Rapido 785

Discussion in 'Rapido' started by BriantheSnail, Feb 6, 2011.

1. BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail Read Only Funster

Hi, All! Just traded in our 1997 AutoRoller for a 2003 Rapido 785, which we haven't yet collected. Anything we need to check out or look for before we hand over our hard-earned cash? It seems fine from our lengthy check, but it's always the little things that get you, isn't it? :Doh:

2. nomadic

nomadic Funster

If not already checked, check the AGE of the tyres, its recomended they be changed every five years.

Good luck and enjoy.

Nomadic

3. BriantheSnail

They seemed OK ... no cracking on the walls, but thank you so much for that; we'll take a closer look.
    btw ... why is there no waste bin in the MH? Has anyone got any Rapido 785 waste bin suggestions?! How daft is it not to put one in there? :thumbdown:

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My rapido (999M) also has no waste bin, or anywhere obvious to put one. We just hang up a carrier bag and chuck it when its full, however not very elegant.

5. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Make sure it has a full service history and if it is a fiat that the cam belt has been changed

6. BriantheSnail

A new cam belt is part of the deal, as is a full service and 12 month's MOT. All the paperwork seems to be in order, as well, but thanks for the info; we'll check carefully! :Smile:

7. BriantheSnail

Weird, isn't it? All that time and effort on the interior, but nowhere to chuck anything!! May I ask where you hang your carrier bag ... ?! :BigGrin:

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

There was a question about this in the 'In Gear' section of the Sunday Times today, and the response was that tyres do not need changing every five years. Dates of manufacture can be checked on the tyre sidewall.

Hope this helps.

9. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Re carrier bags. That's our method of waste disposal too and there are a couple of hooks screwed into the board, on the left as you go in, on the side of the sink/drainer. I have thought of buying a MH bin and fitting it there, but fear it will be knocked off as we go in and out. :Smile::Smile:

Ivy

10. Masman

Masman Funster

I have a 2004 785f. .check cab air con is working if yours has it.also check plastick fitting for the dining table is not cracked, nor a expensive part to replace but be carefull if you remove table to make up bed,it easy to break ,the table is very heavy.apart from this no problems so far,build quality exelent,We use ours all year.realy happy with it.Get out ther and enjoy it.:thumb::thumb:

11. bigfish

bigfish Read Only Funster

re the waste bin we have 2 x small coat hangers on the sink side as you go in the door, hangers wide enough to hang bags on, we have had a bin in a previous van but only something else to keep clean.:thumb:

Enjoy the new van great quality build we us eours all weathers all year.

12. BriantheSnail

The dining table is seriously heavy, isn't it? It rattled a lot on our test drive, but stupidly we didn't check underneath or behind it :Doh: Duhhh. You've answered my next question, as well: is it usable all the year round? Our Autoroller really couldn't cope with anything below freezing, so has spent 3 of the 5 months we've owned it doing nothing (!) Another silly question, along the lines of How Long is a Piece of String is, how long does the leisure battery last? Can't wait to pick it up (the van, not the battery!) ...

13. BriantheSnail

That's a brilliant idea! We had thought of lining the door pocket thing with a plastic bag and using that, but it's not really big enough. I can't believe that no-one thought of incorporating a bin, somewhere.

14. BriantheSnail

Something else I wonder about (don't laugh) is ... how safe is the ladder at the rear of the 785? I remember a couple in the port car park in Calais; they'd left their van for all of 2 minutes to walk around and stretch their legs, and in that time one optimistic gentleman had shinned up the ladder and was lying spreadeagled on the roof, while his mate had scrambled underneath and was trying to wedge himself inside the doings under the van. Are there ever any issues with parking up overnight, with the ladder in full view (unless, of course, it's parked the other way round :Doh:) and is there any way of making the ladder user-unfriendly? Might seem like a daft question, but we don't leave a ladder propped up on the house wall overnight, so just thought I'd ask (!)

15. Masman

Masman Funster

I have seen a cover somewhere a motorhome magazine that is suposed to stop you climbing on ladder, we go to france every year, never had a monkey trying to get on top.if you are worried go round a roundabout a few times they wont stay on for long:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:.seriosly i wouldnt worry about it.In winter i leave the wast water tap open and use a bucket or wast water carrier under the van and empty it every day, it dosent take long and it saves trying to thaw out the tank in extreamely cold wheather.ive seen folks with fan heaters under vans trying to thaw out tanks,not a good idea.enjoy your van.I hope you have as great a time as we have in ours.:thumb:.

16. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Tyres

Hi Brian,

True, the date of manufacture can be checked on the side wall.....that's one of the checks VOSA cary out when they set up roadside stop and inspection sites, usually when you/we are just of on our trips!!:Sad:

Further information on tyre use and age limit recomendations is available on both the CC and the C&CC w-sites, for downloading, if you are members. The same information is also available from RAC or AA.

Nomadic

17. BriantheSnail

Hi, Nomadic (I'm female, btw ... Brian the Snail is our MH!)
    Confused, now, over the tyre changing issue. The CC says they should be changed every seven years, but does this apply even if they've got more than enough tread on them? And what are VOSA looking for when they stop you? Do they adhere to the 5 year or 7 year rule?
    We're picking up our 785 on Saturday! Exciting!

18. Masman

Masman Funster

talking to local tyre repair center. He deals with vans & heavy goods tyres, as long as there are no cracks is side walls and tread, he says not to worry,seems sensible.im sure someone on here will probably tell me differently:Smile:

19. BriantheSnail

Surely - or am I just being a girlie here - the tread depth and tyre condition are what matter? Clearly, if a tyre's cracked and crazed it should be replaced, but if it's, say, 10 years old and in roadworthy condition, what's the problem? Kind of bears out what your local repair centre said.

20. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Tyres

Its simply, (as I was advised) the assumption that the vehicle may have been parked up for long periods of time, confirmed by low mileage, (compared to a goods vehicle) and a further assumption that the inner walls may be degrading....the first anyone knows about it is when a blow out brings a halt to a journey!!....and for the cost of a new set of tyres, provided by the supplier, or a contribution towards them, would provide a new set of tyres with a new start.

Enjoy your day

Nomadic