Rapido 881F - Initial Thoughts - Delighted! (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Well we have finally picked up Le Truck’ (Rapido 881F from Wokingham Motors) and would have to say we are delighted. We are newbies so hopefully that isn’t misplaced! Wokingham were brilliant and very patience with us throughout the whole process. 2 years in the planning that’s part 2 of the retirement plan I only need to extract myself now…...

Few immediate thoughts on the vehicle.

We upgraded to the heavy chassis (4.25tonnes), thanks to all the payload chat on this forum, which came with the 150 BHP engine and 16 inch wheels but to my surprise chassis extensions under the garage, increasing the maximum garage loading to 300Kg I.e. double that of the standard 3.5 tonne version. Can’t find any mention of the increased capacity in the Rapido technical sales brochure –so well worth knowing if you are looking at the 8 series.

Managed 29 MPG on the way back up to Scotland so well pleased with that, given the engine isn’t run in at all yet, so this will hopefully improve.

Any issues – not really – water pump sounds a bit noisy when it kicks in during the night when the loo is used, it is a Sureflow pump but as I am so new to this malarkey not sure if that is normal. I was a bit peeved to find that, after the deal was done, I noticed that there were no blind spot mirrors. Not too much of an issue so far but going to fit some aftermarket ones so will post some pictures of that if there is any interest.

So what else is to do, install Gaslow/Gasit , Silver screens and some Fiamma bits to keep the tandem on the back and Europe here we come next March after some shakedown trips in the in the UK in October!

Had it weighed this weekend to get a baseline figure and this just confirms all the great advice on this forum about payload. Current weight of vehicle with2 gas bottles, about 75% of fuel, no water, bike rack (no bikes), spare tyre and a few odds and sods - 3530Kg. No awning, no telly no bikes, no food etc…. So as stated on this forum so many times 2 key things in my view when selecting a van are payload and layout in that order and view as many as you can. Not much point in a great layout if you have limited payload unless you want to tow a trailer!

Really impressed with the forum, I have gleaned a massive amount of information from everyone which definitely influenced how we went about the motorhome purchase – so thank you everyone!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

Sounds like you have found the ideal van for you, be nice to see some photos some time.

Where are you going on your Europe trip?

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
great choice in your van , we will be picking up our rapido 9000dfh jan/feb , keep the reports coming(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Paul,
Not planning to go to Europe until March next year but depending on the snow thinking of heading to Les Arc and perhaps Les Deux Alpes - we have a couple of camp site that we want to try along with the heated floor.

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Then find the sun and the current plan is thento head for the Netherlands to a Tandem rally towards the end of May. This all presumes that part 3 of the plan happens - I.e. Me retiring!

Should be able to post some pictures of 'the truck', as it is currently called, at some point.

T&C

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back