit bigger than 6m V55. It's got fixed twin single beds, which are superb. You'll like the big fridge, and I think the bathroom and wardrobe in the V55 are clever.

The wardrobe in ours is a bit of a compromise, but otherwise all good. Although narrower than our previous coach built, we much prefer it.

The only other potential compromise, though not an issue for us - it is sold as a '3 berth', which is a bit of a joke in my opinion. A degree in mechanical engineering or good Meccano skills would be an asset for constructing the one in ours. We've tossed all the bits and pieces in the roof because we don't need a third bed - and just not practical in any case. Might be different on the V55, but if it is important to you get it demonstrated and consider the amount of storage space it will take up.

Final point, we wanted a 6m van, but for various reasons ended up with just under 6.4m. Turns out it is still much better to drive than our previous coachbuilts. Easy in towns, villages and down the lanes...

Anything specific you want to know, just pm me. Good luck with the viewing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We have the V66 and love it, the only problem we have is the silly bathroom door lock that Rapido used and have hopefully discontinued using
No I don't think so, it is still on the 2017 V68 model - it looks very similar, and I agree it is a bit annoying - near impossible to eradicate the rattles. Ours is an identical lock to the one we had on our old 2004 Rapido!

But I think it is possibly different on the V55?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We looked briefly at the V55 before deciding we needed a 5.4m van. If I remember right it was a nice van and Highbridge sell them, but it could have been a little tight on payload out of the box? 495kg if I've recorded it right. Can be uprated by paper exercise though - I think.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to all for replies.
It's the separate shower that we like about this particular van conversion, with the clever way the wardrobe "lives" there when not in use. And the big fridge.
Payload according to an MMM review in August is 609kg.
Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Visit put on hold as FiL taken ill, gone to hospital.
BTW, the review I mentioned does talk about a rattly toilet door, so it seems to be a common fault across models.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Eventful day. Looks like FiL unlikely to be able to return to his own home, so many discussions ahead as to what he wants instead.
However, then got to the dealer who has the V55. Had a good root around, got on and off bed several times, took pretend showers and, er, dumps and so on.
Loved it, bought it.:Eeek:
Now just need to get all the stuff out of our Apache, work out what we don't really need, and where the rest can go. But the V55 has loads of storage, so not worried.
Checked toilet door carefully, yes it will rattle but I think it should be fixable.
Oooooh, exciting. :D2

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Eventful day. Looks like FiL unlikely to be able to return to his own home, so many discussions ahead as to what he wants instead.
However, then got to the dealer who has the V55. Had a good root around, got on and off bed several times, took pretend showers and, er, dumps and so on.
Loved it, bought it.:Eeek:
Now just need to get all the stuff out of our Apache, work out what we don't really need, and where the rest can go. But the V55 has loads of storage, so not worried.
Checked toilet door carefully, yes it will rattle but I think it should be fixable.
Oooooh, exciting. :D2
Hey, well done - we really like our Rapido van and hope it will be the same for you! (y)

You probably noted it has an outdoor shower as well as the indoor one. But you're right, that wardrobe is pretty cool.

Have fun...

PS Sorry to hear about FIL.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations on your new van!
Sorry to hear about your FIL and hope all can be resolved very soon.
Is the V55 the one with the swing out wardrobe from the shower? We think that is a clever use of space!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations on your new van!
Sorry to hear about your FIL and hope all can be resolved very soon.
Is the V55 the one with the swing out wardrobe from the shower? We think that is a clever use of space!
Yes, that's the one!

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Just felt like sharing our experience so far. To save you reading on, absolutely brilliant.
Since getting the van in January, every worry I had about it being too small has gone. Indeed, in just about every way, the inside space is better than in our previous 7m. coachbuilt. The bed is wider. the kitchen area is more user friendly. The toilet and shower area is likewise better. The swivelled cab seats are super comfy. I can't believe how much storage there is, we are taking all the stuff we took previously, even the stuff we'll probably never use.
And of course externally, being a 6m. PVC, driving and parking is so much more fun. Or at least less stressful.
We've been away several times, currently just back from 7 weeks touring in France, Germany, Austria and Italy, so it's had a pretty thorough testing.
There is one downside, we have a towball mounted bike rack which means we can't open the back doors when it's on, which is only a nuisance but one I could do without. Currently investigating an Atera Strada DL3 which should do the trick but having seen a couple, they looked kind of ungainly (am I picky or what?). But the other option is the Dutch thing that Eddie (Judgmental) championed, and that is super expensive. Any advice welcomed.
Cheers, Chris

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Great to hear you like your Rapido Chris! (y) We feel much the same as you about ours. And we have also been to Austria, Germany and twice to France this year. It's been superb, comfy and makes travelling a breeze.

Did you venture over the Grossglockner High Alpine Road in Austria?

Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Great to hear you like your Rapido Chris! (y) We feel much the same as you about ours. And we have also been to Austria, Germany and twice to France this year. It's been superb, comfy and makes travelling a breeze.

Did you venture over the Grossglockner High Alpine Road in Austria?

Cheers, Mike
Hi. No, we were headed for the Grossglockner, but a chance meeting with a young Italian couple sent us towards the Resschner Pass, which was great for many reasons and well illustrates one of the joys of travelling. We're off to Wales tomorrow, for about a week, then home with no real plans until heading for Spain towards the end of January for about 8 weeks. Isn't life great?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Hi. No, we were headed for the Grossglockner, but a chance meeting with a young Italian couple sent us towards the Resschner Pass, which was great for many reasons and well illustrates one of the joys of travelling. We're off to Wales tomorrow, for about a week, then home with no real plans until heading for Spain towards the end of January for about 8 weeks. Isn't life great?
Yes, the Reschen Pass looks cool! We spent quite a bit of time in south-east Austria, around the Worthersee and Klagenfurt area and can't wait to return. The Grossglockner was a real experience.

Have a great time in Spain! (y) We're going next September for nearly 5 weeks, and are booked on the Pont Aven to sail from Plymouth to Santander. :)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have a Rapido v53 and have the Atera Strada DL3 fitted about 4 months ago when we went electric bikes. :D

We fitted a 50mm spacer between the towbar and ball in our case it's the alko towball because that's what we had to tow our caravan, don't know if that makes any difference might make it a bit higher. :)
Tilted back with the bikes On, one on the front and we leave the centre one empty, we can open one door fully and the other enough to get our chairs out, the only time we have a problem is if we are on the ramps lifting the front because the carrier hits the ground not going back far enough stopping the door open. :D2 Bob. 20171013_114421.jpg20171013_114430.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back