Rapido A class or similar

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jagtazman, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Been looking at 07-10 plate rapido's and wife loves them however only 4 berths. Since we have 2 teenagers who really don't want to share. Was wondering if rapido or other manufacturers do a 5 berth ie convert front lounge as well as pull down front bed and rear bed.
    I like the longer tag axle motor homes as loads of space. But wife not to sure.
    Was thinking get a safari room and kick one of boys out into that. However that would rule out a lot of wild camping and overseas aires?
    Anyone got any suggestions?

2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

With 4 sizeable people on board, together with baggage, I'd look at payload first of all. French manufacturers are prone to be a bit creative in this respect. Assuming that you have grandfather rights on your license a larger van is the one to go for to avoid crowding and excess disagreement. Some A class vans have fixed bed at the back, double over the cab and a single made up in the lounge, which might suit. Safari room is ok if you can be bothered to fix it up every time, rain or shine.

We got a rumpy pumpy air awning for a bit of extra space and these are certainly worth a look
    .best of luck with your search

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Yup GF rights any ideas which A Class fit the bill have a budget upto circ 40k maybe tad more

4. DuxDeluxe

That sort of budget for a 10 plate van should easily get you what you need. I have a Pilote (excellent van) so not so familiar with Rapido models but I am sure that someone should be along soon to help

5. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Yes Pilote are nice we originally went to smc to view these but saw rapido's which we feel looked slightly better. But 4 berth might just have to have a major compromise with boys after all only a few years left holidaying with them
    Still researching so plenty of time just wondered if peeps who'd been or are in similar position have a point of view?

6. DuxDeluxe

Dethleffs make some very nice vans with enough room if you want to consider other brands. Or Burstner

7. Spidey

Spidey Funster

there is a rapido advertised on here that, I believe, has 2 singles and a pull down double. It's the 9048DF

8. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Cheers yes I do just struggling finding model numbers as not all for sale atm. In no rush tbh atm thinking end summer / autumn unless see one earlier thats a no brainer. It's fun researching and planning atm
    We originally looked at bunks on a smaller budget but found we were short sighted as would def selling within a few years so have got to a more reasonable budget and looking for one to last us a while.
    Be nice if there was a back catalogue of motorhomes lol

9. DuxDeluxe

That is a good plan. Good idea to get along to one of the shows (e.g Peterborough ) as there are a lot of decent used vans for sale. The layout plans sometimes result in a disappointing real life view

• Like Like x 2
  10. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the 9048DF only has a pull down double. Our 966m has 2singles and a pull down double. I don't think you will get a 5 berth in a Rapido unless you go for 1001 model with tag axle which may have an extra bed.

Spongy

11. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

In my view an 'A' class would not be on my horizon with a family in tow. As soon as the pull-down bed is utilised bang goes your lounge / kitchen; fine if everyone goes to bed at the same time and gets up at the same time....but in reality does that happen often, especially with teenagers?

Good luck in your search, there's plenty of options out there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

When my kids where young they always preferred their independence in a tent...also meant they did not wake us up coming in at all times of the night. We used to stop at Aires and they would sleep together in a double bed in van.....not sure what the hardship is with that as they need to get over each other and make the effort to get on surely:)

13. DuxDeluxe

.....though it has worked for us, but the Pilote has a massive lounge and plenty of room.

• Like Like x 1
  14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Our9048DF has a pull down double and a single which can be converted to another double or can be a single and a small single (small child size) so for a couple with two kids it could work fine. It also seats eight, yes eight when just used as a lounge.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Which pilote do u have?

16. DuxDeluxe

Reference G690. Got 4 belted seats but we only intended it was the two of us. The huge lounge with no fixed table is ideal for entertaining and also for the dog crate when driving. You could sleep 4 at a push but one of the singles is a bit short, so really for smaller kids. Apart from the huge lounge, the U.K. Spec kitchen and full width bathroom really sold it for us. Got a rumpy pumpy awning as well.

We have also seated and fed 8 in comfort

17. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Funster

an a class with twin single in the rear (for the boys who dont want to share a double) and a drop down up front for the couple that do.....

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If the boys shared a double but each slept with their heads at opposite ends and use sleeping bags, they wouldn't feel so 'close' ... might be worth considering?

Another option would be for one to sleep on an inflatable single bed/mattress on the floor ... our friend did that when he travelled to Germany with us in our converted ambulance which only had one double bed - he had to slot himself 'under' our transverse bed with just his head sticking out! :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Our girls sleep head to toe in the second double using duvet bags i made. :)

20. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Been talking to the boys about sleeping bags think this will be the way to go. Got hammocks if find some trees when out and about . Think they will been making the compromise not us lol

• Like Like x 2