Rapido 9083df heating thermostat

Discussion in 'Rapido' started by Sid52, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

I have the Truma C 6002EH heating and hot water system. The heating works well but can't be adjusted using the inner ring control, it justs runs full bore. The truma manual says there is a thermostat installed somwhere in the motorhome , but the Rapido manual makes no mention of it. Anyone know where it might be, or if there is one? It's a 2007 vehicle.

Cheers
    Sid

2. Steveboy

Steveboy Funster

I have Rapido 972m with same Truma. as far as I understand it thermostat is in the controller/switch. I turn the outer ring to either 40 or 60 degree and then turn the inner controller [nmbrd 1 to 5] till I hear the fan cut in and then progressively adjust it according to my separate, and nothing to do with the Truma, digital clock / thermometer.

it will come on full bore at the start if the inner controller is set high, say to 5, but will calm down as the temperature is reached. I find it struggles to cope with anything more than a 8 to 10 degree difference in outside and inside temps.

hope this is helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel

Mel Funster

On my Rapido
    The iner ring 1-5 is for heating only the outer ring is for heating + warm water or warm water only.
    When you look at the controle the right hand light {orange} is heating
    The left is warm water {if it goes red the heater is not working}

There can also be a proplem if there is air in the system.

4. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

Thanks for your replies. So it seems the thermostat is situated in the control panel and there is no remote sensor in the motorhome. The problem I have is that rotary switch, numbered 1-9, won't control the temperature, ie the heating stays on permanently.
    However it does seem strange that the truma manual has a picture of the room temperature sensor and says it's position is determined by the vehicle manufacturer.

5. williamb

williamb Read Only Funster

Heating

If you mean the thermostat for the heating there is a external sensor if it's an a- class you should have a sensor in the front drop down bed it's like a little black button in the center of the bed. This is a thermostat to stop the heating running when it gets to the temp set buy the outer ring on the heater control. I don't know if this is what you are looking to find.:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Styx

Styx Read Only Funster

In the 786F, the temperature sensor is a little black plastic button above the habitation door :thumb: I'd be surprised if you haven't got one somewhere... :Smile:

7. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Rapido

Same here in a 741f above hab door vented black button :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. laneside

laneside Funster

The thermostat in question is this little black button, ours is just above the habitation door.

Not much you can do with it though

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  9. Mel

Mel Funster

Yes thats where ours is in the drop down bed.

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Perhaps the temperature sensor has failed? If so, I believe you can get replacements. Click this link and it's the fifth item down.
    http://dealer.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/gb/trumatic_c/zubehoer_c.html
    Spares are available from places such as LeisureShop Direct.

Another thought - if the sensor is above the door (as most seem to be) make sure it is not in a draught when you are running the heating. Obvious I know, but if the heating is on and the door is slightly open, it may not shut down!

11. williamb

williamb Read Only Funster

What I would do in your case is locate the sensor start up the heating allow to run for five minutes get an hair drier and just blow warm air onto sensor if heating stops sensor ok if not sensor had it. Sometimes sensor seems to
    To be in coldest part of the van and that's why heating does not shut off.:shout:

12. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Auto-Trail chose to mount the sensor in the Comanche above the sink drainer, next to the cooking area. There is also an opening kitchen window next to it, and the roof extractor fan above it. :Doh:
    It would have made more sense to mount it somewhere in the living end of the MH above the cab area.

13. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

Thanks all, I always wondered what that black button was on the underside of the bed!

I disconnected and reconnected it but the inner ring still failed to adjust the heating even when the sensor was warmed with a hair dryer, so I suspect the sensor has failed.

Cheers
    Sid

14. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

Well I bought a new sensor and installed it but no joy. Tried the hairdryer as suggested but the heating still won't turn off. Assuming I haven't got two duff sensors, would it be a fault with the two ring heating control ring. There's some pretty complicated wiring behind it!

15. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

If the heater will not turn off ,i assume you can turn it down using the central knob on your heater controls if you turn it down and it keeps going you will need a new switch .

16. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Cant help on the ring control.... Mine has the ALDE central heating by radiators..

But as others have said the sensor in an "A" class is in the drop down bed near the windscreen...

Just as a could be check the wiring has not been broken when letting the bed down and up...

I may be wrong but I`m given to understand that they work on the principal of a sort of diaphragm... when the diaphragm gets hot it expands and makes an electric contact which in turn sends electric to the cut off switch...

If the wire is broken it will think it is cold and wont be able to send the electric to the switch off...

Hope this makes sense... :RollEyes::thumb:

17. WillH

WillH Funster

Steveboy, I have the same heating in my van and it has coped very well down to -5 outside temperature. Try running it on electricity and gas together. I believe it would be okay down to -10 anyway and still be shirtsleeves inside.

Rgds
    Bill

18. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

No, operating the central ring has no effect. That seems to be where the problem may lie. Seeing how much the sensor was, I'm not looking forward to the price of a new controller!

19. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

I'll check the wires again but couldn't see anything initially.
    I know a caravan/motorhome service chap who owes me a favour, so I think he will be my next port of call:BigGrin:

20. patmyhead

patmyhead Read Only Funster

in my van the thermo is in the overhead bed ,i traced the wiring from this & found it goes nowhere near the boiler but terminates in a cupboard at the rear !!!!!!!!!